Want the bike that helped start the sport bike craze? - TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
First 1000 Member
 
'73 H1 Triple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Zionsville,PA
Posts: 309
Want the bike that helped start the sport bike craze?

Here's your chance to own the bike that help start it all. It's restored and absolutely gorgeous

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawas...04027712QQrdZ1


It's has 65 bids and it's sitting at $17,900. Next bid meets reserve.

Jeff
'73 H1 Triple is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 06:37 PM
 
DLIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Drinking Soju in Korea
Posts: 17,886
Send a message via AIM to DLIT
Sweet ass ride. I feel bad because Ebay and Paypal are gonna hit him with some major fees at that price.
DLIT is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
First 1000 Member
 
'73 H1 Triple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Zionsville,PA
Posts: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLITALIEN
Sweet ass ride. I feel bad because Ebay and Paypal are gonna hit him with some major fees at that price.
It says this:
Payment methods: Cashier's Check (certified from US or Canadian bank) or money order,
Cash (in person)


No Paypal fees if you don't use paypal. That would save some $$$
'73 H1 Triple is offline  
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 07:09 PM
 
DLIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Drinking Soju in Korea
Posts: 17,886
Send a message via AIM to DLIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by '73 H1 Triple
It says this:
Payment methods: Cashier's Check (certified from US or Canadian bank) or money order,
Cash (in person)


No Paypal fees if you don't use paypal. That would save some $$$
I stand corrected.
DLIT is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 08:08 PM
First 1000 Member
 
JK_DILLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 5,314
wow, i always wanted an old kawi 2 stroke trip, but i didnt know they were so in demand. That one is an absolute beauty! Please tell me there are affordable, rideable, H1's out there.

my one line signature
JK_DILLA is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 08:11 PM
Premium Member
 
justpucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Knoxville TN
Posts: 4,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK_DILLA
wow, i always wanted an old kawi 2 stroke trip, but i didnt know they were so in demand. That one is an absolute beauty! Please tell me there are affordable, rideable, H1's out there.
If it's been maintained, and is rideable, then it's not affordable. If it's affordable it needs serious repairs.
justpucky is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 08:13 PM
First 1000 Member
 
JK_DILLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 5,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by justpucky
If it's been maintained, and is rideable, then it's not affordable. If it's affordable it needs serious repairs.
not what i wanted to hear, but if its true its true. Ok so what is a 500cc 2 stroker that i can afford?

my one line signature
JK_DILLA is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
First 1000 Member
 
'73 H1 Triple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Zionsville,PA
Posts: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK_DILLA
wow, i always wanted an old kawi 2 stroke trip, but i didnt know they were so in demand. That one is an absolute beauty! Please tell me there are affordable, rideable, H1's out there.
You can get a real nice H1 500 for $1500 -$2500. The H2 750 will go for more as they didn't make as many of them.

The one in the auction is absolutely perfect and also a first year of that model. That's why is so expensive.
'73 H1 Triple is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 09:44 PM
First 1000 Member
 
JK_DILLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 5,314
Thats do-able. I would really like to find one locally so i can have a look around it, Hear it, smell it-

my one line signature
JK_DILLA is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 09:54 PM
Chicken Strip
 
DempsRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dixon, IL
Posts: 79
Pretty sweet. That is ass expensive for a bike.

"Engineers are social landmines." -Udo Schnumpf

Adam Dempsey
1995 Honda CBR600 F3
DempsRS is offline  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 11:45 PM
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
That is a sweet classic!




-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 12:34 AM
Chicken Strip
 
oldcb1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK_DILLA
Thats do-able. I would really like to find one locally so i can have a look around it, Hear it, smell it-

I am old enough to have had new examples of the 250, 500, and the widowmaker 750. They were great bikes for the time. Having had the pleasure of riding some modern sportbikes I would do nothing but look, hear and smell those classics. The early 500's particularly were BAD handling bikes. I scared myself badly enough to stop riding for many years.

It is much like the muscle cars of the sixties. They are fun to play with and the torque gives a ride that is unforgetable but they turn like an ocean liner and get their clocks cleaned by new 4cyls.
oldcb1 is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
First 1000 Member
 
'73 H1 Triple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Zionsville,PA
Posts: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcb1

I am old enough to have had new examples of the 250, 500, and the widowmaker 750. They were great bikes for the time. Having had the pleasure of riding some modern sportbikes I would do nothing but look, hear and smell those classics. The early 500's particularly were BAD handling bikes. I scared myself badly enough to stop riding for many years.

It is much like the muscle cars of the sixties. They are fun to play with and the torque gives a ride that is unforgetable but they turn like an ocean liner and get their clocks cleaned by new 4cyls.
I rode both my H1 500's hard but NEVER went " knee dragging " with them. They got extremely unstable when leaned too far. You literally moved your ass to the inside of the seat to keep the bike more upright thru the turns.

If you ever see any of the mid 70s road racing, the guys on the H1's and H2's rode with that style. I imagine the newer sticky tires will help, but it's still 30 some year old technology

Jeff
'73 H1 Triple is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 08:37 PM
First 1000 Member
 
JK_DILLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 5,314
ive heard all the stories of the wet noodle frames on the old bikes. Id like to put an old 2 stroke trip in a better frame and see what happens.

my one line signature
JK_DILLA is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 08:42 PM
Factory Racer
 
stomper173's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Windsor, Canada
Posts: 1,652
Thats a mondo bike, kewl to see one in good shape. There popular at the drag strip, but i always wanted a bid bad trip to boot around on, what a classic

stomper173 is offline  
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
First 1000 Member
 
'73 H1 Triple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Zionsville,PA
Posts: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK_DILLA
ive heard all the stories of the wet noodle frames on the old bikes. Id like to put an old 2 stroke trip in a better frame and see what happens.
They fixed the "frame problem" starting with the '72 model year. It was actually small (short) swing arm bushings and crappy shocks that earned them the "wet noodle" award.
'73 H1 Triple is offline  
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 09:23 PM
First 1000 Member
 
JK_DILLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 5,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by '73 H1 Triple
They fixed the "frame problem" starting with the '72 model year. It was actually small (short) swing arm bushings and crappy shocks that earned them the "wet noodle" award.
so would a '72 and up (like yours ) be something 'useable'? more than just for kicks on a saturday?

my one line signature
JK_DILLA is offline  
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 01:18 AM
Chicken Strip
 
oldcb1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by '73 H1 Triple
I rode both my H1 500's hard but NEVER went " knee dragging " with them. They got extremely unstable when leaned too far. You literally moved your ass to the inside of the seat to keep the bike more upright thru the turns.

If you ever see any of the mid 70s road racing, the guys on the H1's and H2's rode with that style. I imagine the newer sticky tires will help, but it's still 30 some year old technology

Jeff
One of my most vivid memories of racing "back in the day" was seeing Yvonne Duhamel (Miguel's dad) riding just such a bike at Mosport racetrack. He had phenomenal control. It gave me shivers even to imagine trying to ride something that diabolical the way he did.

I too never had the skill (or maybe cojones) to ride thru that frame flexing and twitchiness and stuck to simply riding hard but safe.

Clark
oldcb1 is offline  
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 01:28 AM
Chicken Strip
 
oldcb1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK_DILLA
so would a '72 and up (like yours ) be something 'useable'? more than just for kicks on a saturday?
I agree that the later models were somewhat better but I think anyone who has learned on more modern bikes would be very disappointed or frightened by the handling. Modern tires will help a lot but as Jeff pointed out, it is thirty year old technology. What was acceptable and indeed considered "state of the art" then would now be absolutely ridiculed as junk compared to modern bikes.

Not to be critical as they were the most fun available then and gave a ride you would not soon forget. I think that they should only be used as Saturday night kicks bikes though.

Clark
oldcb1 is offline  
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 04:59 PM
First 1000 Member
 
JK_DILLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 5,314
i used to kick around on a '74 CL350, so i know whats there or not there. Seam pressed frame, drum brakes, AWEFUL tires, but it saw daily duty. Not to say its a H1, but i know the decade.

my one line signature
JK_DILLA is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome