Where do you keep your bike if you live in an apartment? [Archive] - TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums

: Where do you keep your bike if you live in an apartment?

Danger H
05-20-2005, 10:11 AM
I would like to know how those riders that live in a apartment secure their bike? I live in a nice luxury apartment complex in a nice area, no riff raff here that is, but I wouldn't trust leaving a bike outside out of common sense.
:twfrox:

Grafixx01
05-20-2005, 10:13 AM
1st floor? Pull it inside. If not, get a Kryptonite lock and heavy cable and you can secure it to a pole, your car wheel/axle if you can manage, or the stairs and put the bike underneath them. That's what I'm gonna do. Unless the complex will allow me to bolt a locking mechanism to the concrete outside the apartment if I promise to fill in the holes.

Gas Man
05-20-2005, 10:40 AM
Just lock it up and carry theft insurance.... there's no real good answer... and this has been discussed in depth here...

XtremeRacingDiva
05-20-2005, 10:50 AM
I use to live in a townhouse/apartment complex I had 3 steps going down. I use my ramp and bring it down right into my townhouse and pull it in my room and sleep with my bike. LOL

Now I moved into a 4 story apartment complex area. Its very nice too and a few guys leave their bikes outside. I pay about $100 extra for a garage.

But you can always get a storage area for your bike for about $50 a month.

bumblebee
05-20-2005, 10:50 AM
When I lived in apartments, always had porch/patio on first floor or pulled into apartment.

Danger H
05-20-2005, 10:57 AM
I have seen a few cruisers parked outside and covered. I guess since I had a car stolen at my previous apartment complex, I sort of a worry wart. I suppose during the season, I could get a cable lock and a disc lock, and carry the theft insurance. My buddy who has a garage also offered me free storage during the winter, very cool.

Ace
05-20-2005, 11:16 AM
Always had mine garage kept and covered. My brother had his CBR stolen outside his apartment several years ago. 2 days later caught some ghetto 17 year old riding it. Cop pulled him over due to no plate, then noticed the triple tree and gas tank were all forked up. Insurance ended up totaling the bike and that was hte end of his riding days.

Danger H
05-20-2005, 11:19 AM
Always had mine garage kept and covered. My brother had his CBR stolen outside his apartment several years ago. 2 days later caught some ghetto 17 year old riding it. Cop pulled him over due to no plate, then noticed the triple tree and gas tank were all forked up. Insurance ended up totaling the bike and that was hte end of his riding days.

Man, I was thinking of renting a storage unit for it. I'll have to check and see what they are running around here.

Ace
05-20-2005, 12:49 PM
Man, I was thinking of renting a storage unit for it. I'll have to check and see what they are running around here.

The "riff raff" does not necessarily have to live there. They will come from the hood into the burbs and take yo $h!t. LOL I mean what fun is it for the riff raff to steal from other riff raff??

R1up0n1
05-20-2005, 12:50 PM
I keep mine parked and covered with the other bikes at the apartment complex. I always lock the bars. My bike has always been garage kept, and now it has to sit outside. ahh I can't wait till this 6 month lease is up so I can find a house with a garage!

A storage unit! When I want to ride I want to ride, not drive somewhere to go pick up my bike.

zx636r
05-20-2005, 01:08 PM
yup as i am looking for an apartment now, i figure i want a bottom floor with a patio out back or out front. i will most likely just pull it in the apt.

Samurai_Jack
05-20-2005, 01:20 PM
Scorpio Alarm is a pretty good alternative to secure (non-movable locks). It's quite expensive but it has a paging function that will let you know if someone gets near or touch/move your bike.

zx636r
05-20-2005, 02:32 PM
i have a scorpio and i will proally put my bike on the patio and arm it so it will also act as an alarm if someon tries to break in.

also i have heard of ppl putting there bike in fron of there car so that they can back a truck up too it.

WildMonkey
05-20-2005, 04:27 PM
A buddy of mine had a real nice Gixxer1K, forks locked, chained to his roomates car, came out in the morning, WTF? his bike was gone ! Oh, I forgot to mention, his roomates car was a marked Deputy Sheriffs cruiser ! I pay $80 per month extra for a garage which is big enough to keep my 'Busa & 'Vette in.

:pat:
Steve.

JayMax
05-20-2005, 04:39 PM
I've got mine in storage.

Sucks to get up 5am to ride my bike to work, but living in a place with no garage leaves me choice.

Also sucks to have to bring it back to the storage, then drive home.

I figure though, it would suck more to come out and NOT find my bike at all.

zx636r
05-20-2005, 04:43 PM
I've got mine in storage.

Sucks to get up 5am to ride my bike to work, but living in a place with no garage leaves me choice.

Also sucks to have to bring it back to the storage, then drive home.

I figure though, it would suck more to come out and NOT find my bike at all.

this is prolly what im gonna have to do if i cant get it in an apt. but this will suck casue right now i have a storage garage for my car and keep my bike at my home garage. if i move out and get another garage i will ahve to put the car back together agian and take it there jsut to rip it apart agian "no fun".

WildMonkey
05-20-2005, 05:55 PM
Measure the door to your prospective apt. and make sure you can roll your bike thru it ! Then just get some like rubber excercise mat to put under it ! It's better than a coffe table, and you can start some great conversation's that way ! Not to mention talkin' the girlfriend into gettin' a little freaky on the bike, in the comfort & security of your own home ! :dthumb: :dthumb: :dthumb:

:pat:
Steve.

Grafixx01
05-20-2005, 07:45 PM
That's what I'm gonna do as stated.

1st Floor apartment, if I can't pull it in, then it's gonna get Kryptonite Cabled to the stairs or I'll get a covered parking space and make sure it is next to the pole that holds the roof up. Then I'll put the cable through the frame and wrap it around the post, along with disc lock and maybe the Scorpio.

**Ok, ok, laugh everyone. I am. But it's kinda pathetic when you have a "motorcycle club" (so they call themselves but I think it's a bunch of SQUIDS on motorcycles really should be a gang) that goes around stealing your bike if it's nicer than theirs, you beat them in a race or they just don't like you cause you pissed them off for some reason.

Bandit 6S
05-21-2005, 03:57 PM
I got a better Idea. Move the hell out of the city and get a nice spot in the country. Lots of places where mom and pop have converted half their house or garage. When you get out of the city you will never go back. Big up side is the commute is longer which gives you more seat time! Also, you will find you may have a neighbor who is sympathetic to you're situation. Maybe you mow his grass and he lets you use his garage or something. Worth a thought. :cheers:

Grafixx01
05-21-2005, 08:39 PM
I got a better Idea. Move the hell out of the city and get a nice spot in the country. Lots of places where mom and pop have converted half their house or garage. When you get out of the city you will never go back. Big up side is the commute is longer which gives you more seat time! Also, you will find you may have a neighbor who is sympathetic to you're situation. Maybe you mow his grass and he lets you use his garage or something. Worth a thought. :cheers:

Better if "he" was a "she" instead!

junk yard jon
06-03-2005, 09:28 PM
i use to store it the living room.my ol lady use to love running into it at night.

jeeps84
06-03-2005, 10:39 PM
Locked out side or drive to storage building to ride?
I would dive to ride and still carry theft/fire insurance.
My shiot stays looked in my garage.

Remember if you use a storage building, Don't tell every body where it is.
I have a friend that had a bike stolen from a locked storage building. Got the bike back after it was crashed. Found out that a friend had told a friend looking for a storage unit and somebody overheard where the bike was at.