Two Wheel Forums banner

Software Upgrade Issues - PLEASE POST HERE!

6K views 40 replies 10 participants last post by  Gas Man 
#1 ·
After I use the quick reply, type and hit submit, it doesn't pope up. When I hit post reply, type and hit submit, it does pop up.

The thing that bothers me most is when I hit new post, the post I just made doesn't pop up at the top of the new post list. It just disappears until someone else reply's. what if i want to get back in there and change something?

:help:

#2 ·
After I use the quick reply, type and hit submit, it doesn't pope up. When I hit post reply, type and hit submit, it does pop up.

The thing that bothers me most is when I hit new post, the post I just made doesn't pop up at the top of the new post list. It just disappears until someone else reply's. what if i want to get back in there and change something?

:help:
I'm having this same issue :tt: is this one of the new anti-spam measures? If so, I can live with it but if not :bash:

#5 ·
No, it's the way the "new post" filter works. Shan mentioned it in one of the test threads when I complained. Once you've posted a reply it's not a thread with a new post, so it disappears. To get it back, either go to the main page (it should still be top 10 showing on the main page) or if you use the top menu bar, Click on the "Active Topics" and it shows all of your recent posts.

#7 ·
yeah, I used to run solely on the "new Post" filter... don't like the faster refresh rate... the other option, is to use the back button on your browser and only refreshing the "new post" filter when you have replied to everything there and know you don't want to edit.

#11 ·
This is due to a change we've made in the way that the forum marks threads as viewed. It may take a small change in the way you do things now but I think you will find the benefits outweigh the problems. If not, we can always change it back.

Basically, in the past if you visited the site and read a few threads the system simply assumed that you read all of the available threads on the entire forum while you were here. It couldn't distinguish between threads you had and had not actually read. It just looked at the cookie for a time stamp and marked everything read when you left.

The new system actually keeps track of which threads you have and have not read. It doesn't mark threads as being read if you have not actually read them.

For an example:

Old Way
1. A forum has two threads on it.
2. You visit and read thread #1.
3. You go away to lunch and come back to the forum.
4. Neither thread has new posts in it.
5. The system shows incorrectly that you have read both threads.

New way:
1. A forum has two threads on it.
2. You visit and read thread #1.
3. You go away to lunch and come back to the forum.
4. Neither thread has new posts in it.
5. The system shows that you have read thread # 1 but not thread # 2. It's easier to identify where there are posts that you have not read yet.

It can get a bit more complicated than that but basically it just keeps better track of what has and what hasn't been read.

If you want a list of all topics, even those you have read, you could try using Active Topics > Last Day from the top menu. See if that works ok for you or not.

From the manual
This option controls how threads and forums are marked as read.
Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the session timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies.

This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.

Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum.

This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.

Database (automatic forum marking) - this option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read.

This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.
We are currently using the middle choice.

Try it out for a bit and let us know what you think. We'll keep it in place for a while and if it doesn't work out we can always switch back.

#12 ·
You can also mark all of the threads within any or all forums as having been read. To do an individual forum just double click on the
icon. To mark all forums as read scroll down and click on the Mark Forums Read text just below the category list on the main forum page.

#14 ·
:withstupi

There were times at work, I was afraid to log out and go home becuase there were some interesting things happening and I didn't want those threads to be marked as read when I hadn't read those posts. I like this concept more, but it will require me to modify my habbits.

#15 ·
As Troy said... this new way, while different works much better. I know that I'm VERY excited about this new feature. Cause many times did I cringe logging on to fix something knowing I don't have the time to go thru all the other "new" posts.

So now I don't have that issue. Me = :willy: excited!!

But please everybody... do a few things for us.

*Point out other things that are "wrong" or "different"
* PLEASE BE PATIENT!!! We are working hard to get thru the upgrade.

#17 ·
What do you mean by "it doesn't pop up"? The quick reply is working for me so I'm not sure of the exact problem you are encountering. If you give me a little more detail and I'll look into it.

#30 ·
When I use the quick reply box and hit submit, my post doesn't pop up underneath the last post in the thread. Or on the next page, depending on how many posts are on the current page when I hit submit. It doesn't show my post actually posted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.