Two Wheel Forums banner

soo rear stands are dumb??

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Gas Man 
#1 ·
ok. i need to support the rear of my bike, so i can take it off..

but a rear stand holds the bike by the swingarm...which is what im trying to take off..????

soOoOoo what do i do?

#2 ·
929_RUI said:
ok. i need to support the rear of my bike, so i can take it off..

but a rear stand holds the bike by the swingarm...which is what im trying to take off..????

soOoOoo what do i do?
A motorcycle jack is for your job in hand. A rear stand is for tire removing or upright storage. Or to be race cool in your garage.

#9 ·
Gas Man said:
Are you trying to remove the swing arm and the motor?

But you need a MC lift...

see thread

I have lifted the bike with the MC lift with a front fork stand, a jack and some jack stands!

yah i just using a good floor jack w/ a couple even 2x4 pieces and a front stand. seems to be workin just fine.

thx tho.

i was having a DUH day yesterday!:dthumb:

#11 ·
i used to use the strap method, when i still lived at my parents. there was a big steel I beam across the garage...i could hang a goldwing off of.

but in my place now theres only some 2x4's, which bend a good amount when i half hang on the straps. No WAY am i trusting that with my babies!

i went and looked at that craftsman bike stand today...dont know about all that. a little too big and bulky for me, plus i will never own a bike over 600 lbs...let alone the 1500 taht thing can lift.

I saw a smaller lift, same idea at my local bike shop for the same price, but seems a lot simpler and basic for my needs.

on the other hand theres full motorcycle lifts in the want ad for 500$ ....

so i dont know...floor jack for this time anyway.

:cheers:

#12 ·
There actually floor joist here. 2X8's I think. One set is doubled. I just set the front under the double boards when it needs to be secured. I have a stem stand for both the Duc and the Gixxer but it doesn't work well when the tree needs to come off. I then use the straps and atv floor jack.

#13 ·
929... what you have to remember is that those lifts at Sears aren't just for MC...they also are for ATV's and such.

I would suggest the alum one... it weights about 1/2 and gets in about 1/2-1" lower...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.