Re-evaluating the word friend-GXR-750 K6 - TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 225
Re-evaluating the word friend-GXR-750 K6

I don't know if any of you know me, but whether u do or not I consider this TWF like family & I need to call on family now so show me some love, die hard truth, logic, and neutrality.
I'm a gov't contract worker in the middle east currently & I left my GXR-750 K6 in my garage a month ago. I had just repaired it for the most part because I dropped it. Only thing that was left to repair was the left mirror, but the bolt was stripped & I asked my best friend to fix it for me. I figured he would repair it in my garage since that is where we repaired the rest of the bike(fairings, windscreen,fender, etc). I go back to work in the Middle East and he sends me an e-mail a week later saying the mirror was fixed and I thanked him.
Here is the issue.My daughter's mother went to my home to check on things & she instant messaged me telling me the bike wasn't there. I'm freaking out.My brother told her that my friend said that I asked him to repair the bike & told my brother that I said he could take it. I only have liability insurance only by the way. My brother said he had the bike for 3 weeks and even came over to get my gloves claiming his hands were hurting from riding the bike.I immediately sent word to him to put my bike in the garage. He's been my boy since High School so how should I handle this situation. I've already said he can't use my car or my bike anymore. I'm just thinking I would have never done that to a friend. So my question is, Is he not a true friend or am I making a big deal out of nothing. He has had my back in the past, for which I am appreciative.

Last edited by rlyoung73; 03-02-2007 at 04:50 PM. Reason: grammar correction
rlyoung73 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 04:50 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,720
Sounds like a shiesty deal. has any harm come to your bike from this? was there maybe a miscomunication?

maybe he though since he fixxed it w/o you you owed it to him, who knows. From the sound of things dont get too upset about it right now. If it's possible that he stole it than you should know how to get ahold of the guy and kick his ass, and if he claims he didnt steal it and its still missing you know where to find him.


The law is very sketchy otherwise, in this sort of situation though. Unless you have documented proof that you said he WAS allowed to use your facilities but was NOT allowed to take the bike off your property than you are out of luck.

what you need to do is explain to HIM how serious the situation is, and that your friendship may be on the line. If he values you as a friend he'll understand.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline  
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 225
Bike is back in the garage now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
Sounds like a shiesty deal. has any harm come to your bike from this? was there maybe a miscomunication?

maybe he though since he fixxed it w/o you you owed it to him, who knows. From the sound of things dont get too upset about it right now. If it's possible that he stole it than you should know how to get ahold of the guy and kick his ass, and if he claims he didnt steal it and its still missing you know where to find him.

what you need to do is explain to HIM how serious the situation is, and that your friendship may be on the line. If he values you as a friend he'll understand.
No harm has come to my bike. He brought it over the moment I left a msg for him to bring the bike back. It was never communicated for him to take the bike and definately not to keep my bike for 3 weeks. He could have easily e-mailed me and told me. He was nice enough to email me and tell me that the mirror was fixed. When I e-mailed him and told him that I didn't appreciate it he responded by saying something like, "Excuse me for riding the bike around the neighborhood" After that response I'm more angry, but I've learned not to make a decision while upset. That's why I'm with my TWF family now.
rlyoung73 is offline  
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 05:06 PM

 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 150
He's just taking advantage of you-period. Sure he helped fix you bike but did he pay for it? I used to have friends that would do sh*t like that. Funny that ususally these "friends" can't afford to replace or even buy a bike if they wreck them. Honestly drop your "friend", if he was your friend he wouldn't be taking what's yours out for his own enjoyment.
ghostrider750 is offline  
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 05:33 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,720
yah this really boils down to a matter of respect. He doesnt respect you enough to understand that you were concerned about your investment. Bikes arent toys, they are very expensive. If he is too childish to man up and say "im sorry i took advantage of your trust" then you are better of seeing him less and less, he'll only bring you down with him man.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline  
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 225
Respect/ taken advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
yah this really boils down to a matter of respect. He doesnt respect you enough to understand that you were concerned about your investment. Bikes arent toys, they are very expensive. If he is too childish to man up and say "im sorry i took advantage of your trust" then you are better of seeing him less and less, he'll only bring you down with him man.
NonTooSoft and Ghostrider, thank you for your input. Both of you have pretty much told me in one way or another that he was wrong. It's a shame that he and I have been through alot and helped each other throughout the years and I have to distance myself from him. Well I'm quite far away now since I'm in Iraq for another 7 months. My bike is not a toy. It's an expensive acquired taste that I take seriously. Just like Ghostrider said earlier if he would had dropped it or totaled it he hasn't the funds to replace or repair it so why would he take a chance? Why, because he has no respect as nontooSoft suggested. I wish I had friends who were on my level mentally instead of dooshbags!!
rlyoung73 is offline  
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 06:10 PM
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,082
wash your hands of this fool. would he just take it upon himself to help himself to your girlfriend if you left her behind? that's not a friend...
itgirl25 is offline  
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 06:28 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,348
I caught my ex wife sleeping with my supposed best friend.... he was my best friend for over 10 years...my brst man in my wedding... and was my daughter's godfather.... I have a real problem with trust now... so i let actions do the talking. confront him and ask him why he took the bike out and if it looks like bull**** and smells like bull****..... then it's bull****... if the reason sounds legit... you make the call.
TATER is offline  
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 225
True friends???

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATER View Post
I caught my ex wife sleeping with my supposed best friend.... he was my best friend for over 10 years...my brst man in my wedding... and was my daughter's godfather.... I have a real problem with trust now... so i let actions do the talking. confront him and ask him why he took the bike out and if it looks like bull**** and smells like bull****..... then it's bull****... if the reason sounds legit... you make the call.
Man that's unbelievable. Makes you wonder if he was doing her while ya'll were still married. That's like the most disrespectful thing I ever heard. Here I am talking about a bike, but this was your ex-wife. I feel for you bro. There is just no comparison between a bike and a person you love. Well, I do love my bike and that is why I'm seriously considering dumping him as a friend. Because friends do friendly things and not evil things. As friends we screw up sometimes, but as friends we don't Fk up<<< Can I say Fk on this site?
rlyoung73 is offline  
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 07:55 PM
Sportbike Junkie
 
dscort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: wauseon ohio
Posts: 665
ouch man. he might be a friend but he cant really be trusted. only one of my friends rides my bike (when i know hes ridin it) and he knows if he hurts it i ride his while he fixes it! I could ride a cbr900 if he wrecked my cbr929. woudnt like any of it but i would.
i wouldnt say ditch him but id make sure he didnt have a key to my house or garage!

01 CBR929RE ------------- 01 DRZ400S SOLD ------------ 95 CBR900RR

dscort is offline  
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 08:29 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,420
I would say that your friend is at the least very disrespectful of your property, and I would not put up with that. If he were to own up to being wrong about taking your nike with out permission and apologize I might let it slide. If he doesn't see what the deal is then he is not the kind of friend you should have. Its one thing to lend a friend in need a hundred bucks and know that it could be a very long time if ever that you get payed back. It is a totaly different matter for a friend to decieve your brother and use your bike with out asking you that is not cool at all...
byron12 is offline  
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 08:34 PM
 
saverok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: nashville,tn
Posts: 3,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider750 View Post
He's just taking advantage of you-period. Sure he helped fix you bike but did he pay for it? I used to have friends that would do sh*t like that. Funny that ususally these "friends" can't afford to replace or even buy a bike if they wreck them. Honestly drop your "friend", if he was your friend he wouldn't be taking what's yours out for his own enjoyment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
yah this really boils down to a matter of respect. He doesnt respect you enough to understand that you were concerned about your investment. Bikes arent toys, they are very expensive. If he is too childish to man up and say "im sorry i took advantage of your trust" then you are better of seeing him less and less, he'll only bring you down with him man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itgirl25 View Post
wash your hands of this fool. would he just take it upon himself to help himself to your girlfriend if you left her behind? that's not a friend...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TATER View Post
I caught my ex wife sleeping with my supposed best friend.... he was my best friend for over 10 years...my brst man in my wedding... and was my daughter's godfather.... I have a real problem with trust now... so i let actions do the talking. confront him and ask him why he took the bike out and if it looks like bull**** and smells like bull****..... then it's bull****... if the reason sounds legit... you make the call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron12 View Post
I would say that your friend is at the least very disrespectful of your property, and I would not put up with that. If he were to own up to being wrong about taking your nike with out permission and apologize I might let it slide. If he doesn't see what the deal is then he is not the kind of friend you should have. Its one thing to lend a friend in need a hundred bucks and know that it could be a very long time if ever that you get payed back. It is a totaly different matter for a friend to decieve your brother and use your bike with out asking you that is not cool at all...
I would drop this guy like a bad habit man....or a good habit in my case....Like it girl said in my eyes that is like helping you self to my girl..... not gonna happen with out getting shot at in the process.

Quote:
They call me Mr. Saverok
Silence is golden: Duct tape is silver.
saverok is offline  
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 08:40 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlyoung73 View Post
Man that's unbelievable. Makes you wonder if he was doing her while ya'll were still married. That's like the most disrespectful thing I ever heard. Here I am talking about a bike, but this was your ex-wife. I feel for you bro. There is just no comparison between a bike and a person you love. Well, I do love my bike and that is why I'm seriously considering dumping him as a friend. Because friends do friendly things and not evil things. As friends we screw up sometimes, but as friends we don't Fk up<<< Can I say Fk on this site?
SORRY.... so used to calling her my ex wife now.... we were married at the time... i fu#$ed him up something fierce...


hence the reason for the last option on every poll on this forum since i joined....<-------inside joke

i used to trust everyone until they give me a reason not to...

now i trust no one even if they give me reason to trust them.
TATER is offline  
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 08:59 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,335
Ok, here's my take on it. He was disrespectful for assuming you wouldn't mind if he rode your bike. But he was respectful enough to return it immediately when you messaged him. I think you should first make it clear (without being an ass) that you simply don't want your bike being ridden while you're away. Explain about the insurance and the fact that you just got the bike fixed. You don't want it wrecked and your insurance won't cover him (it would, but he probably doesn't know that). Try to make it sound like it's in his best interest to NOT ride the bike. Explain that you only have liability and you wouldn't want him owing you to replace the bike if it's wrecked. Or just say that even though he's your friend, you simply don't want anyone to ride your bike. If he understands this, then all is good. If he doesn't, then it's definitely time to find a new friend. But keep in mind, true friends are harder to find than new bikes.
Captain Morgan is offline  
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 09:03 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
Ok, here's my take on it. He was disrespectful for assuming you wouldn't mind if he rode your bike. But he was respectful enough to return it immediately when you messaged him. I think you should first make it clear (without being an ass) that you simply don't want your bike being ridden while you're away. Explain about the insurance and the fact that you just got the bike fixed. You don't want it wrecked and your insurance won't cover him (it would, but he probably doesn't know that). Try to make it sound like it's in his best interest to NOT ride the bike. Explain that you only have liability and you wouldn't want him owing you to replace the bike if it's wrecked. Or just say that even though he's your friend, you simply don't want anyone to ride your bike. If he understands this, then all is good. If he doesn't, then it's definitely time to find a new friend. But keep in mind, true friends are harder to find than new bikes.
That pretty much sums it up perfectly...
byron12 is offline  
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 09:09 PM
 
saverok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: nashville,tn
Posts: 3,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
Ok, here's my take on it. He was disrespectful for assuming you wouldn't mind if he rode your bike. But he was respectful enough to return it immediately when you messaged him. I think you should first make it clear (without being an ass) that you simply don't want your bike being ridden while you're away. Explain about the insurance and the fact that you just got the bike fixed. You don't want it wrecked and your insurance won't cover him (it would, but he probably doesn't know that). Try to make it sound like it's in his best interest to NOT ride the bike. Explain that you only have liability and you wouldn't want him owing you to replace the bike if it's wrecked. Or just say that even though he's your friend, you simply don't want anyone to ride your bike. If he understands this, then all is good. If he doesn't, then it's definitely time to find a new friend. But keep in mind, true friends are harder to find than new bikes.
damn I hate it when some one argues and makes since........he is right.

Quote:
They call me Mr. Saverok
Silence is golden: Duct tape is silver.
saverok is offline  
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 09:14 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by saverok View Post
damn I hate it when some one argues and makes since........he is right.
Capn has shown to have much relationship wisdom; he is a regualr doctor phil...
byron12 is offline  
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 10:23 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron12 View Post
Capn has shown to have much relationship wisdom; he is a regualr doctor phil...
Eh, don't put too much faith in me. I'm single, so I must be doing something wrong, at least according to people who have no business telling me to get married.
Captain Morgan is offline  
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 10:34 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 509
a "friend" of mine wanted to take my bike to the next city (45min away) i just looked at him and laughed. there is only one other person who has riddin my bike. he is a very good friend and if he wrecked it.. he has the money to replace it.
other then that. no one tuches _her_!

and if some one took her with out me knowing.. id find out why and if i didn't like the answer.. id be kickin some ass.
cloner_357 is offline  
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 10:54 PM
Rae
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
Ok, here's my take on it. He was disrespectful for assuming you wouldn't mind if he rode your bike. But he was respectful enough to return it immediately when you messaged him. I think you should first make it clear (without being an ass) that you simply don't want your bike being ridden while you're away. Explain about the insurance and the fact that you just got the bike fixed. You don't want it wrecked and your insurance won't cover him (it would, but he probably doesn't know that). Try to make it sound like it's in his best interest to NOT ride the bike. Explain that you only have liability and you wouldn't want him owing you to replace the bike if it's wrecked. Or just say that even though he's your friend, you simply don't want anyone to ride your bike. If he understands this, then all is good. If he doesn't, then it's definitely time to find a new friend. But keep in mind, true friends are harder to find than new bikes.
100%
Rae is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome