How do Buell's compare? - TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 646
How do Buell's compare?

Are Buell's as fast as asian bikes? How about handling?For instance is a xb9 like a cbr 929? I know the Buell is a v-twin but how do they compare?
jnn7404 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 09:31 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnn7404 View Post
Are Buell's as fast as asian bikes? How about handling?For instance is a xb9 like a cbr 929? I know the Buell is a v-twin but how do they compare?
I have zero hands on experience, but I will be more than happy to regurgitate information I have read elsewhere...

Buells are torque monsters... Meaning from light to light, they're hard to catch... Top end power though, not so much... So in other words, if you are looking to roll at 150+ go elsewhere.

They handle like champs... Good brakes and suspension, low unsprung weight...

XB9 would be NOTHING like a 929...

V-twin = Torque. Inline 4 = Top end HP. Torque = quick, HP = max speed.

Torque, great especially on the street. HP, much more useful on the track. Again, if top speed is your thing, look elsewhere...
OneSickPsycho is offline  
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 11:27 PM
TWF Champion
 
SVRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 3,631
Send a message via Yahoo to SVRider
and they sound MEAN too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
they make the one i posted in a strap on version
SVRider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 11:39 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRider View Post
and they sound MEAN too!!


I think it's the Harley in 'em.

I have a Blast, the ity bity baby Buell (500cc). I have yet to have a problem with it. Mine is a single cylinder but I do just fine and it pulls plenty for corners. I'm told with a few tweaks I can get it even better, which I am looking into and I will let you guys know.

OSP's right though, if you're looking for top speed look elsewhere. Other than that, all the owners I know like them.
brie is offline  
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 11:41 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesickpsycho View Post
I have zero hands on experience, but I will be more than happy to regurgitate information I have read elsewhere...

Buells are torque monsters... Meaning from light to light, they're hard to catch... Top end power though, not so much... So in other words, if you are looking to roll at 150+ go elsewhere.

They handle like champs... Good brakes and suspension, low unsprung weight...

XB9 would be NOTHING like a 929...

V-twin = Torque. Inline 4 = Top end HP. Torque = quick, HP = max speed.

Torque, great especially on the street. HP, much more useful on the track. Again, if top speed is your thing, look elsewhere...
you are exaggerating a bit. an inline four DOES NOT lack any low end power what so ever. it is a monster. A vtwin does not lack any top end power what so ever.

they are just different engines that have slightly different characteristics.

the line between a vtwin and an I4 is much thinner than many of you like to admit. its present, but it will only make a difference if you have ridden both for years and years.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline  
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 12:10 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
you are exaggerating a bit. an inline four DOES NOT lack any low end power what so ever. it is a monster. A vtwin does not lack any top end power what so ever.

they are just different engines that have slightly different characteristics.

the line between a vtwin and an I4 is much thinner than many of you like to admit. its present, but it will only make a difference if you have ridden both for years and years.
he meant comparatively.... a V-Twin will make a I4 seem lacking in the low end... and the I4 will make the V-Twin seem lacking in top end.... with similar motor sizes of course
ebbs15 is offline  
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 12:11 AM
TWF Champion
 
SVRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 3,631
Send a message via Yahoo to SVRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
he meant comparatively.... a V-Twin will make a I4 seem lacking in the low end... and the I4 will make the V-Twin seem lacking in top end.... with similar motor sizes of course
yeah, my SV650 got SPANKED by a buel today...
Guess that's what a few hundred cc's will do.
but it was a pretty buel

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
they make the one i posted in a strap on version
SVRider is offline  
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 12:13 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRider View Post
yeah, my SV650 got SPANKED by a buel today...
but it was a pretty buel
I don't think they make a Buel that's a similar size to yours... (how big is the blast? 500? 600?)
ebbs15 is offline  
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 12:15 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
he meant comparatively.... a V-Twin will make a I4 seem lacking in the low end... and the I4 will make the V-Twin seem lacking in top end.... with similar motor sizes of course


And before we start throwing out Ducati and whatnot, I was speaking very generally...
OneSickPsycho is offline  
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 12:18 AM
TWF Champion
 
SVRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 3,631
Send a message via Yahoo to SVRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
I don't think they make a Buel that's a similar size to yours... (how big is the blast? 500? 600?)
Blast is a 500 if I remember what Brie was saying, and that's a single, not a twin. So yeah... I'm outgunned by the buels.
Doesn't mean I can't try!! zoooooommm
by next season I should have a 1k, then i'll keep up

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
they make the one i posted in a strap on version
SVRider is offline  
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 12:20 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRider View Post
Blast is a 500 if I remember what Brie was saying, and that's a single, not a twin. So yeah... I'm outgunned by the buels.
Doesn't mean I can't try!! zoooooommm
by next season I should have a 1k, then i'll keep up
oh yeah? how much are you gonna want for your sv?
ebbs15 is offline  
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 12:25 AM
TWF Champion
 
SVRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 3,631
Send a message via Yahoo to SVRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
oh yeah? how much are you gonna want for your sv?
Girlfriend already has dibbs on it... sorry.
But since I'm going to be riding it another year... I'm putting some new toys on it...
Already got the fender eliminator, frame sliders, carbon look clutch and brake levers, and carbon look bar ends.
Some LED's on order.
Need to get a pipe yet. I know I'm getting carbon fiber, and i know i'm getting a Yoshi, just not sure if i should go with the RS-3, or the TRS??
About a $30-$40 difference between the two, what's the advantage of the TRS?
And best place to buy it? So far 58cycle seems to be the cheapest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
they make the one i posted in a strap on version
SVRider is offline  
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 12:38 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRider View Post
Girlfriend already has dibbs on it... sorry.
But since I'm going to be riding it another year... I'm putting some new toys on it...
Already got the fender eliminator, frame sliders, carbon look clutch and brake levers, and carbon look bar ends.
Some LED's on order.
Need to get a pipe yet. I know I'm getting carbon fiber, and i know i'm getting a Yoshi, just not sure if i should go with the RS-3, or the TRS??
About a $30-$40 difference between the two, what's the advantage of the TRS?
And best place to buy it? So far 58cycle seems to be the cheapest?
damn...
I don't know... might talk to Trip... 58cycle is where I got MY exhaust... did good by me
ebbs15 is offline  
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 12:43 AM
TWF Champion
 
SVRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 3,631
Send a message via Yahoo to SVRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
damn...
I don't know... might talk to Trip... 58cycle is where I got MY exhaust... did good by me
TRIP!!! HELLO TRIP!!!!! CAN YOU HEAR ME????
Oh well...
how long did it take to get your exhaust from them? (I know you are out of the lower 48 too, so extended shipping times)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
they make the one i posted in a strap on version
SVRider is offline  
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 12:49 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRider View Post
TRIP!!! HELLO TRIP!!!!! CAN YOU HEAR ME????
Oh well...
how long did it take to get your exhaust from them? (I know you are out of the lower 48 too, so extended shipping times)
ordered it on March 16th... got it on then 21st actually it arrived on the 20th but I wasn't home to accept it. and that was ground...
ebbs15 is offline  
post #16 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 12:52 AM
TWF Champion
 
SVRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 3,631
Send a message via Yahoo to SVRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
ordered it on March 16th... got it on then 21st actually it arrived on the 20th but I wasn't home to accept it. and that was ground...
damn, not bad...
Just sent a PM off to smokeuu, see if dakaccessories can get me a deal on something, and see if he knows the diff between the RS3 and TRS (other than the obvious, external shape).
So we'll see how that goes, otherwise, 58 cycle here I come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
they make the one i posted in a strap on version
SVRider is offline  
post #17 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 01:05 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRider View Post
damn, not bad...
Just sent a PM off to smokeuu, see if dakaccessories can get me a deal on something, and see if he knows the diff between the RS3 and TRS (other than the obvious, external shape).
So we'll see how that goes, otherwise, 58 cycle here I come!
**** I'd ask Yoshi themselves... they'll know better than anyone... though you might get a bit of a sales pitch
ebbs15 is offline  
post #18 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 05:35 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,016
Buells rule. Not for beginners, however....atleast not the XB's.



marko138 is offline  
post #19 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 06:49 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 17,886
It'd be tough to become a serious tracker with a Buell. The top end is just sooo lacking. You'd be getting burned by I4 600's. But not everybody is into track riding. And Marko is horny for the Buells...for some reason. But he has had experiences on 'em.
DLIT is offline  
post #20 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 06:50 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
It'd be tough to become a serious tracker with a Buell. The top end is just sooo lacking. You'd be getting burned by I4 600's. But not everybody is into track riding. And Marko is horny for the Buells...for some reason. But he has had experiences on 'em.
Ride one...you'll know why. And they dont look like every other bike on the road.



marko138 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome