Two Wheel Forums banner

Coolant system? Flush or not.

8K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  justpucky 
#1 ·
Hey guys not sure if or when the coolant has been changed in my bike. My question is should I flush and fill or just drain and fill. It's still a nice green color and I don't see and rust but either way I'm going to change it. What do you guys use? Flush type, coolant type?

Thanks

#3 ·
drain, fill with distilled water (no other type), run till fan comes on, drain, fill with water, run, drain, fill with Engine Ice. Its the blue stuff. You will need 1.3 bottles...there for buy 2 bottles cause you aren't suppose to dillute.

#12 ·
I would say only yearly. No more for sure. Heck I might even go as far as saying every other year maybe. Depends on the riding and milage.

However, I don't think the rinse out would be as important if your just changing out your engine ice for new engine ice.

#14 ·
Yes it lowered the temp of my 9R by like 12 degrees. No joke!

Further it is a non-glyco based coolant so its track approved! And it won't freeeze thru the winter like water with water wetter.

Go ahead and check with Twisty.. he'll confirm... I not BS'in ya!

Also don't forget... you are more than welcome to come over for some lift time if you want to put in the drive time

#16 ·
i forgot to mention, don't open your radiator cap when the engine still hot. coolant will spray out. if you do need to open it, put a rag over it and use a channel lock plier with safety goggles on. i've had hot coolant splash on my face once when i was a mechanic (i had goggles on but it still freaking hurt).

-a|ex

#17 ·
When I do my engine flushes on a hot motor... I always pull the bottom hose going into the water pump... drains the radiator and the motor for the most part. But yes be carefull... use a rag or leather gloves.

#18 ·
OK now that I have the new oil in my shocks I'm ready for the flush. I run some distilled water thru the system till the fan come on. No problem. Drain no problem. Cap, not a problem either. How do you drain the system of all the distilled water I'm sure their will be some left in the system, how do you make sure it's all out before I add the Ice? Or, just drain it the best I can and roll with that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.