Two Wheel Forums banner

bicycle and Viper tires... (SPLIT)

2K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  rworkman98 
#1 ·
I rented a Viper in Hawaii. It was awesome, until I broke it...

#4 ·
rworkman98 said:

Gas Man said:
There's a story I would like to hear! :D
:readng: :iagree: with Gas Man here...please do tell us more!

#5 ·
Gas Man said:
Originally Posted by rworkman98
There's a story I would like to hear! :D
Well, almost all the highways are two lane roads in Maui, and I rented the Viper for 24 hours. We drove the "road to Hanna", which is a great trip. I got into the habit of quickly speeding up, passing a number of cars all at once, and getting back in my lane. Near the end of the trip, I tried to pass 4 cars and a semi, with a SUV fairly close in the oncoming lane of traffic. Halfway through the pass, I realized that I couldn’t make it. So instead, I slammed on my brakes, and swerved onto the opposing lane’s shoulder. Evidently, when you go from 100mph – 0mph on a car without antilock brakes, it wears a huge flat-spot in the tire, thus ruining them.

With the flat spot, the car shuddered when driven between about 5 and 40 mph, but I hoped the rental agency wouldn’t notice. I returned the car about an hour later, and drove away, thinking I’d gotten away with it. Shortly thereafter, they called my cell phone, whereas I tried to persuade them that the tires were like that when I got the car. They didn’t believe me, so I paid for the replacements. Viper tires are expensive!

#8 ·
Gas Man said:
:yikes: How did that run ya? About $1G!
Only the front tires were ruined, so I lucked out. I think had to pay around $300 apiece for them. The back tires would've been much more.

#9 · (Edited)
SVupON1 said:
Vette tires will run ya $1G GM!
I paid $1172 for a set of 4, and I think I got a good deal on them.

SVupON1 said:
You would think a car like a Viper would come with ABS as a standard option! :2cents: :crazy:
I would've thought so too. But this was an old first-generation Viper. I think it was a '92. It didn't have AC either.

#11 ·
jetskifast said:
Stock rear C5 tire run $565 per tire from GoodYear :crazy:
Only $361.00 if you buy from TireRack.com. :) But then you have to pay to mount them too (usually $15-20 per tire)

#12 ·
rworkman98 said:
Only $361.00 if you buy from TireRack.com. :) But then you have to pay to mount them too (usually $15-20 per tire)
Problem with buying from tirerack is mounting costs. After buying my rims and purchasing non runflat tires from tirerack, cheapest mount could find was $45 wheel.

#13 ·
jetskifast said:
Problem with buying from tirerack is mounting costs. After buying my rims and purchasing non runflat tires from tirerack, cheapest mount could find was $45 wheel.
Now that this thread is completely off track... :sorry:

For non-runflats, mounting should be no more than $15 / wheel. Did you try their "preferred business partners" from the tirerack website? For runflats, it may be a little more. I bought some tires from them about 3 weeks ago, but I just mounted them myself. :) $0 mounting and dynamic balancing is the right price for me. :dthumb:

#14 ·
rworkman98 said:
Now that this thread is completely off track... :sorry:

For non-runflats, mounting should be no more than $15 / wheel. Did you try their "preferred business partners" from the tirerack website? For runflats, it may be a little more. I bought some tires from them about 3 weeks ago, but I just mounted them myself. :) $0 mounting and dynamic balancing is the right price for me. :dthumb:
Balance also included in $45. Bay Area all tire shops charged extra if you didnot buy tires from them.
Also found out most tire shops will match tirerack.com price if you bring in tirerack quote ;)

#15 ·
jetskifast said:
Balance also included in $45. Bay Area all tire shops charged extra if you didnot buy tires from them.
Also found out most tire shops will match tirerack.com price if you bring in tirerack quote ;)

I guess it's just more $$ around your area. I agree on matching. That's what I did for my Corvette tires. Discount Tire was able to match the price, and they included mount and balance. But when I bought tires for the Grand Prix last month, noone else was in the same ballpark, so I mounted and balanced them myself, since I had access to a machine.

BTW, whoever split this thread from the original one, good idea! :cheers: (Thought I don't get the "bicycle tires" reference) :confused:

#16 ·
rworkman98 said:
I guess it's just more $$ around your area. I agree on matching. That's what I did for my Corvette tires. Discount Tire was able to match the price, and they included mount and balance. But when I bought tires for the Grand Prix last month, noone else was in the same ballpark, so I mounted and balanced them myself, since I had access to a machine.

BTW, whoever split this thread from the original one, good idea! :cheers: (Thought I don't get the "bicycle tires" reference) :confused:
Which tires did you go with? For all around use Pilot sports have worked out for me ;)

#17 ·
jetskifast said:
Which tires did you go with? For all around use Pilot sports have worked out for me ;)
I went with the Firestone Firehawks. Have you been happy with the dry traction on the Pilots? I didn't want an all-season tire, because I don't drive the 'Vette in the winter, and care most about maximum traction on dry roads. Did you feel that you had to give up some dry road performance to go to the all-season Pilots?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.