Two Wheel Forums banner

Goin' two fiddy!

6K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  2weelz 
#1 ·
That's right! I'm getting a Hyosung GT250R as soon as it is availale. Our rep says it should be available in a month or so. I've been dying for a real sporting 250 in the US market, and it looks like this is it. I saw them in person at the Indy show, and they are very, very nice.

It won't hold a candle to the Mille R in a straight line, but I'm willing to bet I'll be able to carry more corner speed on it.

#3 ·
That thing is sweet?! What are the specs on it?

For a 250 that is one nice looking bike right there. Looks like you could track it too. I want one!

Price?

Sorry, it was a hot bike, thoughts just sorta spewed out of my head. Keep us posted!

#4 ·
Here are the specs:

For those who think spreadsheets actually matter, it's got 2 more hp than the ninja 250...

I get dealer pricing. One of the benefits of being a Hyosung dealer. :)

Displacement: 249.00 ccm (15.19 cubic inches)
Engine type: V2
Stroke: 4
Power: 28.16 HP (20.6 kW)) @ 10250 RPM
Torque: 21.00 Nm (2.1 kgf-m or 15.5 ft.lbs) @ 7500 RPM
Compression: 10.2:1
Bore x stroke: 57.0 x 48.8 mm (2.2 x 1.9 inches)
Valves per cylinder: 4
Fuel control: DOHC
Starter: Electric
Gearbox: 5-speed
Transmission type
final drive: Chain
Physical measures
Dry weight: 155.0 kg (341.7 pounds)
Seat height: 795 mm (31.3 inches) If adjustable, lowest setting.
Chassis and dimensions
Front tyre dimensions: 110/70-17
Rear tyre dimensions: 150/70-17
Front brakes: Single disc
Front brakes diameter: 300 mm (11.8 inches)
Rear brakes: Single disc
Rear brakes diameter: 230 mm (9.1 inches)
Speed and acceleration
Top speed: 140.0 km/h (87.0 mph)
Power/weight ratio: 0.1817 HP/kg
Other specifications
Fuel capacity: 17.00 litres (4.49 gallons)
Color options: Black, blue, yellow

#6 · (Edited)
I've ridden with a guy that had a Hyosung Comet 250, seemed like a nice bike (maybe I'm partial to the naked bikes). He easily kept up with us even on the highway. The GT250R from what I understand has been around for quite some time in Asia. I've read up on the 650 version, it seems like a great bike for the money it even gives the SV650 some good competition. There is a local dealer near here and I've sat on the 650 when I was looking for a bike for my fiancee (she ended up with Ninja 250). Time will tell but they seem like good bikes.:2cents:

:dthumb: on starting small, you will be a better rider later on when you trade
up to a larger bike .

+1 on the looks, that is a slick looking bike. I'm diggin' the over-under headlight. But that rear fender is screamin for a undertail kit (or at least some cutting with the dremel tool...)

Your specs show a single disk up front but the pictures show two.
:cheers:

#9 ·
Wockman said:
The article I read said they were made in the same factory as some Suzuki bikes.

Korean, yes. Kimchi not included.
Wasnt there a thread on here not too long ago about these? I think it said that they once manufactured the sv650. Once the copyright or something like that was up there they started producing them with the hyosung name and a little modifiied fairings. I will see if i can dig that thread up....

I could be wrong though...

:readng:

#11 ·
Wockman said:
I've ridden with a guy that had a Hyosung Comet 250, seemed like a nice bike (maybe I'm partial to the naked bikes). He easily kept up with us even on the highway. The GT250R from what I understand has been around for quite some time in Asia. I've read up on the 650 version, it seems like a great bike for the money it even gives the SV650 some good competition. There is a local dealer near here and I've sat on the 650 when I was looking for a bike for my fiancee (she ended up with Ninja 250). Time will tell but they seem like good bikes.:2cents:
I can get the nekkid version today, but we have a much larger market for the fully faired version. One of the reasons I'm getting one is to get the product circulated a bit.

:dthumb: on starting small, you will be a better rider later on when you trade
up to a larger bike .
I've been riding for 20 years. ;) I just feel that I can have a lot of fun on a 250. I will really be able to kill the corners on this bike. I'll be able to keep the throttle more open in the turns to create rearward bias (read: increased traction) without launching myself over a cliff like I would on my Aprilia.

Your specs show a single disk up front but the pictures show two.
:cheers:
The jury's still out on what it'll actually have. I've seen pics of it in both forms, and the one I saw at the indy show had two. MSRP is going to be right around $3800ish. The nekkid version retails for $3200 and change.

BTW- Our Micron rep called this am, and they now have exhaust available for the 650R.

#12 ·
Mojo said:
I can get the nekkid version today, but we have a much larger market for the fully faired version. One of the reasons I'm getting one is to get the product circulated a bit.

I've been riding for 20 years. ;) I just feel that I can have a lot of fun on a 250. I will really be able to kill the corners on this bike. I'll be able to keep the throttle more open in the turns to create rearward bias (read: increased traction) without launching myself over a cliff like I would on my Aprilia.

The jury's still out on what it'll actually have. I've seen pics of it in both forms, and the one I saw at the indy show had two. MSRP is going to be right around $3800ish. The nekkid version retails for $3200 and change.

BTW- Our Micron rep called this am, and they now have exhaust available for the 650R.

My bad, I assumed since you were looking at 250s you were just starting out, But I know what you mean I ride my fiancee's Ninja 250 around the neighborhood like I'm Rossi in the MotoGP. Fun bike.

I've seen the 650 with a two brothers exhaust on it, it sounded great. Its a good thing that the aftermarket has products for these.

#19 · (Edited)
Well shizzle my nizzle... This looks like an awesome bike for me to get as a first to learn on it, then get a bigger bike and let my wife learn on this one. I really like that it's full fairing and way sportier looking than Ninja 250/500, however top speed 87mph kinda sucks, I'm light and prob can get then 250 near 100mph. Yes, I would need to use the highway sometimes.

I think I'll look around for a dealer near Daytona / Voulsia Cnty FL. Uhm, these did come out in the states already or not yet? Sorry if I missed it somewhere in the threads.

Ok, so I searched and searched and found this, looks legit?
http://www.rt1automile.com/hyosung/GT250R.html

I also saw a comparison pic of the 250R (apparantly) next to some other larger bikes and the 250R doesn't even look like a 250 size wise. Here's a vid of 250R in action, quite a long video and I only saw the first one too...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3583911646149957344&q=hyosung&pl=true

#26 ·
Anyone know where to order an aftermarket exhaust for a 2005 gt650R? specifically a two bros carbon can. thanks
I'd probably stay away from 2 bros if I were you... They aren't exactly the highest quality...

I'd look at Micron or Leo Vince for the GT650R. Both are much higher quality. Remus has one also, they are working on a deal to distribute it directly through Hyosung.

#31 · (Edited)
The Hyo 250 is a solid bike. Not to take anything away from the venerable Ninja, but it has quite a few advantages over the ninja 250. Top speed, however, is not one of them, as it's a heavier bike. Power output is about the same, but the Hyosung is *way* more high tech.

The Hyosung has the following things that the Ninja 250 does not:
Perimeter frame
Inverted forks
Adjustable rearsets
Dual front disk brakes
Radial tires (That's right, both the EX250 and the EX500 use bias ply tires)
Fuel guage
2 year warranty
Oh, and modern styling. :)

Oh, and it's oil cooled. Not water cooled. I sold one of the nekkid ones to the MSF. It'll be their second one. They felt that the first one they had had several advantages over the big four. They want to make sure that it wasn't just a fluke before they buy a whole lot more of them.

The Kawi was expensive to fix and maintain
The Suzi fell apart (alarming, it may have been made by hyo)
The Honda is expensive to purchase initially
The Yamaha couldn't handle the rigors of the class. It overheated regularly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.