Two Wheel Forums banner

Should I *need* to choke my bike to start it?

4K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Captain Morgan 
#1 ·
Seems lately my bike won't even start unless it's choked. The last time this happened, the carbs were clogged and it cost me over $200 to get 'em cleaned.

I know my air filter is clogged, but would that cause rough starting?

#2 ·
u know I had just had this problem, and it cost me 250.00 to get the carbs cleaned, among a couple other things. BUt with my kat, you nearly always have to choke it, about 1/4 of the way to get her to fire up if its even the slightest bit cold outside. Since that maint, its been 100% better than it was b/4..i still have to choke, but she warms up ALOT quicker now.

#3 ·
I cleaned out everything in the float chamber of my carbs and it was still hard to start. The choke, or as Honda calls it the bystarter valve, had to be cleaned. The problem is that each valve faces another carb, so they had to be completely dismanteled from each other. I think there were 36 phillips-head screws holding the carbs together, and each wanted to strip their head.

After lots of cusing, impact wrenching, and vice grips on two screws, I got them apart. I cleaned out 14 years of crud in the bystarter valve, without mixing up any parts. $250 would have been cheap for what took me two whole days. Starts right up now, using the choke when cold. I never use the choke when the engine is warm.

#4 ·
No Worries said:
I cleaned out everything in the float chamber of my carbs and it was still hard to start. The choke, or as Honda calls it the bystarter valve, had to be cleaned. The problem is that each valve faces another carb, so they had to be completely dismanteled from each other. I think there were 36 phillips-head screws holding the carbs together, and each wanted to strip their head.

After lots of cusing, impact wrenching, and vice grips on two screws, I got them apart. I cleaned out 14 years of crud in the bystarter valve, without mixing up any parts. $250 would have been cheap for what took me two whole days. Starts right up now, using the choke when cold. I never use the choke when the engine is warm.

I'd gladly pay to NOT have to go through that.

#6 ·
Yes you need a choke...and yep, your carbs need to be cleaned...just do it over the winter...

Even FI bikes/cars have their own style of a choke. That's why they also idle up when you start them...

#7 ·
A bike that doesn't need the choke (actually an enrichener) is probably too rich. However, you should only need it to get the bike to fire and run for a couple of minutes. I don't like to use the choke for the high-idle to warm up it up to operating temperature. I prefer to turn off the choke as soon as the bike will accept light throttle and maintain an idle.

Larry

#16 ·
Mojo said:
It's all those fancy left-handed screwdrivers they use in production. They're much more technologically advanced!! :D
:lol: Good one Mojo! I'm sure it's nice and advanced but it does the same thing....

I'm not trying to debate the advancement of the Suz just that FI also has it's own type of choke...

#17 ·
It really depends on the weather. Also, have you ALWAYS had to choke the bike, or is this recent. If it's recent, and it's not getting cold outside where you live, then you may need to have some work done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.