Two Wheel Forums banner

Shortened Clutch/Brake Levers?

4K views 45 replies 10 participants last post by  jtemple 
#1 ·
I was wondering, do they exist?

I generally use the clutch & brake levers with 2 fingers. The problem arises where the clutch lever bangs into my knuckles when I pull it.

I have the clutch cable adjusted so the clutch is disengaged before the level hits my knuckles. My worry is that I am not fully engaging/disengaging the clutch with the lever's newly limited motion and am causing premature clutch wear.

I was thinking that shorter, two-finger levers would be a good solution.

Is a two fingered lever a safety concern? I'd like to hear your thoughts. Also, I'd like to know where I can get some for my bike.

#4 ·
do a search on ebay for "crg levers". These are prety much the same a Pazzo, but the finish is way better. I got mine for 180 shipped, which isn't bad. Here's a pic... They do make shorty's by the way. i just like the longs ones better and I only use 2 fingers as well.

#15 ·
jtemple said:
Are the aftermarket levers an easy install? It looks like they'd just bolt on. I can't imagine I'd be losing any brake fluid or anything.
Piece of cake. One bolt for the break and one bolt on the clutch (if cable clutch) loosen the lock bolt on the clutch cable and loosen the clutch cable adjuster. There is a guide to rotate the lever and slide cable out. Self expletory once you see it.

If you decide to hack it off. It looks better to do both sides.:2cents:

#17 ·
just remove the lever and place them on a table vice. You can bend them to your liking. I have a bunch of custom bent levers from crashes...

It will really be hard to adjust for small hands. I'm fortunate to have long fingers and can adjust the stock levers accordingly. One finger braking, but I use 3 fingers for clutching. Damn, I miss having a hydrolic clutch.

-a|ex

#20 ·
jtemple said:
I fully agree. However, for 1/10 the cost, being on a budget...

I'd be more than happy to drop $200 on levers if you were buying. :cheers:
I won't drop that much down on some small levers.:lol:

#22 ·
Back _Marker said:
just remove the lever and place them on a table vice. You can bend them to your liking. I have a bunch of custom bent levers from crashes...

It will really be hard to adjust for small hands. I'm fortunate to have long fingers and can adjust the stock levers accordingly. One finger braking, but I use 3 fingers for clutching. Damn, I miss having a hydrolic clutch.

-a|ex
The stock levers are cast aluminum, though. I thought they'd just snap off.

It's not that my fingers are too short. It's just that I'd rather only use two fingers on the levers, and when I squeeze the clutch lever, it squashes my pinky and ring finger. Sure, I can avoid the finger squishing, but having my clutch cable adjusted to where the clutch will work with that short of a pull makes me wonder if I'm really fully engaging/disengaging the clutch, or just causing it to slip.

Two finger levers are just natural to me. It comes from mountain biking. Heck, most of the time on my mountain bike, I used one finger. My mountain bike levers are nice & short.

I'm concerned about comfort, and premature clutch wear.

#24 ·
I bought a spare set of stock levers, for $20.

I then took them to a machinist to have them cut down & reshaped.

My fears were proven, he says since they're cast aluminum, you can't shape them; they just snap off.

So, I had him cut them down and round them off, then polish them up. He did it for free.

They look decent. Later on, when I have the coin (and my other mods are finished - new can, hugger, etc.) I'll spring for a set of the nice shorty levers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.