Two Wheel Forums banner

What would it take to make an RS250 Street Legal?

11K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  R1up0n1 
#1 ·
So I've been talking to some people and an RS250 would be a SWEET bike to have... I realize they are not street legal, but does anyone know what the going rate for one is and how much it would cost to make the bike street legal?

#3 ·
looks like this guy found a way ask him

#5 ·
bumblebee said:
It is in your states Rules of the Road...In Fla...they must have headlight, tail lights visible up to 500 ft. Front and Rear brakes...Lighted license plate and turn signals...Hand/foot rests for all riders...and you are pretty much there...
isn't there a minimum speed limit law for it to be street legal?

#7 ·
That is all correct most likely.... but you may not need some of that... hence MC hand signals... but who knows... just ask a state trooper...they should know...maybe even one of your local PD's

#8 ·
Gas Man said:
That is all correct most likely.... but you may not need some of that... hence MC hand signals... but who knows... just ask a state trooper...they should know...maybe even one of your local PD's
like this one

#11 ·
wombat7 said:
I realize they are not street legal, but does anyone know what the going rate for one is and how much it would cost to make the bike street legal?
They are illegal. Period. Doesn't matter what you do to it :) Since '86 in the US, two-strokes over 50cc are not legal for road use.

Now .... if you were to somehow get it titled, and find some place that would insure it ... you'd have a bike on the street ... still wouldn't be legal though :D

In all seriousness ... the RS250 Cup bikes sold in the US have a race wiring harness with no provision for lights. You would need to either get all the lights (including the headlight unit and the street fairing stay), the handlebar controls, and wiring harness from a Euro street version of the RS250, or wire up some sort of lights and switches yourself (including flasher relay). You'd also need the street upper or cut the racing upper that comes with the Cup bike. Or ... you could buy someone's Euro RS250 that they somehow got titled in the states which has all the running lights and switchgear.

We have a '92 NSR250 and a '93 RGV250 in the garage, both with US titles. The real problem is getting them insured. No insurance company with a clue will insure them because they know they are not legal in the US for road use. You end up having to ... be vague ... and find a small insurance company that will give you liability only. Or insure/tag them as something else ... also not exactly leagal.

They're nice collectors' pieces though, and in another few years I should be able to title/register them as vintage vehicles which will make things easier and maybe even sorta legal.

- Roach

#12 ·
I've been trolling some Aprilia boards and have found that there are a lot of them that have been made street legal and have been lisenced, titled and insured. Progressive will insure them. There is actually a good write up on how to convert one to a street legal machine and it can be done for under 1500, or you can find a street legal one from 4.5K and up.

#13 ·
wombat7 said:
I've been trolling some Aprilia boards and have found that there are a lot of them that have been made street legal and have been lisenced, titled and insured. Progressive will insure them. There is actually a good write up on how to convert one to a street legal machine and it can be done for under 1500, or you can find a street legal one from 4.5K and up.
Good luck. I'm just telling you my experience. I have one of ours (the NSR) titled, tagged, and insured as well ... it's just not always as easy as some people will tell you it is, and it does vary by state as well.

- Roach

#14 ·
wombat7 said:

not to jack the thread, but F@#$ Progressive. I called them 3 years ago, and just 2 days ago for a quote, they give me a redicoulous quote then, and now. they want $1444 a year with $500 ded, and $744 a year with $1000 ded, and I'm supposed to get a USAA member discount. F that. I pay $585 a year now, it was $420 a year, but there were so many claims last year. I need to find a new insurance Co because where I moved to PA they don't write insurance here, so they think my bike is still in KY.
I just need to pay the bike off and put Liability on it, i've only got $1900 more to go.

#15 ·
SVupON1 said:
not to jack the thread, but F@#$ Progressive. I called them 3 years ago, and just 2 days ago for a quote, they give me a redicoulous quote then, and now. they want $1444 a year with $500 ded, and $744 a year with $1000 ded, and I'm supposed to get a USAA member discount. F that. I pay $585 a year now, it was $420 a year, but there were so many claims last year. I need to find a new insurance Co because where I moved to PA they don't write insurance here, so they think my bike is still in KY.
I just need to pay the bike off and put Liability on it, i've only got $1900 more to go.
that on an SV?!?!?!? Im 26 and I pay 18mo. with America National.

#16 ·
JK_DILLA said:
that on an SV?!?!?!? Im 26 and I pay 18mo. with America National.
Dude I need that number! I want to call them and see if they write policy's in PA. I am almost 24, I have plenty years of clean riding experience, and no tickets or accidents on my record right now.

If anyone else has a good Motorcycle insurance CO let me know. I've got to get another insurance company before they find out I really have my bike here in PA.

#17 ·
I know what you mean about bike insurance. When I started looking a couple months ago, I had the cash to buy and was looking at USAA insurance, but then they decided to quit covering bikes which really sucks for all us service members.

You might want to check State Farm. I have a friend who has a Busa insured through them and it is very reasonable, $25-30 a month.

Now back on task. Does anyone know where I can find the motorcycle lisencing requirements for the state of FL?? I tried to search for it, but couldn't find anything.

#18 ·
wombat7 said:
I know what you mean about bike insurance. When I started looking a couple months ago, I had the cash to buy and was looking at USAA insurance, but then they decided to quit covering bikes which really sucks for all us service members.

You might want to check State Farm. I have a friend who has a Busa insured through them and it is very reasonable, $25-30 a month.QUOTE]

I have a friend that went with them, they wouldn't insure just a bike, they wanted his atleast his car on the policy also...and he added his house for rental and he got a decient rate, but there is no way I am leaving USAA for auto insurance.

#19 ·
yes state farm u have to have some other insurance with them, but since you rent i think u can get renters insurance with them and then they will insure ur bike, but im not really sure on that one, i know they will if you ahve home owners insurance with them.

#20 ·
zx636r said:
yes state farm u have to have some other insurance with them, but since you rent i think u can get renters insurance with them and then they will insure ur bike, but im not really sure on that one, i know they will if you ahve home owners insurance with them.

When I take out renters insurance it will be with USAA anyway, no one can beat them on auto and home or renters insurance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.