Two Wheel Forums banner

Dragon Death...

2K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Rae 
#1 ·
I know we been talking a lot about setting up a get together of our own, but a lot can go wrong on this road. So this is a good reminder to ride within your limits even if it means not keeping up with your friends. I think the group I was with did a very good job of that. We got seperated many times and would meet at a pull off point later in the run.

http://www.thedailytimes.com/sited/story/html/259976

#2 ·
I hate when that type of thing happens. Its one thing when someone is doing really stupid stuff and you can say well that person was being stupid or careless. But in this case it didn't seem that the rider was doing anything extremely dangerous. I think all of us enjoy a nice blast through the twisties. And accidents can happen to any of us at any time. I think for the most part we all realize it and accept the risks when we ride. Its too bad when it happens in a place like that because the law enforcement says "hey we have to put a stop to this" but us riders really want a place that we can enjoy a decent road for our hobbies. I can completely understand both sides of the argument. All I can say is BE SAFE EVERYONE!!!!!

#3 ·
frostz28 said:
I hate when that type of thing happens. Its one thing when someone is doing really stupid stuff and you can say well that person was being stupid or careless. But in this case it didn't seem that the rider was doing anything extremely dangerous. I think all of us enjoy a nice blast through the twisties. And accidents can happen to any of us at any time. I think for the most part we all realize it and accept the risks when we ride. Its too bad when it happens in a place like that because the law enforcement says "hey we have to put a stop to this" but us riders really want a place that we can enjoy a decent road for our hobbies. I can completely understand both sides of the argument. All I can say is BE SAFE EVERYONE!!!!!
The story I heard was he hadn't ridden in awhile and was trying to shake the "cobwebs" loose on that run. He was following someone that was going a lot faster than he was and I heard he was trying to keep up and that is when it happened. This is just the rumor mill, so take this with a grain of salt. The person he was riding with was in front of him and he doesn't even know why this guy lost it.

#4 ·
VolEngineer said:
The story I heard was he hadn't ridden in awhile and was trying to shake the "cobwebs" loose on that run. He was following someone that was going a lot faster than he was and I heard he was trying to keep up and that is when it happened. This is just the rumor mill, so take this with a grain of salt. The person he was riding with was in front of him and he doesn't even know why this guy lost it.
Thats too bad, the guy in front probably feels terrible. I went on a ride with a buddy of mine the other day and We were rollin down some twisties, hes still somewhat new to street bikes, and I started thinking about wether he was trying to keep up or if he was riding at his own pace. I think its an internal thing in all of us to try to keep up. I thought about how bad I would feel if the went down trying to keep up so I backed off a little and let him catch up. No matter how many people tell the guy that its not his fault that the other guy was trying to keep up but Im sure he will never shake it. I know I wouldn't.

#6 ·
VolEngineer said:
While we are talking about safety, it's been awhile since we had a serious is a 1000cc bike too big for me thread.
LOL Im sure it won't be much longer before we get another one. I don't need to start one because I know that even after nearly 9 years of riding, three sport bikes and an old cruiser, A liter bike IS too big for me.

#10 ·
#11 ·
frostz28 said:
Thats too bad, the guy in front probably feels terrible. I went on a ride with a buddy of mine the other day and We were rollin down some twisties, hes still somewhat new to street bikes, and I started thinking about wether he was trying to keep up or if he was riding at his own pace. I think its an internal thing in all of us to try to keep up. I thought about how bad I would feel if the went down trying to keep up so I backed off a little and let him catch up. No matter how many people tell the guy that its not his fault that the other guy was trying to keep up but Im sure he will never shake it. I know I wouldn't.
:withstupi but at the same time, all the classes teach that those with the most experience, etc ride in front...so if that was the case, the guy did everything right but i agree that he will always feel guilty, but thats why, at least in my opinion, i always keep in mind that when i am riding that I am only in control of what I do, not anyone else, and that if someone pushes themselves too far or too fast that is their decision and really isnt my fault, its theirs if something happens.

#15 ·
One thing that I don't see anyone mentioning is that maybe the inexperienced rider should have been in front. If he's in front, then he doesn't need to "keep up" with anyone. I realize that we all like to ride at our own pace, but if we're going to do that, then it should be mentioned to all riders at the very beginning of the ride. Either that, or put the new guy in the front so you can keep an eye on him and give him pointers. Just don't push him to ride faster.

#17 ·
Back _Marker said:
if anyone is familiar with the term triple black diamond, would you take a newbie skier with you? i wouldn't take a newbie to the twisties unless i was planning on buying his bike off the insurance co.

-a|ex
He showed up to the rally by himself. The guy he was riding with had just actually met him. So should you take responsibility for people you don't even know? This wasn't a ride with friends, this guy just showed up and decided to tag along with a guy he barely knew and got into more trouble than he could handle.

As for inexperienced riders taking the lead. That is just an excuse. Adults should know what they are capable of doing and shouldn't have to be nortured every step of the way. If you are that inexperienced, you shouldn't be on the dragon in the first place.

#18 ·
VolEngineer said:
He showed up to the rally by himself. The guy he was riding with had just actually met him. So should you take responsibility for people you don't even know? This wasn't a ride with friends, this guy just showed up and decided to tag along with a guy he barely knew and got into more trouble than he could handle.

As for inexperienced riders taking the lead. That is just an excuse. Adults should know what they are capable of doing and shouldn't have to be nortured every step of the way. If you are that inexperienced, you shouldn't be on the dragon in the first place.
I agree with that. This guy apparently wasn't a "newbie". He was shaking out the bugs. Getting back into it. We dont know this guy. His ego might be the size of Texas. Maybe it wasn't. Yeah we tell people that newbs should be in front. Well how many of us would get irritated that the guy you are following isn't riding at 'your' pace? So you take the lead and boogie.

People die at the Dragon every year. People are going to die at the Dragon every year. We lost another fellow rider. As bad as that sucks, it's reality. The only thing you can do is take care of yourself. Gear up and ride within YOUR ability. You stray from that and it's outta your hands.

#19 ·
okay, i just have to point out again, the MSF that I just took in January says the more exp. rider needs to be in front, the less exp. in the back, unless I am dyslexic and heard it wrong...i go lots slower than some of the guys I ride with, i stay in the back and I go as fast as I can go, not them...it stands to reason that if an individual uses the brain and not the ego, they will go at the pace they can handle, if it is not as fast as others they are with, the faster riders need to go on...not babysit or drag along getting impatient...then again, no offense guys, maybe it is a woman's common sense thing??:scratch:

#20 ·
RaeRR said:
okay, i just have to point out again, the MSF that I just took in January says the more exp. rider needs to be in front, the less exp. in the back, unless I am dyslexic and heard it wrong...i go lots slower than some of the guys I ride with, i stay in the back and I go as fast as I can go, not them...it stands to reason that if an individual uses the brain and not the ego, they will go at the pace they can handle, if it is not as fast as others they are with, the faster riders need to go on...not babysit or drag along getting impatient...then again, no offense guys, maybe it is a woman's common sense thing??:scratch:

This doesn't really matter on the dragon. The amount of traffic that comes through this place, someone not in your group that is faster is bound to pass you if you are slow. If you can't handle being passed and then proceed to ride above you skill to keep up with the faster rider, you don't belong on the dragon ever.

#21 ·
VolEngineer said:
This doesn't really matter on the dragon. The amount of traffic that comes through this place, someone not in your group that is faster is bound to pass you if you are slow. If you can't handle being passed and then proceed to ride above you skill to keep up with the faster rider, you don't belong on the dragon ever.
oh, i dont disagree, i just wondered why ppl kept saying the other rider should have been behind him, he shouldnt have, it would have made a dangerous sit. more dangerous, not to mention, if the guy had been behind him, and a faster rider, we all know he would have been a little too close and potentially could have died with him...heres a link i found, not quite what i was looking for but the other sites I checked out said much the same, slower/inexp. riders need to be at the end of the group but it also says someone should be watching them, but this is for everyday group, NOT the dragon, i would assume that is a whole different ballgame...

http://www.ehow.com/how_8359_ride-motorcycle-with.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.