Carb to EFI conversion!!! : TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums > Technical, Tuning & Aftermarket > Technical Help, Maintenance & Tuning

Old 05-27-2007, 06:09 PM   #1
JLaurentZX7R

Motorcycle: 1993 Kawasaki ZX7R
Send a message via Yahoo to JLaurentZX7R
Carb to EFI conversion!!!

I am thinking about converting my 93 zx7r from carberated to fuel injected would this be a wise idea? would it give it a better fuel curve throught the RPM range? Where would i go about getting a conversion kit if i decided to do this? The reason i am asking is because i am having problems with my fuel curve being to rich (i can smell the fuel in the exhaust) if a EFI conversion isnt in my best interest what could i do to get a better fuel curve throught the RPM range? Any and ALL help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
JLaurentZX7R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2007, 06:13 PM   #2
NONE_too_SOFT
TWF Champion
'07 Rally Veteran

Motorcycle: 1998 CBR600F3
no no no, you are asking for way way way to many headaches.

You need a jet kit, not a FI system. you may also need to replace the floats in your carb, or possibly degunk your carbs (although that would cause the mixture to be too lean in most cases).
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 06:26 PM   #3
King Bob
Factory Racer

Motorcycle: 1975 Honda CB550F
Send a message via AIM to King Bob
to do an FI conversion, you would need the fuel injected throttle bodies, complete wiring harness, ECU, etc. what you need is to adjust what you have, if your mixture is too rich, you MIGHT have a float sticking in one of your carbs.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:29 PM   #4
JLaurentZX7R

i have cleaned the hell out of the carbs the guy i bought it from said it was re jetted a year and a half ago the floats seemed fine when i took it apart but you might be right about the jetting if he lied about it or it was jetted wrong.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:33 PM   #5
King Bob
Factory Racer

Motorcycle: 1975 Honda CB550F
Send a message via AIM to King Bob
if it was rejetted before, odds are something isnt right in the way it was done.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:30 PM   #6
NONE_too_SOFT
TWF Champion
'07 Rally Veteran

Motorcycle: 1998 CBR600F3
jet kit. Nuff said.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 08:01 PM   #7
No Worries
First 1000 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
jet kit. Nuff said.
In Kentucky, it must be around 2,000 feet in elevation. Those jet kits are for highly modified bikes at sea level. If anything had to be done to richen your carbs, it would be to richen the idle mixture screw or raise the jet needle. The kit probably richened the main jet, which is usually rich from the factory. Find out what stock is and try and get those jets if they weren't included with the bike.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:32 PM   #8
marko138

Motorcycle: 1992 Suzuki GSXR 750
Send a message via AIM to marko138
Buy a new bike. Or fix your current set up. Otherwise you'll hate yourself later.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:01 PM   #9
777Customs
Sportbike Junkie

Motorcycle: '03 Honda CBR 600RR

More headaches then it is worth.

http://www.myspace.com/777customs

The only difference between suicide and killing yourself is whether of not you had fun doing it.
777Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:57 AM   #10
Joe4g63gsx
Rookie

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/webzxr/zxr750r/index.html

First place to start!!!

I just got finished working on a friends bike that did what you are talking about....It was a stock 95 and it didnt run worth a crap. I tried everything until I found this site and removed the valve under the tank...

Go to the tech tips and look at the float bowl mod...

After I did this mod I used my stock 95 ZX6R needles and dynojet 150 main jets all that I had left over from jetting my ZX6R. The bike ran so much better it scared the **** out of me!!

If I were you I would do the mod listed above and call Factory Pro for a jet kit!! Tell them what all is done to your bike and tell them that you did this mod which seams to be widely known in the ZX7 community and they should be able to set you up with the right kit for you.

Trust me it Helped my friends bike a ton!!!!!!

"Just because you can do it doesn't make it a good idea"

Joe4g63gsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:59 AM   #11
Joe4g63gsx
Rookie

I'm sorry I just remembered that you said it was jetted. What size were the main jets and did it have stock needles in it? Were the needles shimmed? all things that will help

"Just because you can do it doesn't make it a good idea"

Joe4g63gsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:40 PM   #12
JLaurentZX7R

problem fixed

i did the mod took the valve out and now its running great all i need is to get it rejetted cause apparently the guy i bought it from lied to me cause or just didnt change the needle jets their still stock. Thanks for all the help.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:06 PM   #13
Gas Man
V-Twin Moddin

Motorcycle: 2009 Street Classic
And now get it jetted and dyno tuned...

There is NOTHING wrong with carbs. They are just more mechanically complicated than FI. Where as FI is more electronically complicated. It just depends on what you're comfortable with.

Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:

is me till the
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums > Technical, Tuning & Aftermarket > Technical Help, Maintenance & Tuning