Need help lowering a 2007 gsxr 600 : TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums > Manufacturers > Suzuki

Old 05-09-2007, 04:02 PM   #1
Sydearm
Learning To Post

Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 600
Need help lowering a 2007 gsxr 600

I just got my lowering links to lower my 07 gsxr 600...Is that all that i will need to lower it or are there tips anyone could give me about lowering a bike. Any info or advice would be appreciated.
Sydearm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2007, 09:40 PM   #2
Gas Man
V-Twin Moddin

Motorcycle: 2009 Street Classic

Get the weight off the rear end and swap them out. Its not hard.

However you should lower the front the same amount to help with the bikes geometry. Then beware of ground clearances!

Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:

is me till the
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:47 PM   #3
saverok

Motorcycle: 2005 gsxr600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post

Get the weight off the rear end and swap them out. Its not hard.

However you should lower the front the same amount to help with the bikes geometry. Then beware of ground clearances!
bam....he got to it before I could...
saverok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:52 PM   #4
bikergal
Knee Dragger

I'm in the same boat here. I just picked up my 600 GSXR and need to lower it as well.

Also I was told you need to fix the kickstand to adjust to the difference in height. I think you have to cut and wield??

Let us know how you make out
bikergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:28 PM   #5
Gas Man
V-Twin Moddin

Yes don't forget the kickstand.... Good call! But on some bikes... alot of GSXRs don't need it too much though. They lean over a good amount stock... it just won't lean as much.. of coarse that depends on how much you lower it.

IS:

is me till the
Old 05-11-2007, 06:22 PM   #6
jnn7404
Sportbike Junkie

Motorcycle: 00 kawasaki zx6r
Yeah but how can you lower the front other than that tacky lower the triple clamp crap? My buddy bought a bike already lowered and the front is also lowered but looks stock.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:27 PM   #7
ebbs15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnn7404 View Post
Yeah but how can you lower the front other than that tacky lower the triple clamp crap? My buddy bought a bike already lowered and the front is also lowered but looks stock.
are you sure it's lowered? it may look lowered because of the original raked look of the bike... now it just sets level. other than lowering the triple clamp... the only think I've seen was straps... maybe shorter springs? but that'd reduce your travel of the forks
ebbs15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:30 PM   #8
GSXRGirl
Lifetime Premium

You will need to lower the front...it may not need to be the exact amount as the rear as you want to keep the bike at the same plane as the factory.

I did not have to cut or weld my kickstand. I used the 2nd hole on the dog bones...they say that is 1 1/2 inches...front forks were not lowered that much, less than 1 inch.

.....07 Z06
Dreaming of another Viper
GSXRGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:32 PM   #9
GSXRGirl
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnn7404 View Post
You can have the forks internally shorten as to not see the forks stick through the triple.
My GSXR handles so much better now , since the forks no longer float in the triple.
GSXRGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:15 AM   #10
bikergal
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRGirl View Post
You can have the forks internally shorten as to not see the forks stick through the triple.
My GSXR handles so much better now , since the forks no longer float in the triple.

So how did you lower your bike GSXRGirl? You had a different link put on the bike? How exactly did they lower the front? Can you explain in a little more detail? Also what did you do with your kick stand? What do you mean by using the second hole on the dog bones??? Ya lost me there
Old 05-12-2007, 04:26 PM   #11
Gas Man
V-Twin Moddin

Ok.. dog bones... that is the part that connects your rear shock to the frame of the bike. One end of the shock is connected to the swing arm and the other to the dog bone that is connected to the frame.

As you can see on this SV650... the dog bones are at the bottom like most bikes..

Dog bone...

STOCK

3 way adjustable

Fully adjustable and there for better..plus you don't ahve to un-weight the rear to adjust it up or down. Just spin the center cause the eye loops are thread in.

Yes the most popular and cheapest fix for the front end is to slide the forks up thru the tripples. Some bikes come that way a little factory!

The other and more correct way is to actually replace or cut the fork springs...

IS:

is me till the
Old 05-13-2007, 12:27 AM   #12
bikergal
Knee Dragger

Thank you GasMan for your last post. Now I understand what a "Dog Bone" is
Old 05-13-2007, 07:04 AM   #13
Gas Man
V-Twin Moddin

No problem... that's what I'm here for...to help if I can.

IS:

is me till the
Old 05-13-2007, 07:57 AM   #14
OneSickPsycho
Banned

Quote:
No problem... that's what I'm here for...to help if I can.
And to as much as possible...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 12:56 PM   #15
Gas Man
V-Twin Moddin

Not so much anymore.... If you were only around back the hay day of TWF. N4S, DJ, myself and Shan. That was the revolution of post whoring...

IS:

is me till the
Old 05-14-2007, 03:15 PM   #16
the ghoul
Knee Dragger

I am currently testing my bike to see how much I can drop it.
For the SV there seems to be a couple stages of drop (with fixed dog bone) seems to be from 1/2" to 4"
so what I did (because Iím worried about the front shock dust boots getting beaten up by the lower triple trees).
What I did is marked out 4 grease pencil marks on the front forks.
One 1" from the bottom of the tree, one 2" down, one 3" down and one 4" down.
Iím going to ride it like that for a few weeks and then view the results. I would like to get it as low as possible (for pure aesthetics and the fact that Iím short) but I donít want it to beat its self to death.
so the theory is that if the 4" grease pencil mark is warn off but not the 3" I know its safe to lower it 3". Shock wise, thatís not mentioning ground clearance.
The SV kick stand doesnít settle much when you put it down. so I am going to cut mine down. I ride out to the country allot so that means parking on very un-even land. I am paranoid enough as it is much less with the bike standing straighter up.
If you only ride and park on pavement I wouldnít worry too much about it with only an inch drop.

I have seen lowering straps. Does this compress your front shocks, making a stiffer ride and lowering it?

That was another thing I was considering. Doing my grease pencil markings at the stock squishy setting, then with the pre-load kicked up. and then maybe get my hands on a set of cheap straps and doing the same.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:13 AM   #17
Phenix_Rider
TWF Champion

Motorcycle: '07 Ninja 650R
Send a message via AIM to Phenix_Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ghoul View Post
I have seen lowering straps. Does this compress your front shocks, making a stiffer ride and lowering it?

That was another thing I was considering. Doing my grease pencil markings at the stock squishy setting, then with the pre-load kicked up. and then maybe get my hands on a set of cheap straps and doing the same.
I'm surprised no one has answered this yet. As far as I know, those straps are for drag racing only. They help hold the front end down and keep your suspension from bouncing and soaking up any power that should go to the track.
Phenix_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:30 AM   #18
Rider
TWF Board Of Directors

Just rmember that if you are already used to riding the bike at the current height, once you lower the front end, it will steer into the turns quicker. Just be careful until you get used to it.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:30 PM   #19
Gas Man
V-Twin Moddin

Furthermore, if you're concerned about compression in the forks. The old trick is to put a zip tie on your fork. For standard forks... see how far you push it up. For upside down forks see how far you push it down.

IS:

is me till the
Old 05-15-2007, 08:54 PM   #20
the ghoul
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Furthermore, if you're concerned about compression in the forks. The old trick is to put a zip tie on your fork. For standard forks... see how far you push it up. For upside down forks see how far you push it down.
even better than my idea!
I love it!

Go Back   TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums > Manufacturers > Suzuki