Carb cleaner : TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums > Technical, Tuning & Aftermarket > Mods and Aftermarket

Old 12-03-2004, 07:18 AM   #1
ShanMan14
Administrator

Motorcycle: 1999 Suzuki SV650S
Carb cleaner

Is it advisable to use the spray stuff, made for cars, on a bike? Also, what about the fuel system cleaner additives?

If you can't tell, I'm a bit concerned about my fuel system getting gunked up. I added the STP Stab-IL yesterday, but I wonder if I can reverse any damage already done without physically tearing down down the carbs?
ShanMan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2004, 11:34 AM   #2
GSXR1000DJ

Send a message via AIM to GSXR1000DJ Send a message via Yahoo to GSXR1000DJ
Looks like this will be a question for Larryg.

"Post Up or Shut Up"

Speed doesn't kill...It makes you feel alive.

03 GSXR 1000
GSXR1000DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 06:12 PM   #3
Gas Man
V-Twin Moddin

Motorcycle: 2009 Street Classic
I wouldn't see why not...carb system is a carb system...the only major difference I can see is that you have more carbs....say on a 4 cyl bike

Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:

is me till the
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 06:21 PM   #4
GSXR1000DJ

Send a message via AIM to GSXR1000DJ Send a message via Yahoo to GSXR1000DJ
And theres an answer. Thanks Gas Man.

"Post Up or Shut Up"

Speed doesn't kill...It makes you feel alive.

03 GSXR 1000
GSXR1000DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 06:33 PM   #5
Gas Man
V-Twin Moddin

Well, I'm not saying that..let's Larry key in!!!

IS:

is me till the
Old 12-04-2004, 12:09 AM   #6
No Worries
First 1000 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanMan14
Is it advisable to use the spray stuff, made for cars, on a bike? Also, what about the fuel system cleaner additives?

If you can't tell, I'm a bit concerned about my fuel system getting gunked up. I added the STP Stab-IL yesterday, but I wonder if I can reverse any damage already done without physically tearing down down the carbs?
The jets on an automobile carb are much larger than the tiny jets in each carb on a bike, so they don't clog very often. Carb spray works good on the tiny air jets on my carbs, as they can clog. But mostly carb spray is used to free up the exterior choke linkage on a car, which can bind.

Pouring carb cleaner in the gas makes it too dilute to do any good. You really have to take the carbs off to do it right. I just did mine. You probably already know about cleaning the jets in the float chamber, but what about the vacuum chamber?

The piston holding the needle has to be cleaned, as well as the air bleeds under the diaphram. You have to be careful with the diaphram, as you don't want to rip it or get (too much) carb cleaner on it. I use a little Vaseline to hold the edge of the diaphram in the groove when reassembling the top cover. After cleaning, I do a carb balance and test ride. Whoo-hoo.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 02:15 AM   #7
ScottSellersUNR
First 1000 Member
June 2007 BOTM Winner!

Send a message via AIM to ScottSellersUNR Send a message via Yahoo to ScottSellersUNR
Go FI... jk
As far as cleaners... i dont see why not, wouldnt do it a lot, could corrode the rubber boots in the carb if u did it too much, but my 500 id use it one if i ever ride the thing again.

As for additives.. id say avoid em, ive heard htye are NOT good at all for high compression and very high outout motors like bikes run....if you want to run cleaner run shell premium and then a lil bit of VP 113 in it instead... supossed ot use higher octane fuel and not booster. it doenst take much VP to boost octane safely....just dont overuse the VP and get the octane levels too high if you dont hjave a very high compression bike... mines only 11.5:1 so i run like 2 capfuls per tank.
ScottSellersUNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 07:55 AM   #8
Gas Man
V-Twin Moddin

Good point Scott...

Worries...some good points too. I was thinking after I posted, that I would also recomend that you don't add any additives unless you know you're going to burn off that tank of gas in your riding that day or the next. Don't want to let that stuff it in your system.

Also, carb cleaner in a spray can yes, is intended for exterior use, but can be used on the interior of the carb. Use to do it all the time...remove the air filter and with motor running, spray the cleaner into the carb...all it is going to do is burn off... But I was refering to carb/FI cleaner that you pour into your tank...additive...

IS:

is me till the
Old 12-05-2004, 09:31 PM   #9
larryg
First 1000 Member

Spray carb cleaner is spray carb cleaner, it will remove deposits from evaporated fuel. I'm not a big fan of fuel additives but stabil is a good way to have your carbs survive the winter. The big thing to look out for in fuel additives is that they are safe for rubber components in the fuel system.

Larry
Old 02-22-2005, 07:24 AM   #10
GsxrJack
First 1000 Member

was just going through some old posts......I would not spray carb cleaner into a motorcycle carburator ever, i have seen it attack the rubber diaphram on the needle slide assy, it swelled up so big i couldnt get the cover back on......like larry said, you have to be real carefull of anything that will attack rubber in the carbs. very very bad.

if you want to clean the carbs, remove the top cover and needle slide assy and the bottome bowl and spay away..then blow it out good with compressed air, and reinstall.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:39 AM   #11
twisty
Banned

How hard is it balance the carbs?
twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 07:52 AM   #12
GsxrJack
First 1000 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisty
How hard is it balance the carbs?
to sync them(balance) is easy, sometimes though the ports that u have to put the hoses from the (gauge with the 4 tubes) since i cant think of the name of it and couldnt spell it if i did..(menometor sp.) can be a pain in the kneck to get to....

basicly you want them all to be between 2"(marks) of the gauge of each other, i like to get them better...

theres 3 adjustment screws, you adjust them in banks, the left 2 and then the right 2 and then those 2 together...its really a piece of cake..

i remember on my honda i had to have a special tube that installed on the intake of the head to attatch the hoses to, but most bikes have a small port by each carb that has a rubber cover on it, thats what u attatch the hoses from the gauge to..
Old 02-22-2005, 08:06 AM   #13
GsxrJack
First 1000 Member

carbstix is what i have, pretty cheap gauge..mine is filled with mercury..i would beleive they use water now, but not sure....

i use to have carbs all over the garage, but i must have cleaned it up and thrown them out to show the ports the 4 hoses connects to..but u cant miss them
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carbstixa.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	2227   Click image for larger version

Name:	carbstix2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	2228  
Old 02-22-2005, 08:09 AM   #14
twisty
Banned

Cool thanks, where do I buy the gizmo?
Old 02-22-2005, 08:22 AM   #15
GsxrJack
First 1000 Member

look up carb stick, shoulld be able to find them...maybe speedworks carrys them...with fuel injection comming into play, they may start getting hard to come by..
Old 02-22-2005, 08:30 AM   #16
twisty
Banned

yeah my r6 is carbed and every other bike I have FI
Old 02-22-2005, 10:56 AM   #17
Gas Man
V-Twin Moddin

There is alot easier way!!! Take the carbs off the bike...put them in a trash bag and take them to Brighton Superbike and have him sync them!!!

Much much easier!

In a race bike, that is something you might want to do every year or 2. I had mine done when I had it jetted! Even dealers will do them off the bike for about $40!!

IS:

is me till the
Old 02-22-2005, 11:13 AM   #18
GsxrJack
First 1000 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man
There is alot easier way!!! Take the carbs off the bike...put them in a trash bag and take them to Brighton Superbike and have him sync them!!!

Much much easier!

In a race bike, that is something you might want to do every year or 2. I had mine done when I had it jetted! Even dealers will do them off the bike for about $40!!
not easier just another way to do it if you dont have carb sticks...its much easier to just hook up the 4 hoses and check them anytime you want, and just adjust them if needed. pulling the carbs off some stock bikes can be a real pain with the stock air filter setups...I'd also rather have them adjusted on the bike that there going on ,,,,

so i wouldnt say easier, just another way you can do it

carb sticks cost around 40.00
Old 02-22-2005, 11:19 AM   #19
twisty
Banned

Im with Jack, strange huh? I WILL NOT LET ANOTHER MAN PUT HIS GREASY HANDS ON MY BIKES. They make books, vids and many other tools to do it yourself to just repair or make more HP. I know my bikes inside and out and never will another person work on them.

That like letting another man sleep with you wife.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:25 AM   #20
GsxrJack
First 1000 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisty
Im with Jack, strange huh? I WILL NOT LET ANOTHER MAN PUT HIS GREASY HANDS ON MY BIKES. They make books, vids and many other tools to do it yourself to just repair or make more HP. I know my bikes inside and out and never will another person work on them.

That like letting another man sleep with you wife.
well thats another good point, when my ass is on the line when im at speed, whether on a track or the street, i want to be the one responsible for my bike when i comes to tires, brakes etc.....though synking your carbs isnt gonna kill you i just always feel better knowing i did it than someone else...

that and try ripping the carbs off any older gsxrs with the stock airbox on...

Go Back   TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums > Technical, Tuning & Aftermarket > Mods and Aftermarket