Two Wheel Forums banner

going to kill my cousin! something broke on the tranny now

3K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  marko138 
#1 ·
well, now my cousin managed to screw up my bike. I dont know WHAT THE HELL he did to it, but it wont stay in neutral with the motor running, it pops into gear if you try and move it at all, and I'm flat out pissed now.

bike is a 97 EX500. last thing I saw him doing, was being a dumb idiot and hammering on my shifter to try and find neutral. he's SO not touching it now.

#2 ·
King Bob said:
well, now my cousin managed to screw up my bike. I dont know WHAT THE HELL he did to it, but it wont stay in neutral with the motor running, it pops into gear if you try and move it at all, and I'm flat out pissed now.

bike is a 97 EX500. last thing I saw him doing, was being a dumb idiot and hammering on my shifter to try and find neutral. he's SO not touching it now.
F that! Didn't you just get that bike?

#4 ·
yeah, thats what pisses me off, I JUST got it. well, now he's driving his pile of crap, I aint letting him take mine out. I doubt its an adjustment, but I'll check.

#9 ·
well, his backside is QUITE lucky, I dont know exactly how, but hooking up the neutral light switch did something for me. also made my brakelight work with the front lever again.

#10 ·
yay for noobs stomping. i dunno if u kno how a motorcycle tranny works but unlike a car they need movement to shift properly. so by stomping into first lke that theres a good chance the problem will be a bent shift fork. ive seen brand new bikes leave the showroom with bent shift forks cuz of noobs sitting on them and hamering away :\

#12 ·
dreadhead13 said:
yay for noobs stomping. i dunno if u kno how a motorcycle tranny works but unlike a car they need movement to shift properly. so by stomping into first lke that theres a good chance the problem will be a bent shift fork. ive seen brand new bikes leave the showroom with bent shift forks cuz of noobs sitting on them and hamering away :\
and the new owner gets the bill because warranty wont cover neglect.:disapp:

#15 ·
Sounds like to me he just messed up the shift ratchet mechanism. The same thing happened to my Katana only it happened to the upshift ratchet. It's a very cheap part to replace but have fun getting to it. If the EX is anything like the Katana, you have to disassemble half of the lower part of the engine to get to the shift ratchet.

#17 ·
dreadhead13 said:
an external pawl or ratchet shift mechanism isnt too bad t get to, just some side cover action, but shift forks require a total engine dissasembly.
Ooo! Bent shift fork. Didn't think of that. Your first shift fork could have been bent by him jumping on the shifter. Hopefully it's not that! Dreadhead is right. If it is a shift fork, you're pullin the motor out of the frame and splitting the case. Not fun. Take pictures at EVERY stage of disassembly so you have a record of how it goes back together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.