Two Wheel Forums banner

Motorcyclist struck by lightning

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Scissors 
#1 ·
A motorcyclist was killed yesterday when he or his bike was struck by lightning. Witnesses saw a flash of light and debris falling on passing vehicles. The debris was asphalt, after the strike left a crater 16 inches long, 12 inches wide, and four inches deep. http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_4794033,00.html

After the strike, the motorcyclist continued for about 150 yards before hitting the median. It was not yet known if the lightning or impact killed the victim who was wearing a helmet. TV showed the bike as a Suzuki TL.
This is the second lightning death here in two weeks.

Two of my best friends were killed in the mountains by lightning in 1992. Both wore glasses and digital watches, which were shattered by the force of the bolt. Their backpacks had dozens of small holes like welding splash. Lightning is definately something to be taken seriously.

#9 ·
itgirl25 said:
what a bizarre way to die! i hate lightning. when thunderstorms hit you can find me curled up in the fetal position as far away from windows as possible. well, maybe not that extreme, but i definately do my best to avoid it.
so why aren't you doing that now! :lol: we've got some nasty thunder and lightning going on right now...

#10 ·
R1up0n1 said:
so why aren't you doing that now! :lol: we've got some nasty thunder and lightning going on right now...
:lol: it hasn't hit here yet. should probably get here in about 15-20 mins or so. according to the weather channel, it is already thunderstorming here, but they are wrong. so i know it is definately on the way though. yuck!

my family got caught in a pop-up t-storm when i was younger while we were out fishing. trees were literally falling around our car in the woods. we had to wait it out and then go get help to saw the trees in pieces so we could get the car out. after that i take storms seriously. it scared me to death.

#12 ·
frostz28 said:
Wow thats too bad. Im with everyone else I don't even know what to say. makes ya think twice about riding in the rain.
Rain is one thing...but thunderstorms is another. i don't like to ride in the rain anyway...but if it happends...then it happends....no big deal.

#13 · (Edited)
It was some crazy stuff. I apparently was on the highway just before the accident happened because I was stuck in traffic as I passed an ambulance. I didn't know what kind of accident it was nor did I care. I took it was just a regular accident because there is an accident on I-36 50% the time I'm on it. Two lanes just doesn't cut it on I 36.

#14 ·
jeeps84 said:
:yikes: I don't even know what to say about this. Its not exactly something we can gear up for or avoid. I guess when its your time to check out. Its just your time.
About the gearing (or lack thereof), it is best to not have metallic or conducive materials close by (or on you). Though most of the gear we wear have a minimum amount of these materials, it is one way to reduce (though who knows what to significance ) your chances. It is also wise to steer clear of being the highest object if at all possible. :2cents:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.