Two Wheel Forums banner

Cold weather starting

11K views 39 replies 16 participants last post by  Gas Man 
#1 ·
Ok, so my bike hates the cold, I don't mind it so much.

Other than a shot of starting fluid, my M2 refuses to fire on it's own if it is under 50 or so degrees.

How do you guys get your bikes started in the cold?

Full choke or half choke?
A few twists of the grip or not?
Give it gas when it's turning over?

Or should I just give it up untill spring offically gets here?

#2 ·
Mine fires, but the minute I take the finger off of the start button I have to twist the throttle, I keep reving for about a minute, then she's heated up enough to run on her own. I have a FI injected bike, and I've started down to 38 degrees. Too much snow and ice now, I haven't tried to run her below freezing this month.

#5 ·
my 01 r6 starts easier in the cold than hot. It was low 20's a couple mornings here and full choke untill it warmed up a bit is all it took. Carbs. I like to twist the throttle a couple times before hitting the starter if it is ever stubborn though. (rarely) good luck

#7 ·
no crap!

How many times do I have to say it? :idk:

Do not start your bike repeatly through the winter!!!

The build up of heat inside your motor when surrounded by such cold causes condensation build up in and on your parts. Condensation causes surface rust. Surface rust in your motor causes engine cylinder gouging. Gouging causes compression loss which means your engine is FUBAR and will need a rebuild kit!

Point recieved?

#15 ·
Starting it up is not necessarily a bad thing, as long as you let it get up to full operating temp. However, if you're starting it JUST to start it and make sure it runs, then that is a bad idea and will result in the problems Gas Man brought up. If this hasn't been brought up in this thread, I recommend something like Sta-bil in the gas tank prior to putting the bike away and running the bike for a bit to let the sta-bil get into the lines.

#35 ·
Jeebus! This thread is a trainwreck... We gots a whole lotta people getting way too sensitive... :chill: boys and girls... This is the internet, just be glad the question was answered with a bold/red/72pt font 'SEARCH' and we don't have tell a newbie to get lost just because he's pizzed off... :twfrox:

:wtf: How am I the voice of reason? :crazy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.