Another riding milestone...... - TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,233
Another riding milestone......

Well, it's still windy here in Florida, but after my first solo ride Saturday, and doing so well with the wind on Sunday, I decided to brave the commute to work.....



I did it! I did it!!



The ride was a bit wild and wooly.... the wind as you get onto and off of the bridge was INASANE (see pic below... it's 2.5 miles from end to end)

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...32169361UeXoJL

But I can tell my shifting is getting MUCH smoother, and I had an absolute BLAST... it was great! It's one thing feeling like I'm doing well with Chris 20 feet behind me, but it's completely another thing to feel I'm doing well when he's on the other side of town!!

Everyone at work is being so cute about it... all the girls in my department are coming up to me "Is that your bike in the parking lot?" (since we have assigned spaces) and coming over to look at my gear They're all amazed by it..... which I'll admit, is kinda cool.
neebelung is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 09:31 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,016
Good work Nee!...but not while riding.





marko138 is offline  
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,233
Thanks Marko...oh, not to worry.... I'd never even THINK of while riding.

neebelung is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 09:43 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,016
Of course not.



marko138 is offline  
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 09:45 AM
Moderator
Lifetime Gold Supporting Member
'07 Rally Veteran
 
jeeps84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Western N.C. (The Great Smoky Mountains)
Posts: 20,168
Send a message via MSN to jeeps84
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138
Good work Nee!...but not while riding.

Not many tunnels around Fl. but you have to watch exiting them as well.

Submit your ride for the TWF Bike of the Month here


Currently ride 1987 GSXR 50, 1996 Ducati M900, 2005 GSXR 1000
jeeps84 is offline  
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 10:58 AM
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeps84
Not many tunnels around Fl. but you have to watch exiting them as well.
Yeah the wind is just like wind coming off a semi on the highway... it takes some getting use to... but way to go girl!




-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 11:10 AM
Rae
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,213
Thats AWESOME!!!! I am so happy for you! That bridge looks like a real B****! We get bad wind over here in the panhandle but thank god we dont have bridges like that!!!
Rae is offline  
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,233
Uh huh... so lemme tell ya'll about my day yesterday....

So yesterday was my maiden voyage commuting to work. Well, I left out the most embarassing part -- just when I got to work, I was trying to turn around in my parking spot (so I was backed in) and I hit a curb (it's weird... part of our parking lot is like a raised plateau with a sloped curb) and dropped the bike. Yeah, my first day riding to work, and I drop it. I wanted to die... Our gate security gaurd came RUNNING over, and says, "Can you lift this thing?" I said, "Yeah, I can... but I'm dying of embarassement right now, so I could use some help." LMAO!!

Anyway, then we had lunch brought in yesterday, so I didn't ride during lunch. So I go to leave for work, and when I start her up, I've got a red idiot light on. Hmmm.... *confused* I call Chris (he's still at work) and ask him, and he says he thinks it's the oil pressure light. He thinks maybe something (a sensor or a line) got disconnected when I dropped it. But I don't mess around with idiot lights.... so I wait like an hour and a half for him to come up and check it out for me (I'm not going to chance blowing the engine or anything on the ride home!)

She was a little low on oil (we think she's burning it a little, since there was NOTHING on the ground, and we check it religiously ), but the light still wouldn't go out (we later found out it shuts off once the bike got up to a certain RPM). So we called our bike Doctor, and he had us check a few things, but felt it was fine to ride home, and told us just to keep an eye on it for a couple of day.

We finally mount up and get on the road... it's even WINDIER than it was on my way in, and I'm just exhausted.... we get to about 1/2 mile from that big bridge (and past the last exit before the bridge), come around the bend, and *eek* BRAKE LIGHTS! They were doing construction on the bridge, and had it shut down to one lane. Oh yeah, and at this point, it starts to DRIZZLE (not enough to get us WET, really, just enough to mess up my visor)! So, at about 3 mph, we creep up the span of the bridge... Oh my GOD was my right hand cramping up!! Once we hit the peak of the bridge, all lanes opened back up, and all I wanted to do was GO HOME.... Oh yeah, but we were out of cat food, so we needed to stop at Petsmart on the way home! It was like a sick joke.... it was the day that wouldn't end!!!!!

Once we settled down last night, I told Chris, "I don't wanna ride tomorrow.... I'm sore!" (I had bruised up my knee and caught a peg to the shin when I tried to keep my bike from going down yesterday morning). He laughed, and said he understood, but he really felt it would be a good idea for me to ride today.... that once I got a good ride in (i.e. problem free) I'd feel better about it all, and it would help erase the memory of the events of yesterday.

So I sucked it up and rode today. And all went fine... still windy (not as bad as yesterday) but BEAUTIFUL..... the clouds were all pink and orange as I came over the bridge, and I didn't have a single problem.

*woot!*

I figure after all the crap I dealt with on my maiden commute yesterday, I'm ready for anything now!
neebelung is offline  
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 09:24 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,016
Congratulations. You took it down. Keep logging miles...and hopefully that'll be the last time she sees the pavement.

Don't worry about it...it happens to all of us.



marko138 is offline  
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 12:47 AM
Moderator
Lifetime Gold Supporting Member
'07 Rally Veteran
 
jeeps84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Western N.C. (The Great Smoky Mountains)
Posts: 20,168
Send a message via MSN to jeeps84
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138
Congratulations. You took it down. Keep logging miles...and hopefully that'll be the last time she sees the pavement.

Don't worry about it...it happens to all of us.
Just keep logging those miles. It only get easier.

Submit your ride for the TWF Bike of the Month here


Currently ride 1987 GSXR 50, 1996 Ducati M900, 2005 GSXR 1000
jeeps84 is offline  
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 09:32 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeps84
Just keep logging those miles. It only get easier.
GSXRGirl is offline  
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeps84
Just keep logging those miles. It only get easier.
Welp, that's what I've been doing.... and each day (I ride to work), it seems to get a little easier, and a lot more fun. I noticed yesterday, it's a lot less THINKING, and lot more enjoyable... things are starting to click, my shifting is getting better, I'm less "frozen" with the death grip, and able to move around more freely, etc.... Wind is still a pain in the ass (as it always is this time of year in Florida), but it's bothering me less.... just tuck down and lean into it.

And the response I get from other people is really fun. I had a cop pass me (I was doing 80, and he FLEW up on me on the bridge), pause next to me, give me the thumbs up, and then zip past....

And today, as I got to work, a woman who works 3rd shift out in the warehouse was walking to her truck. She's about my Mom's age, and stopped to say, "Go girl!" She said she used to ride... got her first Harley when she was 20, and her daughter and son-in-law both ride... as I walked into the office, she said again, "Go girl! It's so good to see a woman doing that!"
neebelung is offline  
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 09:52 AM
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,513
I have ridden that bridge you are talking about and it is very windy on it. I was in my truck at the time and i felt the wind move me so I could see how you would feel it on a bike. But keep logging those miles and enjoy the ride.
99birdv6 is offline  
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 09:57 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by neebelung
Welp, that's what I've been doing.... and each day (I ride to work), it seems to get a little easier, and a lot more fun. I noticed yesterday, it's a lot less THINKING, and lot more enjoyable... things are starting to click, my shifting is getting better, I'm less "frozen" with the death grip, and able to move around more freely, etc.... Wind is still a pain in the ass (as it always is this time of year in Florida), but it's bothering me less.... just tuck down and lean into it.

And the response I get from other people is really fun. I had a cop pass me (I was doing 80, and he FLEW up on me on the bridge), pause next to me, give me the thumbs up, and then zip past....

And today, as I got to work, a woman who works 3rd shift out in the warehouse was walking to her truck. She's about my Mom's age, and stopped to say, "Go girl!" She said she used to ride... got her first Harley when she was 20, and her daughter and son-in-law both ride... as I walked into the office, she said again, "Go girl! It's so good to see a woman doing that!"
NICE!!!!



marko138 is offline  
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 12:48 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 673
WOW I think Id be looking for a house on the OTHER side of that bridge that thing looks NUTS!!!!
frostz28 is offline  
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,233
It's not so bad now that I've gotten used to it.

BUT, apparently the engineers who built it were on crack, cus the sections are starting to separate... so now there's these HUGE (like as wide as the lane, 6' long, 3" thick) metal plates covering the joints between sections while they work to repair it. OMG! Crossing those things is HAIRY! As stiff as my suspension is (and mine's relatively soft compared to some!) my ass is like 12" off the seat when I cross it! But with the wind up there (those plates are near the peak of the bridge), there's no way I can stand up in the seat to prepare for it... it's a lose-lose situation!
neebelung is offline  
post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,233
Sooo... I had yet another milestone last night. I rode with my MSF instructor!

We were all elaving bike night, and she and another friend said they'd follow us out and ride with us. I'm like, "EEK!" talk about nerve-wracking!! I wanted her to lead, but she said she wanted to follow me, so she could "see her product." So we rode out.... everything was fine, I was feelin' good. Had to stop for gas, and she commented on how comfortable I look on the bike, and how well I'm doing.... (YAY!)

So we head up to the highway -- loooonnnng sweeping uphill onramp... took it faster and hotter than I ever have and had a BLAST! Got up on the highway, and got some good speed... everything was just perfect... my shifts, my turns, everything. I was so excited!!! They split off, so I haven't gotten feedback from her yet on my "performance," but when we got home, Chris was like, "Wow, you did great.... How come you ride even better with HER following you than you do with me?"
neebelung is offline  
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 09:39 AM
Rae
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by neebelung
Sooo... I had yet another milestone last night. I rode with my MSF instructor!

We were all elaving bike night, and she and another friend said they'd follow us out and ride with us. I'm like, "EEK!" talk about nerve-wracking!! I wanted her to lead, but she said she wanted to follow me, so she could "see her product." So we rode out.... everything was fine, I was feelin' good. Had to stop for gas, and she commented on how comfortable I look on the bike, and how well I'm doing.... (YAY!)

So we head up to the highway -- loooonnnng sweeping uphill onramp... took it faster and hotter than I ever have and had a BLAST! Got up on the highway, and got some good speed... everything was just perfect... my shifts, my turns, everything. I was so excited!!! They split off, so I haven't gotten feedback from her yet on my "performance," but when we got home, Chris was like, "Wow, you did great.... How come you ride even better with HER following you than you do with me?"
the Pressure!! Thats awesome girl!
Rae is offline  
post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 09:40 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 396
that's so cool nee!! congrats!!

I can't imagine what it would feel like to have your teacher following you. You know in the back of your mind that they are critiquing every thing that your doing.

Don't you just love the way you feel when you take a turn just right?! It's like being flung out of a sling shot. It feels so smooth! Keep it up!!
jappysRR is offline  
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by jappysRR
Don't you just love the way you feel when you take a turn just right?! It's like being flung out of a sling shot. It feels so smooth! Keep it up!!
I doo! I doo!! Sharp turns are something I've still been timid about, so each time I take a familiar turn, I try to take it a LITTLE faster, and a LITTLE hotter, just to gradually work up my confidence... But last night, for some reason I was just feelin good, and I just went for it on that turn... and NAILED it. (I'm sure it could be taken a LOT faster, but for ME, this was a huge step! )
neebelung is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome