How long before adding Sta-Bil? : TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums > Technical, Tuning & Aftermarket > Technical Help, Maintenance & Tuning

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2005, 01:19 PM   #1
ShanMan14
Administrator
 
ShanMan14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: FREE THE HOPS!
Motorcycle: 1999 Suzuki SV650S
Posts: 10,104
How long before adding Sta-Bil?

How long after your bike sits should you think about adding fuel stabilizer? Lately I've been going long stretches without riding, for one reason or another. I don't want to cause unnecessary damage.

Also, will frequent use of fuel stabilizer create problems?
ShanMan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-26-2005, 01:22 PM   #2
jeeps84
Moderator
Lifetime Gold Supporting Member
'07 Rally Veteran
 
jeeps84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Western N.C. (The Great Smoky Mountains)
Motorcycle: 1987 GSXR 50, 1996 Ducati M900, 07 GSXR 750, 07 Harley Davidson Night Train
Posts: 20,168
Send a message via MSN to jeeps84
I would only use it if I knew the bike or whatever vehicle is going to be stored for months at a time.
__________________
Submit your ride for the TWF Bike of the Month here


Currently ride 1987 GSXR 50, 1996 Ducati M900, 2005 GSXR 1000
jeeps84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 01:55 PM   #3
bumblebee
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,147
I would say within 30 days...Golden Eagle doesn't give a recommendation on its site

http://www.goldeagle.com/sta-bil/all_about_sta-bil.htm
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 02:50 PM   #4
EIDROEDYR
First 1000 Member
 
EIDROEDYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Detroit, MI-Rivercyde
Posts: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeps84
I would only use it if I knew the bike or whatever vehicle is going to be stored for months at a time.
My wife's ride is STA-BIL'd and now hibernating for the offseason. I'll be riding for another month then away she goes.
EIDROEDYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 05:33 PM   #5
Bandit 6S
First 1000 Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Millville, PA
Posts: 149
I think anything under a month is ok. Also a good idea to keep the tank full if it will be sitting for a while. Less area inside the tank to draw moisture and corrode.
Bandit 6S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 08:21 PM   #6
Gas Man
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Motorcycle: 2009 Street Classic
Posts: 38,916
I have news for you guys... your gasoline sits in the tanks for quite sometime, alot longer than 1 month... and it doesn't go bad... over thinking it...
__________________
-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 08:39 PM   #7
EIDROEDYR
First 1000 Member
 
EIDROEDYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Detroit, MI-Rivercyde
Posts: 667
If you don't use STA BIL and don't fill up the tank, how fast will corrosion/rust appear? I ask because I will be pulling all the plastics for some minor repair/modifications as well as the tank for painting during the winter but I didn't want to bring the tank in the house. I am planning on leaving it in my shed with as little fuel as possible until painting (February). In that time (approx. 4-5 months) can I expect corrosion/rust in my tank to be an issue?
EIDROEDYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 09:23 PM   #8
R1up0n1
First 1000 Member
April 2006 BOTM Winner!
'07 Rally Veteran
 
R1up0n1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Camp Hill / Hbg, PA
Motorcycle: I did ride a 00 SV650.>then a 03 Yamaha YZF R1> Now 04 R1
Posts: 9,790
Send a message via AIM to R1up0n1
I only put that stuff in when the bike was up for the winter..which last year and the year before I have been so tempted to go for a ride in 30 degree whether.
__________________

-My 2004 YZF-R1 - GYTR Exhaust, HID's, BMC Filter, PUIG DB, PCIII and more...
-2000 SV650 = Sold
-2003 R1 = Demolished, Sold
-2004 R1 = Lovin it!

http://www.myspace.com/r1upon1
R1up0n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 10:05 PM   #9
jeeps84
Moderator
Lifetime Gold Supporting Member
'07 Rally Veteran
 
jeeps84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Western N.C. (The Great Smoky Mountains)
Motorcycle: 1987 GSXR 50, 1996 Ducati M900, 07 GSXR 750, 07 Harley Davidson Night Train
Posts: 20,168
Send a message via MSN to jeeps84
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVupON1
I only put that stuff in when the bike was up for the winter..which last year and the year before I have been so tempted to go for a ride in 30 degree whether.
Allot of my winter rides start and finish in 30 degree weather.
__________________
Submit your ride for the TWF Bike of the Month here


Currently ride 1987 GSXR 50, 1996 Ducati M900, 2005 GSXR 1000
jeeps84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 10:07 PM   #10
jeeps84
Moderator
Lifetime Gold Supporting Member
'07 Rally Veteran
 
jeeps84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Western N.C. (The Great Smoky Mountains)
Motorcycle: 1987 GSXR 50, 1996 Ducati M900, 07 GSXR 750, 07 Harley Davidson Night Train
Posts: 20,168
Send a message via MSN to jeeps84
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIDROEDYR
If you don't use STA BIL and don't fill up the tank, how fast will corrosion/rust appear? I ask because I will be pulling all the plastics for some minor repair/modifications as well as the tank for painting during the winter but I didn't want to bring the tank in the house. I am planning on leaving it in my shed with as little fuel as possible until painting (February). In that time (approx. 4-5 months) can I expect corrosion/rust in my tank to be an issue?
I would drain the tank completely, take the cap off, let air dry, then store it in the house till ready for paint.
__________________
Submit your ride for the TWF Bike of the Month here


Currently ride 1987 GSXR 50, 1996 Ducati M900, 2005 GSXR 1000
jeeps84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:17 AM   #11
bumblebee
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man
I have news for you guys... your gasoline sits in the tanks for quite sometime, alot longer than 1 month... and it doesn't go bad... over thinking it...
Not my gas...I push a tank a week at least..."wut u talkin 'bout Willis?"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:26 PM   #12
Gas Man
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Motorcycle: 2009 Street Classic
Posts: 38,916
Real gasoline tanks at tank farms.... the place that the refinery puts the gas after the refining process and where it is stored before the semi truck picks it up to take it to your gas station... those gas tanks!
__________________
-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 11:29 PM   #13
R1up0n1
First 1000 Member
April 2006 BOTM Winner!
'07 Rally Veteran
 
R1up0n1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Camp Hill / Hbg, PA
Motorcycle: I did ride a 00 SV650.>then a 03 Yamaha YZF R1> Now 04 R1
Posts: 9,790
Send a message via AIM to R1up0n1
Have no fear Gas Man is here....and would know the answer!
__________________

-My 2004 YZF-R1 - GYTR Exhaust, HID's, BMC Filter, PUIG DB, PCIII and more...
-2000 SV650 = Sold
-2003 R1 = Demolished, Sold
-2004 R1 = Lovin it!

http://www.myspace.com/r1upon1
R1up0n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 02:06 AM   #14
mlkx3
First 1000 Member
 
mlkx3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Motorcycle: 2006 ZX-10R
Posts: 387
Send a message via Yahoo to mlkx3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man
Real gasoline tanks at tank farms.... the place that the refinery puts the gas after the refining process and where it is stored before the semi truck picks it up to take it to your gas station... those gas tanks!
Ya but those tanks are lined to protect the metal. Using sta-bil is not overthinking anything. I clean carbs every spring for friends who thought that way.
mlkx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 06:15 AM   #15
Gas Man
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Motorcycle: 2009 Street Classic
Posts: 38,916
The floors are lined but not the tank sides themselves... hey I'm just being the devil's advocate... I use stabil in my bike every year as well.... and in my gas for my generators and other gas powered stuff...
__________________
-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 07:18 AM   #16
EIDROEDYR
First 1000 Member
 
EIDROEDYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Detroit, MI-Rivercyde
Posts: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeps84
I would drain the tank completely, take the cap off, let air dry, then store it in the house till ready for paint.
So I drained the tank but there is still a small amount that remains....How do get the last little bit of gas out?
EIDROEDYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 12:56 PM   #17
rworkman98
Tank Slapper
 
rworkman98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Motorcycle: '98 ZX-9R
Posts: 199
I only bother if I'm storing something for > 60 days without running it once.
__________________
2002 Corvette Coupe Red/MN6/Z51 Mods: VaraRam Intake, B&B Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust and X-Pipe, Hurst Shifter, !CAGS, various cosmetic upgrades
2005 GTO IBM/Blue/MN6
1998 Kawasaki ZX-9R
1982 Datsun 720
rworkman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 01:55 PM   #18
talisman_13
Rookie
 
talisman_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sacile, Italy
Motorcycle: 05 R6, 78 CB750
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man
The floors are lined but not the tank sides themselves... hey I'm just being the devil's advocate... I use stabil in my bike every year as well.... and in my gas for my generators and other gas powered stuff...
Whoa, whoa...this is my field here fellahs...
Gasman, if the tank is lined with any coating (Epoxy...it's like Teflon), ALL components of the tank are coated. That includes the suction pipe, the vent pipe, the inlet pipe, the floor, sides, the gauging system whether automatic or manual. API (American Petroleum Institute) 650 and 653 states this. This of course applies to new tank construction and alteration of older tanks. All underground storage tanks without secondary containment were required to be replaced in the 90's. So...all your gas stations have NEW tanks...epoxy coated of course. At any rate, gasoline in the tanks that are filled from barges, truck, tank-car or cross country pipeline doesn't sit for months. The world uses so much fuel the amount is staggering. Our 250,000 gallon bulk gasoline tank that feeds the 5,000 gallon gas station tank has to be refilled twice a month. That's over 500,000 gallons of gas for a fleet of <2500 vehicles. I can't tell you what the local Amoco does, sorry. I bet it isn't too far off however. As for how long gasoline actually burns...it'll *burn* after years of storage. Sta-bil is an alcohol mixture that mixes with water and gas. Petroleum products don't mix with water hence the rainbows on the pavement. That's where "it just won't run right" comes in when the carbs are adjusted, the air filter is clean, the plugs are good...how 'bout the fuel? The problem is, after 3-6 months, gasoline alone doesn't burn effectively. It'll burn yeah, but not the way it should. The probelm comes from carbon atoms losing um...power? (carbon dating). What power? Don't ask me. Ask a chemist how that whole thing works. Anyway, the alcohol in Sta-Bil mixes with the water (from condensation) and gasoline to make it more flammable...hence supporting combustion. You could put a 25 cent bottle of isopropyl alcohol in your tank and achieve the same results. Smell old gas sometime...it smells...well, old. It won't burn as well. Carburators (sp?) can handle it with a choke adjustment...that's why your lawn mower will start, but it won't burn the way it should. Your plugs will be fouled a bit. As soon as you put fresh gas in however, it'll clean your plugs just like new (provided your carb is set right). Anyway, yes, if you're going to store your bike for the winter(or more than three months), put Sta-Bil in...it won't hurt a thing. Like Bandit said, keep the tank full. Air space draws moisture. If you want to drain it, fine. Take the cap off, the remaining gas will evaporate. As for how long it takes to corrode? Well, gas tanks in cars and bikes aren't coated (I wouldn't think so at least) so how long does it take for that scratch on your door to rust? Too fast in other words. Keep your tank full when it sits, add your Sta-Bil (READ THE RATIO!!!! TOO MUCH IS BAD) and ride happy!
__________________
LFM ROX!!
talisman_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 01:56 PM   #19
talisman_13
Rookie
 
talisman_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sacile, Italy
Motorcycle: 05 R6, 78 CB750
Posts: 110
Holy Crap that's a long post!
__________________
LFM ROX!!
talisman_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 02:24 PM   #20
EIDROEDYR
First 1000 Member
 
EIDROEDYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Detroit, MI-Rivercyde
Posts: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by talisman_13
Whoa, whoa...this is my field here fellahs...
Gasman, if the tank is lined with any coating (Epoxy...it's like Teflon), ALL components of the tank are coated. That includes the suction pipe, the vent pipe, the inlet pipe, the floor, sides, the gauging system whether automatic or manual. API (American Petroleum Institute) 650 and 653 states this. This of course applies to new tank construction and alteration of older tanks. All underground storage tanks without secondary containment were required to be replaced in the 90's. So...all your gas stations have NEW tanks...epoxy coated of course. At any rate, gasoline in the tanks that are filled from barges, truck, tank-car or cross country pipeline doesn't sit for months. The world uses so much fuel the amount is staggering. Our 250,000 gallon bulk gasoline tank that feeds the 5,000 gallon gas station tank has to be refilled twice a month. That's over 500,000 gallons of gas for a fleet of <2500 vehicles. I can't tell you what the local Amoco does, sorry. I bet it isn't too far off however. As for how long gasoline actually burns...it'll *burn* after years of storage. Sta-bil is an alcohol mixture that mixes with water and gas. Petroleum products don't mix with water hence the rainbows on the pavement. That's where "it just won't run right" comes in when the carbs are adjusted, the air filter is clean, the plugs are good...how 'bout the fuel? The problem is, after 3-6 months, gasoline alone doesn't burn effectively. It'll burn yeah, but not the way it should. The probelm comes from carbon atoms losing um...power? (carbon dating). What power? Don't ask me. Ask a chemist how that whole thing works. Anyway, the alcohol in Sta-Bil mixes with the water (from condensation) and gasoline to make it more flammable...hence supporting combustion. You could put a 25 cent bottle of isopropyl alcohol in your tank and achieve the same results. Smell old gas sometime...it smells...well, old. It won't burn as well. Carburators (sp?) can handle it with a choke adjustment...that's why your lawn mower will start, but it won't burn the way it should. Your plugs will be fouled a bit. As soon as you put fresh gas in however, it'll clean your plugs just like new (provided your carb is set right). Anyway, yes, if you're going to store your bike for the winter(or more than three months), put Sta-Bil in...it won't hurt a thing. Like Bandit said, keep the tank full. Air space draws moisture. If you want to drain it, fine. Take the cap off, the remaining gas will evaporate. As for how long it takes to corrode? Well, gas tanks in cars and bikes aren't coated (I wouldn't think so at least) so how long does it take for that scratch on your door to rust? Too fast in other words. Keep your tank full when it sits, add your Sta-Bil (READ THE RATIO!!!! TOO MUCH IS BAD) and ride happy!
How long does it take for the gas to evaporate? I had my tank sitting on my back porch with gas cap open for 48 hours and the gas hadn't evaporated. I put the tank back in my shed this morning and locked the cap (didn't want any critters climbing in). Like I previously stared, I want to bring the tank in the house asap to prevent any corrosion to the tank. I guess I'll have to remove the cap, turn it upside down and empty the remaining fuel through the filler hole.
EIDROEDYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply
Go Back   TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums > Technical, Tuning & Aftermarket > Technical Help, Maintenance & Tuning


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum