Race report 4-5 Nov Wakefield Park - TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 614
Race report 4-5 Nov Wakefield Park

Sorry this has been delayed, but the celebrations have only just wound down, ...... Nah, I've really just been lazy!

Team Witness Protection Racing Victorious at PCRA One Hour Carnival!

What a weekend! A full days practice on Friday was marred by rain, bitterly cold wind, and the resultant hangover from drinking with a group of road workers in Goulburn the night before. The track was extremely slippery, and both the Moriwaki 80 and the Cagiva 125 were sliding the front through turn one. Turn one at Wakefield exits into a fairly steep climb to the top of the circuit, which is a big ask for a small bike with a fatarse like myself on board, so it's more important to carry maximum corner speed through there than anywhere else on the circuit. Both bikes went well, a few small mechanical glitches were sorted, and all was looking OK for the weekend.
That evening, my friend (Army mates for nearly 20 years, and fellow bike nut), Max arrived from Canberra. Max lives in Melbourne, and made the 9 hour drive to Goulburn last year, but fortunately, his job saw fit to put him on a course in Canberra, about an hour away from Goulburn, and gave him the weekend off! Max gets to race once a year, and thats when he comes up and pilots my spare bike at the One Hour carnival.

Saturday was overcast, but dry. The track temp was still very low, and there were a lot of delays during morning practice and the first round of races. The race format was changed around a bit for this meeting, and I found myself on the grid with most of the front runners of the Motolite class, except I was on a Cagiva Mito! The top Motolites are either 85cc CR80 motors in Honda RS125 GP frames, Jianshe 175s (Chinese Honda Copies) in RS125 GP frames or in highly modified frames that may look like ****e, but are as exotic as most GP frames. I had a ball, I was dicing with all my mates, and I loved every minute of it. The Cagiva was only just competitive with the top Motolites, so I've got some work to do, and some money to spend.
Max was riding my Moriwaki 80, and the shift action is obviously a bit lighter than what he's used to on his SV1000, coz he bent the lever, so we replaced it, and he bent it again. However, the rest of the left footpeg assembly must have been jealous of the attention the shift lever was getting, because for the rest of the weekend, nothing would stay done up! The footpeg worked loose EVERY RACE. The shift linkage came off, first at the front, then at the back, then the two ball joints disassembled themselves simultaneously.
(I can hear certain people shaking thier heads right now, but after the first issue, we drowned everything in Loctite, and went around and checked every nut and bolt. EVERY RACE!)

Saturday night, I had organised a Spit Roast to be served at the Pelican Sheep station, which is right next to the track, and where most of us were staying. There were about 60 people eating, the alcohol was flowing in moderation, the bull**** was flowing with less regulation, and everyone had a good time. As it was cold, there was a huge log fire going, but it was that smoky, you couldn't get near it. After 2 full-on days at the track,with one to come, most people decided on the "Early-to-bed" option.

Sunday was huge. The weather was similar to Saturday, possibly a bit warmer. I had a great battle with Sam, a mate on an RS125. His bike weighs about 30 Kilos less than mine, and He weighs about 20 Kilos less than me, and his bike puts out about 15HP more than mine, so naturally I was stoked. Sam rode in the Aust 125GP support race at the MotoGP and did pretty well (middle of the pack, which is nothing to sneeze at), and I saw this as an indication that I wasn't doing too badly. I found out later that he'd injured his ankle in a crash late on Saturday, so there goes that idea! There were 4 bikes in New Era 2 125's (the first time they'd seperated 125's from the 250's, etc), and the other 3 were all RS125 Honda's. One was a new racer, and so was taking his time getting up to race pace (Hey, we've all been there!), and the other was Rob Holmes, 60 years old, father to a good mate Ryan (also racing), and sharing a pit garage with me (amongst others). If you've never had a close up look at a Honda RS125 GP machine, You're missing out! They are a thing of beauty, a purpose built weapon, for the use of diminutive psychopaths only! (I want one!!!!)

The first One Hour event was the Motolites/Superlites event. The One Hour is a team event, Le-Mans start, with a 20 minute window when pit lane is open and rider change can take place. Neither rider can ride for more than 40 mins or less than 20, and the same rider cannot start and finish! I rode the first 30 mins, and basically charged hard from the start. It was only about 20 minutes in (when I noticed the "pit lane open" sign) that I started to take notice of the leader board. We were coming 5th, and I was going as hard as I could, and managed to hold off some determined challenges from a number of other bikes. When my time to come in was signalled, I completed the lap, and the changeover went smoothly. Max went out, and was riding well, when my girlfriend Sharon pointed out the leader board. WE WERE THIRD! A friend, Michael, had it in his head that the board was wrong, that we were fourth, and that we had to catch Rob (Ryan's Dad), who was 3/4 of a lap ahead, but who Max was catching at about 10 seconds a lap. The way the race works, at the 1 hour mark, the last lap board is displayed, and it is left out until the leader comes around, gets the last lap board, and then completes one more lap. Just before the leader completes his last lap, the board gets pulled in, and the chequered flag goes out. Max was closing on Rob fast, and was a certainty to get him on the next lap, when, just before Max got to the line, the chequered flag went out, Max powered off, Rob didn't and the leader (Russell) crossed the line a millisecond after Max. From where I was standing, It was difficult to see what was happening, so I thought Max may have misread the signal, and should have done another lap. A short panic session later, results were confirmed and we got 3rd. A look at the results showed how many teams failed to finish, and no doubt this is why we did so well, but that's what endurance racing is all about.
(Yes, I know, 1 hour is hardly Suzuka, but it's what we've got...........OK!).

The second One Hour was the Post Classic/ New Era race. Max and I teamed up again, this time on the Cagiva Mito. I didn't expect us to do any good in this race, as we were up against some very fast rider/bike combinations. I rode first again, and got a good start, but then I missed a gear change, and something locked up in the gearbox. I slowed, and pulled over to the side, when I managed to free whatever it was, and we got going again, in 33rd place. I got us back to 18th before the changeover, so I was relatively happy. Max got on, and rode well, considering (due to the ongoing mechanical repairs on the mori over the day before) he hadn't had a practice on this bike at all. three laps later, he pulled into the pits WITH THE GEARSHIFT LINKAGE HANGING LOOSE!. This is the bike that I'd ridden a full days practice, a four races Saturday, Two races and 30 mins of the current race, without a problem, and now this. I was beginning to think Max had offended some gearshift deity somehow! I quickly replaced the nut, after soaking it in Loctite, and Max rejoined the race in 33rd again. Max rode well, and got us back to 26th, and even scored our fastest lap of the race, assisted by a rapidly thinning out pack.

By this time we were both knackered. We did one more race, after which, the rain started lightly, and Max returned to the pit garage once more with the gear linkage hanging off. We looked at each other, and decided that it was a sign, so we called it quits!

At the Presentations, We were presented the third place trophy for the Motolite One Hour. I thought I might have been in with a chance at a podium for the New Era 125's, but when they announced me first, I was stunned. Again, a look at the results showed that both Rob and Sam were faster than I was (Sam by 8 seconds a lap), but through Sams injury, and Rob making a few small errors here and there, I was more consistent (just call me Nicky!)

1st Place New Era 125 Peter Wade, '94 Cagiva Mito #41
3rd Place Motolite One Hour Endurance P Wade/M Paterson '92 Moriwaki 80 #50

Team Witness Protection Racing
You don't know us.....We were never here!

A subsidiery of Fat Bastards Incorporated (FBI)
Chuckademus is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 614
Chuckademus is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 07:44 PM
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,314
Sweet Chuck! How long have you been racing that Cagiva... or racing at all together? And thats a hell of a write up.
JK_DILLA is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 614
Thanks JK.
I've been racing for three years now, Mainly in Motolites. I bought a Kwaka KH100, (sleeved down 125) for $750AS. I did half a season on it before a mate lent me a Moriwaki 80. Two weeks and $3000 later, I had one.

I've had the Cagiva for a year and a half. When the club announced the rules for New Era racing('89-'95), they had 125 production as a seperate class, but up to now they've only seperated 250's and above. There's a couple of really good riders on TZ250's, so I've had no chance. Usually, the two classes run back to back, and if you don't have someone working your pits to prep the second bike, it just doesn't work. So I usually don't run the Cagiva.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07527.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	6419   Click image for larger version

Name:	red mito2.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	868.6 KB
ID:	6420  
Chuckademus is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 10:44 PM
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 228
Nice job Chuck. Keep it up

I might have to pick up a little 2-stroke now, that sounds like a blast.

*heads to ebay*
zortness is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 06:26 PM
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,314
That Cagiva looks real nice. In your opinion chuck, is running-maintaining a 2 stroke more or less expensive than a 4 stroke?

Originally Posted by zortness View Post
I might have to pick up a little 2-stroke now, that sounds like a blast.
me too.
JK_DILLA is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 614
2 strokes are much easier to work on, so anything top end (pistons, rings, etc) is a breeze to do yourself. Having said that, it's much easier to blow up a 2 stroke if you don't jet it right. There's a guy in my club who's got his own dyno, and charges club members $100 for the day. Other places in Sydney will charge $60 - $80 a run. I've done 13 runs in a day at Popa Bears Dyno, you can compare jetting for different pipes, etc.

Jetting, porting, expansion chambers,and generally getting the best performance out of a 2 stroke are a bit of a black art. Best to get help from someone who knows their stuff.

Parts for the Cagiva are hughly expensive over here. $295 for a standard piston/ring kit, not including a little end bearing. I can get a Wiseco from the UK over Ebay for half that, providing I can afford to wait up to 4 weeks.
I get a lot of go-fast bits for the cr80 from the States, 'coz they run them in Karts (check out www.fastech-racing.com).

short answer... whats cheaper? Doing it yourself is! (and more fun) and it's easier to work on 2 strokes yourself! If you're reliant on someone elses mechanical skills, 4 strokes are more reliable, which equals cheaper.

The good news is, if the race clubs in the States are anything like over here, There will always be someone able to help out.

Chuckademus is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 12:10 PM
Lifetime Gold Supporting Member
'07 Rally Veteran
jeeps84's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Western N.C. (The Great Smoky Mountains)
Posts: 20,168
Send a message via MSN to jeeps84
Black art or not. The smokers are so much fun to ride.

Submit your ride for the TWF Bike of the Month here

Currently ride 1987 GSXR 50, 1996 Ducati M900, 2005 GSXR 1000
jeeps84 is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 614

Better Late than never! 520 photo's, of two days of great post-classic racing.

Look for a red Cagiva #41, or a blue #50

Chuckademus is offline  
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome