Two Wheel Forums banner

07 gixxer 600 power gain

34K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  lgnd6 
#1 ·
Anyone knows what kind of power gain to expect with race filter, slip-on, TRE and PCIII on a 600?

#6 ·
The HP gain comes from the air fuel mixture optimization, but mostly from the 20lbs you drop from the stock exhaust. It's a simple mathematical equation really. Same Torque+ Stock Wieght= 210 Hp. Same Torque-20 Lbs from Stock wieght= 214 Hps. Hope this helps. FYI exhausts are purely cosmetic. Dropping wieght is the only way to gain HP on newer EFI model bikes. 110 HP stock is already far beyond expectations for a 600cc sportbike, and getting better then that comes only from shaving wieght. So choose the exhaust that makes you most Happy. I recommend the TwoBros VALE exhaust, it has a great deep throaty sound. Or just stick with the Yoshi, Zuk's and Yoshi go together like Prison and Buttsex.:cheers:

#8 ·
wait i dont get what u're saying. lower weight equals more power? i can see being lighter=less weight to carry=quicker acceleration/braking/cornering/etc., but how does that add power?
or do u mean the weight drop is equivalent to to hp gains?

#11 ·
There is no exhaust full system or slip on that will give you hp gains equivalent to that. You couldnt' change sprockets, b/c that just affects low end torque. With a BMC race filter, Aftermarket Lightwieght Exhaust and a Power Commander. You are looking at gains of maybe 5-8 Horsepower. As I said mainly b/c of the loss in wieght. Obviously with a wieght reduction you will gain top end Horsepower. There is less wieght bringing it down. Also with higher top end HP you wont notice it unless you hit the track frequently and are coming down the straights at 140 mph. So all in all, aftermarket is just as good as stock. Mainly aftermarket is for cosmetic/sound/user preference. On old Carbureted bikes you may have been able to port your engine and jet the carbs for higher hps, but guess what those bikes wieghed a fuckin ton. The 600's of today have the HP equivalent of the 1000's of 8 yrs ago. Pretty sick IMO.:cheers:

#13 ·
well, dynos do not lie. I have a precision tuned PCIII+race filter+race exhaust+TRE=124 HP at the wheel. I don't see how its a problem, being that a stock k7 puts out just over 109 hp at the wheel. We are talking about a 14 hp gain - I don't think that it is out of this world. My friend has an 06 kawi 636 with 126 rear wheel hp.

#14 ·
wow 8hp at the wheels is actually a decent gain, since a gixxer has about 12-15% (actually all engines for that matter) drivetrain loss from crank to wheel. 8hp wheel gain is something felt. plus weight savings from the breadbox we call the exhaust.
I have bmc, with Micron GP(loud) exhaust. make it breath better, bikes like that.

#15 ·
Loss in weight has absoutely NOTHING to do with hp. Having a lighter bike will make it faster in all directions due to having to motivate less mass to make a change in any directions via hp:weight. Your not going to save any weight by changing a slip on, <5lbs of low centered weight. In some cases shaving weight off the exhaust system will adversely affect handeling due to rasing the center of gravity. Gearing is the most effective change you can do, tho it is not a power adder. I highly doubt you'll reach more than 115 rwhp on any 600 with anything bolted on whithout going internal mods such as high comp pistons or cams.

#16 ·
Dropping wieght has a lot to do with speed gains and horsepower. I do however agree with you on dropping center of gravity and losing handling control b/c the bikes are designed for that type of exhaust. Dropping wieght will make the bike go faster though, and most likely give you better read outs on HP. Obviously not on a Dyno, but on a track is a different story.

#17 ·
Dropping the weight off the motorcycle will not add any horsepower. (All circumstances being the same). If you dyno an engine on the motorcycle or off the motorcycle the HP will be the same. Dropping or re arranging the weight of a motorcycle will definately change the handling and characteristics of the way the bike performs on a track.

#18 ·
Like I said before not on a Dyno b/c it's like running on a treadmill. It doesn't account for wieght and stride of a runner just like a Dyno doesn't account for wieght and acceleration of the bike. Power is the ability to do work, the ability to do work comes from wieght loss and higher revs per minute. Air fuel mixture has a lot to do with that b/c it accounts for the revs. Sprockets and a stronger drive chain help as well, keeping the power to the rear wheel.

In summary Horsepower doesn't matter anyway, b/c if you take a liter bike or a 600 to a quarter mile track you are wasting your time. Take it to a real track and see how you do, after a few lowsides maybe you'll understand horsepower to the rear wheel isnt always a good thing in the corners. :)

#20 ·
Like others have said...decreasing weight absolutely will not increase horsepower. Horsepower is a function of torque. Horsepower numbers on a dyno are not even measured. A dyno measures torque and then calculates what the horsepower is by doing the formula of (torque(ft-lb) x engine speed(rpms)) divided by 5250=horsepower.
This is why the torque figure and horsepower figure are exactly equal at 5250rpm. This is true for any and all motors...cars, bikes, semi-trucks.
By decreasing weight, all you do is create a better power to weight ratio. Which is what will win you a drag race! A 150hp motor in a 1700lb Harley will be slower than 150hp motor in a scooter. The same motor will produce the same power...it just has less weight to thrust.
Also, a bike or vehicles weight is completely irrelevant on a dyno. As far as the dyno is concerned the vehicle is weightless. The "treadmill" that it is running on is a specific weight...often time 550 lbs. Being that 1 hp is defined as moving 550 lbs a distance of 1 foot in 1 minute. By having a roller with a known weight, the computer can do its calculations to determine torque and hp figures.
That is why dyno runs are usually done in a high gear. The test needs to be done over a period of time. So that way you will know the weight of the object being moved (roller), the time of the pull (30 seconds or whatever) and the distance the object is being moved (the circumferance of the dyno roller).

I know this thread is ssuuuppppeeerrr old but I hate people getting incorrect information.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.