Two Wheel Forums banner

Hard to start SV650

4K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  No Worries 
#1 ·
My SV has had a hard time starting, lately. The battery seems fine, but I have to fully choke it for about a minute or it won't stay running on it's own. After that, it's fine.

I bought some carb cleaner, but I haven't had time to tear the bike down and get to the carbs to spray them out yet.

Is there anything else I should be looking for?

#5 ·
Yeah I would have to agree... run it full choke for 2 mins... if it's cold that is parf the coarse.

Didn't N4S have this problem and he got them cleaned and sync'ed???

So try full choke for 2 mins and see if it runs good after that.

#6 ·
As long as it starts with the choke and it runs fine at normal operating temperature, you probably don't have a problem.

Larry

#12 ·
My CBR uses Keihin carbs. Cleaned them many times, but not the choke plungers. The carbs have to be separated from each other and I don't want to do that. Here's how I clean them.

I turn my gas tank petcock to off when I come down the alley to my garage. The engine dies after a few minutes, and I let it cool down. The fuel line and float chambers are now dry. I disconnect the fuel line from the tank and pour carb cleaner into the line using a funnel until the float chambers and line are full. Then I connect the line back to the tank.

With the engine cool, I put the choke on full and start it. The carb cleaner from the float chamber and fuel line is running through the choke plungers and passageways. After a few minutes, fuel is running through the clean choke system. Not as good as taking the carbs apart from each other, but a lot less stripped screw heads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.