Two Wheel Forums banner

S.O.B! Lightning Strike!!!!

4K views 62 replies 11 participants last post by  bumblebee 
#1 ·
SOB!!!! I just took a lightning strike a few minutes ago. I heard a LOUD pop over at the desktop.

So far my cable modem is totally out, no lights on at all, and no data processing thru. It smells like it's fried.

Also my desktop took a hit. It boots up but no video is displaying up to the monitor. I was hoping it was just the monitor that got hit, but I just hooked up the laptop to it and the monitor works fine. So I'd say my video card got hit.

:damn: I'll have to call the cable company to get a new cable modem tomorrow, and I'll have to get a video card soon and hopefully that will fix everything.

Until then I can use someone elses connection whenever I can...but the wireless signals are so low.:cursin:

#5 ·
Well right now is the first time I've been able to get a good wireless connection today. I did call the cable company and they are bringing me a new cable modem tomorrow afternoon. So I may not be able to post for long today.

#7 ·
DLITALIEN said:
So your surge protector didn't do sh*t?
it half way did. The printer, speakers, monitor, wireless router, and 4 port usb hub are still ok.

I think the lightning strike came in thru the cable (RG59) cable shorted out the cable modem, then went thru the Cat5 cable and struck the computer.

How the wireless router got bypassed from the short...I have no clue....the cat5 cable goes into that from the cable modem....then into the computer.:crazy:

#9 ·
R1up0n1 said:
it half way did. The printer, speakers, monitor, wireless router, and 4 port usb hub are still ok.

I think the lightning strike came in thru the cable (RG59) cable shorted out the cable modem, then went thru the Cat5 cable and struck the computer.

How the wireless router got bypassed from the short...I have no clue....the cat5 cable goes into that from the cable modem....then into the computer.:crazy:
You lost me after "it half way did."

#12 ·
R1up0n1 said:

I'll never understand electricity:scratch:

The wireless router might just have some internals that took the hit and just shutdown and restarted then it bled down the line. Once you surge equipment like that who knows the way it's gonna behave.

#16 ·
fatburg said:
dang that sucks. I know they make surge protectors with the cable in/outs but can you use those for broadband or will it attenuate the signal too much? anyone know?
It shouldn't hurt the connecting...but I'm not totally sure.

DLITALIEN said:
You lost me after "it half way did."
It's really a simple network.... see attachment below.

#21 ·
DLITALIEN said:
I was just messing around. i knew what you were talkign about.
Ohhhhh, I didn't think you were that dumb. :lol: but who knows... it's there for the the people that don't know now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.