2008 Buell 1125R - Page 2 - TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 164 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 12:19 PM
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Thank you sir!!

As long as the coggs can handle the power the belt is actually alot better.

I think its a great step. Making it look more like its Jap rivels and stepping up the power HUGE amounts. Plus the redline... can we say FUN FACTOR!!!

I can't wait to test ride one!!!
And yes, the write up is AWESOME!!! The bike looks alot like a CBR in the front end by the headlights...

And I don't mind the air scoops. Give it a cool new look. Besides I'm sure peeps will be painting them to body color and stuff... who knows!!




-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 164 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 12:21 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Thank you sir!!

As long as the coggs can handle the power the belt is actually alot better.

I think its a great step. Making it look more like its Jap rivels and stepping up the power HUGE amounts. Plus the redline... can we say FUN FACTOR!!!

I can't wait to test ride one!!!
I know you already know this...but you dont need a 10.5 redline on a twin. They dont make all the power at the top. It's a stupid misconception that uneducated riders have. But what choice does Erik have? He needs to sell bikes...and they aren't going to catch on without a more power. And how do you gain hp?...you increase redline.



marko138 is offline  
post #23 of 164 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 12:30 PM
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
Well this is true... but the ducs do it. It will all come out in the wash when peeps get that thing on a dyno!!!




-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 164 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 12:37 PM
TWF Board Of Directors
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
I know you already know this...but you dont need a 10.5 redline on a twin. They dont make all the power at the top. It's a stupid misconception that uneducated riders have. But what choice does Erik have? He needs to sell bikes...and they aren't going to catch on without a more power. And how do you gain hp?...you increase redline.
Twisty increased the red line on his race RC51 from 9.5 up to 12.5 I think. Must have been a reason..
Rider is offline  
post #25 of 164 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 12:44 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Twisty increased the red line on his race RC51 from 9.5 up to 12.5 I think. Must have been a reason..
Who cares.



marko138 is offline  
post #26 of 164 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 12:46 PM
TWF Board Of Directors
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Who cares.
Your the one who brought up the increase in redline comment and you said they did it for no reason, I was just saying there must be a reason.
Rider is offline  
post #27 of 164 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 01:02 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Your the one who brought up the increase in redline comment and you said they did it for no reason, I was just saying there must be a reason.
To sell bikes.



marko138 is offline  
post #28 of 164 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 64
redline schmedline sure its cool if its usable, but its not really needed other then to attract the people that think "my wang is huge cuz my bike revs to the moon!" like marko said. you wouldnt rev the firebolt to 12,000 rpm simply because its speed all comes down low where its more usable.
Bluebolt is offline  
post #29 of 164 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 05:34 PM
Contest Winner
'07 Rally Veteran
November 2007 BOTM Winner!
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cbus, OH, and about 100,000 posts behind the post whore
Posts: 7,649
Send a message via AIM to drewpy
so, lets limit all products to their sterotypes and everyone should start on a 250, sounds like a boring ass world



"It takes alot of anything to make my bike to something"
2001 RC51
drewpy is offline  
post #30 of 164 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 64
im not trying to offend or sterotype anyone, its just the truth. If buell made that same bike with a 7k redline i bet half the people who are 'non buell' enthusiests wouldnt have the intrest that they do now. Because a 'sportbike' or 'superbike' or whatever has to rev high to be fast, right?
Bluebolt is offline  
post #31 of 164 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Contest Winner
'07 Rally Veteran
November 2007 BOTM Winner!
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cbus, OH, and about 100,000 posts behind the post whore
Posts: 7,649
Send a message via AIM to drewpy
but higher redline, with the same torque and low end is a better engine- better engine, better bike, more buyers



"It takes alot of anything to make my bike to something"
2001 RC51
drewpy is offline  
post #32 of 164 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 07:08 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,030
For those who are enamored with belt drive, pray tell, how are you guys going to change your gearing ratio with the belt drive?

As far as Buell quality and reliability go, the fan switch for the rear cylinder head's failure is well documented. Not to mention for a bike that costs nearly ten grands, the quality of the components look like crap.

But I am willing to forgo the fit & finish if the performance is there.

As far as the higher redline goes...gee whiz, I don't know, it's because the bike is a watercooled Rotax V-twin therefore it can rev faster than the Harley piece-of-junk engine?

Harley engines are cute for cruisers and choppers but a performance motorcycle needs a performance engine.

There's nothing wrong with sourcing out for the specialists. When Harley wanted to make a fast cruiser, who did they go to? Porsche, of course. What's so surprising about Buell getting the Austrian Rotax engine? Them Germans and Austrians know something about mechanical excellence.
fnfalman is offline  
post #33 of 164 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 07:11 PM
Contest Winner
'07 Rally Veteran
November 2007 BOTM Winner!
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cbus, OH, and about 100,000 posts behind the post whore
Posts: 7,649
Send a message via AIM to drewpy



"It takes alot of anything to make my bike to something"
2001 RC51
drewpy is offline  
post #34 of 164 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 07:13 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebolt View Post
im not trying to offend or sterotype anyone, its just the truth. If buell made that same bike with a 7k redline i bet half the people who are 'non buell' enthusiests wouldnt have the intrest that they do now. Because a 'sportbike' or 'superbike' or whatever has to rev high to be fast, right?
Ahhh, revving high and fast is how an engine makes power

Let's not get into the debate about watercooled engine vs aircooled engine because that's like comparing apple to orange. But let's compare the 1200CC Thunderstorm engine to the BMW 1200CC boxer twin in the R1200S moto. Both are aircooled big twins. The R1200S puts out 122-HP and 82-lbft of torque. The Buell XB12R puts out 103-HP and 80-something lbft of torque. The torque outputs are similar because of the displacement of the engines is similar. But the BMW makes a lot more power because it revs to 8500-RPM.

Sure, power isn't everything if you're making a sporty bike. But when you want to make a true sports bike, power is just about everything...up to a point, at least.

Nobody I know of hates the Buells. But they do hate that Harley engine. Now, finally the Buell will get an engine that puts out some respectable oomph in order to truly compete against its peers. Hooray for that
fnfalman is offline  
post #35 of 164 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 07:17 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
I know you already know this...but you dont need a 10.5 redline on a twin. They dont make all the power at the top. It's a stupid misconception that uneducated riders have. But what choice does Erik have? He needs to sell bikes...and they aren't going to catch on without a more power. And how do you gain hp?...you increase redline.
V-twins don't make power on top? Have you looked at the Aprilia or the Ducati power curve lately?

Sure, a V-twin, due to the masses of the large pistons, can't be revved effectively up to 14,000-RPM, but a modern watercooled V-twin will rev to 10 or 11K easily and makes power all the way up to the redline.

And they have plenty of grunts down low too. It's called engineering and product improvement. You Harley engine people can sugarcoat it all you want but motors make power when they rev high.

I find it's rather funny that the Buell owners are knocking this badass Buell. Sounds the same way as the Harley owners knocking on the V-Rod because it's "too powerful". Gimme a break
fnfalman is offline  
post #36 of 164 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 08:54 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
V-twins don't make power on top? Have you looked at the Aprilia or the Ducati power curve lately?

Sure, a V-twin, due to the masses of the large pistons, can't be revved effectively up to 14,000-RPM, but a modern watercooled V-twin will rev to 10 or 11K easily and makes power all the way up to the redline.

And they have plenty of grunts down low too. It's called engineering and product improvement. You Harley engine people can sugarcoat it all you want but motors make power when they rev high.

I find it's rather funny that the Buell owners are knocking this badass Buell. Sounds the same way as the Harley owners knocking on the V-Rod because it's "too powerful". Gimme a break

I'm not a Harley anything. I like the Buells for what they are. Even with the sportster engine they put down the kind of power I'm looking for. I'd go as far as to say I strongly dislike or even hate HD's. But I've rode a couple of Buells. I'm not looking for the top end punch. I dont need to go much faster than 100. I want to corner and I want a bike that handles very well. The XB's fit that bill to a tee.

Yeah...I've seen Ducati and Aprilia torque curves. I know what a vtwin can do....but I also know what a Buell can do. They are marketed to different people. My point is not every bike on the market needs a sky high redline.


As far as fit and finish not being top quality...Erik Buell is doing the best he can with what he's got. Now he's moving forward.



marko138 is offline  
post #37 of 164 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 09:01 PM
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
For those who are enamored with belt drive, pray tell, how are you guys going to change your gearing ratio with the belt drive?
Same way you do your chain. Change the pulleys...




-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
post #38 of 164 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 11:33 PM
Sportbike Junkie
 
TIGGER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Greenville,NC
Posts: 658
Most of my family works or have worked in factories that are involved in the auto industry so the pressure to buy "American" is huge in my family. Those that own bikes mostly buy Harleys as I have in the past. That all changed for me when I got to ride a new '88 V-Max and it was OVER for Harley! I've lived with the disdain and ridicule and even won over some cousins and whatnot. I swore I'd not go back until Harley made a bike that; performed with the Japanese,maintained like the Japanese,cost about the same,and looked good. Well,3 out of 4 isn't bad. The thing is UGLY!!! The cooling shrouds/intakes are huge and why not a full fairing like the race bike? In fact, just sell a replica of the racebike. Why no integrated turn sigals in the rear? That tail section looks dated. Why no 6" rim with a 190mm tire in the rear? What's up with that massive exhaust cover/ assembly ? Besides,it's absolutely zero help with the relatives as very little of the bike is made in the U.S.A. I really want to buy American,I do. Just please give me something to work with!
BTW belt drive is extremely viable as a final drive solution. I love the lack of maintenance(lubed the chain today,blah!) and the lack of driveline lash! Just don't crow too loudly about weight savings until I hear how much that rear pulley weighs. Honda dabbled with belt drive in the '70s/80s,snowmobiles still use it and if you think about it, some of those "customs" that suckers are dropping 50-100 grand for put out serious hp/torque numbers and still use belts plus they are pushing bikes that weigh 600-800 pounds!!!
Oh and has everyone forgot the RC51? It redlined around 10k+ and won both AMA and SBK titles. Also,according to Buell's spec sheet the 1125r makes top power around 9500 rpm, so a 10500 redline makes sense. I am honestly glad that Buell/Harley is getting closer,I just hope they get there before I'm too old to ride!

TIGGER is offline  
post #39 of 164 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 09:23 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,314
just about every year of buells existence, the universal HD motor has been its major knock. I think every message board ive ever seen says the same thing over and over about the motor. so now they have a Rotax engineered motor (remember aprilia twins) and people are still knocking all things buell. Didnt they just satisfy everyones bemoaned prerequisite?
JK_DILLA is offline  
post #40 of 164 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 09:29 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Most of my family works or have worked in factories that are involved in the auto industry so the pressure to buy "American" is huge in my family. Those that own bikes mostly buy Harleys as I have in the past. That all changed for me when I got to ride a new '88 V-Max and it was OVER for Harley! I've lived with the disdain and ridicule and even won over some cousins and whatnot. I swore I'd not go back until Harley made a bike that; performed with the Japanese,maintained like the Japanese,cost about the same,and looked good. Well,3 out of 4 isn't bad. The thing is UGLY!!! The cooling shrouds/intakes are huge and why not a full fairing like the race bike? In fact, just sell a replica of the racebike. Why no integrated turn sigals in the rear? That tail section looks dated. Why no 6" rim with a 190mm tire in the rear? What's up with that massive exhaust cover/ assembly ? Besides,it's absolutely zero help with the relatives as very little of the bike is made in the U.S.A. I really want to buy American,I do. Just please give me something to work with!
BTW belt drive is extremely viable as a final drive solution. I love the lack of maintenance(lubed the chain today,blah!) and the lack of driveline lash! Just don't crow too loudly about weight savings until I hear how much that rear pulley weighs. Honda dabbled with belt drive in the '70s/80s,snowmobiles still use it and if you think about it, some of those "customs" that suckers are dropping 50-100 grand for put out serious hp/torque numbers and still use belts plus they are pushing bikes that weigh 600-800 pounds!!!
Oh and has everyone forgot the RC51? It redlined around 10k+ and won both AMA and SBK titles. Also,according to Buell's spec sheet the 1125r makes top power around 9500 rpm, so a 10500 redline makes sense. I am honestly glad that Buell/Harley is getting closer,I just hope they get there before I'm too old to ride!
The 5.5 rim and a 180 would turn quicker than the 6 and 190. Thus more means to Erik B's 'own the corners' mantra.



marko138 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome