Two Wheel Forums banner

Old two stroke street bikes

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  larryg 
#1 ·
How many here have never rode a 2 cycle street bike? Someting like an Kawasaki 750 where the power comes on real sudden when it hits. I miss those days. You felt like you were going fast as the frames flexed all over the place :eek:

#2 ·
Nothing like the fear of riding the 2-stroke triples. I rode several of them. My best friend put a LOT of miles on the "water buffalo". It was a liquid cooled 2-stroke Suzuki. (GS750?)

Anyone see the recent show on Discovery Channel called "Japanese Sportbikes"? brought back a lot of memories.

#5 ·
carlmorrell said:
Nothing like the fear of riding the 2-stroke triples. I rode several of them. My best friend put a LOT of miles on the "water buffalo". It was a liquid cooled 2-stroke Suzuki. (GS750?)
That was the GT750 and I had a 1975. The two-stroke oil went into a reservoir and was injected with the gas so there was no premixing. It also had a digital gear indicator. The worst part was replacing the points (remember them). It had three sets and each had to be adjusted individually. With a power stroke every time the piston came up, it ran like a six cylinder. I traded it in on a 79 GS1000, which I still ride.

#8 · (Edited)
On my 350 six speed Suzuki we would pull over and file the points if it didn't feel just right by a street light. I traded my 69 Mach III Kaw for a Chevy Malibu. The guy came back and said it ran like $hit and I did something to tune it (no memory after 34 years) then he proceeds to the end of the street and almost flipped it. Best I ever turn was 12.8 with it. They would wobble around corners. They were enough to stomp my rich friends Mustang Boss 302 and the other guys 428 Corbra at the end of high school. :dthumb:

Mach III 500 was 999 back then. I think it top out about 140 but really forget. :screwy:

#9 ·
Hmmm ... does this count?

Ok ... so, it's not a monster, but it IS in our garage, next to the RGV250 that I'm putting back together :D We did a ground up restoration on it, including the new bodywork and Rossi rep paint job. It's Laura's street bike now.

- Brian Roach
SpeedWerks.com

#12 ·
No Worries said:
Speedwerks, is that Honda the NSR 250? What is it like for the street and track?
Yes, that's a MC21 NSR250 ('90 - '93). In all honesty, it's not the best streetbike in the world except for backroads riding. Stoplights suck. Also ... getting one on the street isn't easy. This one, someone had already titled. Technically, it's not legal for street use in the US as it's a two-stroke over 50cc and produced later than '86. It does, however, have a high cool factor as it's not something you see everyday.

On the track, they're a blast. Very comparable to the Aprilia "Cup Bike" (RS250), and WERA ans CCS have good classes for the bike to run in. They're light (about 280 lbs in race trim) and handle great, putting down about 60hp at the rear wheel.

- Brian Roach
- SpeedWerks.com

#13 ·
SpeedWerks.com said:
Hmmm ... does this count?

Ok ... so, it's not a monster, but it IS in our garage, next to the RGV250 that I'm putting back together :D We did a ground up restoration on it, including the new bodywork and Rossi rep paint job. It's Laura's street bike now.

- Brian Roach
SpeedWerks.com

Nice bike :whistle:

#14 ·
I've only ridden the RZ/RD 350's and 400's on the street and they were still fun. I knew a guy with and RZ500 that made an awesome sound. I've always wanted a Kawasaki triple but it just hasn't happened yet.

BTW, very cool bike SpeedWerks...I've seen a few bikes that shouldn't be legal titled and tagged. Enjoy it!

Larry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.