Two Wheel Forums banner

How cold is too cold for you to ride?

58K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  kokroch 
#1 ·
Just curious what each of you can stand before you say enough is enough? When I leave from and to work it may be down in the low 50's or upper 40's that's about it for me!

#8 ·
Me too, freezing to high 20's. Just got in from a half hour ride in 34 degrees with rain. I sport a Penguins Hockey Jersey over my jacket in the winter. Actually the reason I got the hockey jersey was to ride in the winter more than for the sport of hockey itself :dthumb:

#12 ·
I live in Toronto Ontario Canada, and generally we shut it down for Dec/Jan/Feb/, then fire everything back up the first warm day in March.

EnduroMotorcyclesBolg
You guys have some nice roads to ride up in Canada? It's been MANY years since I've been there about 25 to be exact LOL...

#14 ·
too cold to ride?

As long as there's no snow I'm good. Some really good things I've found are ; a rock climbing baclava which is like a ski mask only not as thick and bulky, I have a pair of Shift gloves, an Icon jacket with a gortex liner and Alpenstar race boots with a gortex liner. Couple that with insulated Carharts (I work outside) and I can commute a couple of hours in relative comfort.

#16 ·
I'm in the northeast - last year, I rode every week through the winter. This year, not so much. As long as there is no snow on the ground, I'd be out. This year, though, I decided the salt took too much out of the bike. Some of my anodized fairing bolts got eaten away, and the salt stained my lower fairing. I rode with a facemask, Joe Rocket Textile jacket, Joe Rocket textile pants, tcs boots and some GREAT skiing gloves. Under, I had all under armour cold gear (including socks). The only time i remember being cold - it was 9 degrees! I'm going to wait until some march showers take care of some of the salt, then fire her up. Hopefully sooner than later, though. I am jonesing to get back on the road!

#19 ·
alright Im gonna get made fun of for this but in the spring when I haven't been on the bike in a while Ill swing a leg over and go for a quick ride when it hits 50 or above but thats about as cold as I go. I know I know Im a wuss, but I HATE cold and I have real bad circulation in my hands. Ive broken 8 fingers (four on each hand) and have had frost bite on my fingers twice. So my fingers go completely numb and start to turn white under 50 or so. Doc told me to be real careful with it. Ive tried every kind of glove I can get with no luck. the gloves I wear in the winter are actually mittens and cost me 150 bucks they do the job but my fingers do still get cold while shoveling the driveway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.