On October 10, 1845, fifty midshipmen and seven faculty attended the first term of The United States Naval School. Five years later, the school became the United States Naval Academy. From the Mexican War to the Persian Gulf War, officers trained at the Academy served in every major U.S. war. President Jimmy Carter holds the distinction of being the sole Naval Academy graduate elected president and commander in chief
At the turn of the century, the campus was rebuilt and expanded to reflect the importance of America's navy to the international policies of President Theodore Roosevelt. Today, 4000 men and women attend classes at the 338-acre campus
When the U.S. Military Academy at West Point was established in 1802, further discussion about a comparable educational institution for the Navy ensued, but for almost fifty years little progress was made towards this goal. During President James Polk's Administration an academy was finally formed under the guidance of Secretary of the Navy George Bancroft.
Bancroft arranged for the Navy to hold its first classes in an unused army post at Ft. Severn in Annapolis, Maryland. He appointed Commander Franklin Buchanan the first superintendent of the Naval Academy. During the Civil War, however, Buchanan served the Confederacy.