Two Wheel Forums banner

Need electrical help

2K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  hotcustombike 
#1 ·
I been trying to find out the electrical layout starting at the battery to the what then what. All the electrical layout for big v-twins. Sorry so stupid of a questions but i've been trying to figure this out. can somebody please help a brotha out.:help:

#5 ·
Ok... well, I'm not sure where to send you but I'm sure most are pretty common/same. Well besides some like Big Dog that have "Tadle boxes"

What are you trying to accomplish/fix?

#7 ·
jeeps84 said:
It goes from the battery to the starter and from the battery to the fuse box. From the fuse box, it goes every where. Is that on track with the question?:scratch:
yeah that is on track. I just found that it goes from the battery to the silnoid to the starter. but that is all i now. I'm trying to find out the rest of it. Me and a friend are in this debat about the rest and we both are not sure.

#9 ·
well it is a problem because i'm looking into building custom bikes (choppers and prostreet). I know how to do everything else but the electrical and my friend is the same. So yes we are both debating the problem we have but it is also a problem that I need to look into in order to build these bikes. it sucks because i can fabicate and do everything else. i want to know the whole electrical system so i can do all the work myself and put all my blood, sweat, and tears into these bikes.

#10 ·
hotcustombike said:
well it is a problem because i'm looking into building custom bikes (choppers and prostreet). I know how to do everything else but the electrical and my friend is the same. So yes we are both debating the problem we have but it is also a problem that I need to look into in order to build these bikes. it sucks because i can fabicate and do everything else. i want to know the whole electrical system so i can do all the work myself and put all my blood, sweat, and tears into these bikes.
Just get a repair manual for a HD. I should have a wiring diagram and its about as basic as it gets.

#13 ·
Most custom bikes have custom wiring harnesses as well. You may want to see if any of the aftermarket suppliers offer a generic harness that you can adapt to different bikes. A local custom shop should be able to point you in the right direction.

Larry

#18 ·
buellx1 said:
the major question is FI or Carb?
FI has a whole ahrness, a Carb bike only has one like 2 wires going to the engine, the starter i believe

All the bikes that I want to build will be carb. I know that it has a wire going from the battery to the silinoid and starter. That is pretty much as much as I know. Right now I'm taking apart my 81 twinstar paralel twin to find some more of this stuff out. wish me luck guys. anybody know anything else, hit me back

#19 ·
Well, one thing that I've learned in business is that you can't do everything yourself. I understand WHY you want to, but it's not really beneficial to do so. The reason is because it will cost you MUCH more in time than it would cost for you to hire someone competent to do the wiring. They will be able to do it much faster than you can. You can then spend those extra hours doing the things you do best, like fabricating. The absolute best advice I can give you is to do what you do best and hire someone for the rest. Ever watch any of the bike building shows? They have a different person that works on different areas of each bike for a reason.

#20 ·
Captain Morgan said:
Well, one thing that I've learned in business is that you can't do everything yourself. I understand WHY you want to, but it's not really beneficial to do so. The reason is because it will cost you MUCH more in time than it would cost for you to hire someone competent to do the wiring. They will be able to do it much faster than you can. You can then spend those extra hours doing the things you do best, like fabricating. The absolute best advice I can give you is to do what you do best and hire someone for the rest. Ever watch any of the bike building shows? They have a different person that works on different areas of each bike for a reason.

Good point. And when said person is hired you can learn from him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.