Two Wheel Forums banner

K1200S Test

7K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  bumblebee 
#1 ·
Motorcycle Consumer News (MCN) tested the S in their August 2005 issue. BMW finally fixed the fuel injection. "(It) pulls cleanly from below 2,000 rpm all the way to the rev-limiter at 10,750." So, is it faster than the busa? No. The MCN dyno reached 135hp. "The busa has a 25hp advantage in the mid-range and 15 on top." MCN compared it equally to the Honda CBR 1100XX (Blackbird). The measured top speed was 172mph.

MCN described the engine as "amazing." 50mpg, 0-60 in 3.17 seconds, and "very muscular low in the rev-range." The transmission now uses a multi-plate wet clutch, which is much better than the Boxer dry clutch. The adjustable ESA suspension "offers a level of convience and functionality that has been previously available only on luxury/sporting cars." I can vouch for the adjustable suspension when I took a twenty minute ride on the S. It's just incredible.

They didn't mention the weird turn signals. And they panned the lack of a centerstand. One tester said "We can't think of another bike that can go so quickly, for so long, with such composure." Another said "Think of the S as a remarkable sportbike that is comfortable enough to be a great sport-tourer as well."

#8 ·
No Worries said:
Motorcycle Consumer News (MCN) tested the S in their August 2005 issue. BMW finally fixed the fuel injection. "(It) pulls cleanly from below 2,000 rpm all the way to the rev-limiter at 10,750." So, is it faster than the busa? No. The MCN dyno reached 135hp. "The busa has a 25hp advantage in the mid-range and 15 on top." MCN compared it equally to the Honda CBR 1100XX (Blackbird). The measured top speed was 172mph.

MCN described the engine as "amazing." 50mpg, 0-60 in 3.17 seconds, and "very muscular low in the rev-range." The transmission now uses a multi-plate wet clutch, which is much better than the Boxer dry clutch. The adjustable ESA suspension "offers a level of convience and functionality that has been previously available only on luxury/sporting cars." I can vouch for the adjustable suspension when I took a twenty minute ride on the S. It's just incredible.

They didn't mention the weird turn signals. And they panned the lack of a centerstand. One tester said "We can't think of another bike that can go so quickly, for so long, with such composure." Another said "Think of the S as a remarkable sportbike that is comfortable enough to be a great sport-tourer as well."
Dyno numbers seen posted on BMW boards, seem to run 145-150 RWHP range. Dyno numbers can very from dyno to dyno.

#10 ·
bumblebee said:
Have they fixed the crankshaft problems? Or is that monster still looming in the background waiting to break
BMW did right thing. Sent all first batch of S bikes back to Germany. No major problems have been reported with updated bike :cheers:

#12 ·
ShanMan14 said:
I heard the people riding those bikes really got the shaft. :skep: :leaving:
Defects showed up when BMW sent over 100 demo bikes to race tracks around the world. These bikes got the crap rode out of them :dthumb:
Knowbody purchased any problem bikes. Problems just delayed release of S bike.

#14 ·
After test drive few weeks ago on S Bike. Love power and handling up grades to past K bike.
Comfort, my current RS bike better bike for 600 mile day road trips :dthumb:
R model would be my replacement bike :yikes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.