My step kids are so different! - TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,586
My step kids are so different!

My step boys (12 & 10) want to go for rides on the ZX6R every now and then. The 10 year old loves the speed and could spend an entire ride on the back wheel, but he is a terrible passenger always shifting his weight and leaning at the wrong times.

My 12 year old can feel if the front tire is even an inch off the ground (tough since he weighs 135 lbs, can you say baby hughey?) and is terrified of lean angle. He rides very easily though and doesn't try to shift his weight or hang off at all?

I suppose I should let the youngest ride my Ninja and buy a cruiser for giving rides to his older brother
smileyman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 09:54 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,720
havent you tried just explaining how to sit 2 up properly? glue his butt to the seat.

lol, are you doing wheelies w/ your step kids on the back of the bike?
NONE_too_SOFT is offline  
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 09:56 AM
Low
First 1000 Member
 
Low's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Never Ending Season H-Town
Posts: 3,082
Send a message via AIM to Low
Sounds like someone... is looking for a reason to get another bike....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
I suppose I should let the youngest ride my Ninja and buy a cruiser for giving rides to his older brother
Low is offline  
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 09:59 AM
TWF Board Of Directors
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
My step boys (12 & 10) want to go for rides on the ZX6R every now and then. The 10 year old loves the speed and could spend an entire ride on the back wheel, but he is a terrible passenger always shifting his weight and leaning at the wrong times.

My 12 year old can feel if the front tire is even an inch off the ground (tough since he weighs 135 lbs, can you say baby hughey?) and is terrified of lean angle. He rides very easily though and doesn't try to shift his weight or hang off at all?

I suppose I should let the youngest ride my Ninja and buy a cruiser for giving rides to his older brother
Thats about average for 12 isnt it? My 10 year old is 5'2" 125lbs.

I've taken him up and down the street but I never taken him oc the open road. I wont take my 7 yo daughter on the bike at all. I have however taken her on my sons motoctoss bike.
Rider is offline  
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 10:11 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low View Post
Sounds like someone... is looking for a reason to get another bike....
GiXeRXtC is offline  
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,586
They do like to ride so who am I to complain. Their mom won't go since we had the baby (who is now 2). She can't stand the thought of not being able to care for him and doesn't like the risk of an accident (She owned her own bike once and rode with me for years before the kid) and I haven't had an accident on the street since 1996!
smileyman is offline  
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 10:19 AM
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Thats about average for 12 isnt it? My 10 year old is 5'2" 125lbs.

I've taken him up and down the street but I never taken him oc the open road. I wont take my 7 yo daughter on the bike at all. I have however taken her on my sons motoctoss bike.
why won't you take your 7 yo? is she too small? mine 7 yo would love to go for a ride. i am not sure she is ready yet. should i wait a bit longer? she'd probably fit better on the street rod than the 636.
itgirl25 is offline  
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 10:21 AM
TWF Board Of Directors
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by itgirl25 View Post
why won't you take your 7 yo? is she too small? mine 7 yo would love to go for a ride. i am not sure she is ready yet. should i wait a bit longer? she'd probably fit better on the street rod than the 636.
I think she's too small, plus I dont have a helmet that will fit her. My son has his own helmet.
Rider is offline  
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,586
My kids always have gear on. Jackets, helmets, at the minimum. Gloves and boots whenever available. I would love to be able to get them dirtbikes but Santa is gonna have to get a serious raise before that could happen
smileyman is offline  
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 11:15 AM
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
I take my little bro for rides all the time. He's AWESOME on the back!

I have a feeling with my bro-in-law having his own bike but with no real riding expierence and the my wife having her own bike... I'll be riding the sister-in-law on back of mine alot!




-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 02:25 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
My step boys (12 & 10) want to go for rides on the ZX6R every now and then. The 10 year old loves the speed and could spend an entire ride on the back wheel, but he is a terrible passenger always shifting his weight and leaning at the wrong times.

My 12 year old can feel if the front tire is even an inch off the ground (tough since he weighs 135 lbs, can you say baby hughey?) and is terrified of lean angle. He rides very easily though and doesn't try to shift his weight or hang off at all?

I suppose I should let the youngest ride my Ninja and buy a cruiser for giving rides to his older brother
That love of speed is what is causing him to move around. He's excited and keeps wanting to look at everything. The other one is sitting still cause he's scared out of his mind of the lean and the speed.

Sit the speed junkie down and talk to him about being a good passenger. Sit the other one down and let him watch some MotoGP clips (just not the wrecks, yet) and explain to him how the motorcycle turns better by leaning.
Captain Morgan is offline  
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 04:04 PM
 
saverok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: nashville,tn
Posts: 3,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
I take my little bro for rides all the time. He's AWESOME on the back!

I have a feeling with my bro-in-law having his own bike but with no real riding expierence and the my wife having her own bike... I'll be riding the sister-in-law on back of mine alot!
now how does the wifey feel about you riding your sister-in-law?????

Quote:
They call me Mr. Saverok
Silence is golden: Duct tape is silver.
saverok is offline  
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,586
I don't know about his, but my wife would kick me square in the balls if she caught me in between another womans legs, dressed, riding, or otherwise..
smileyman is offline  
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 05:00 PM
 
saverok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: nashville,tn
Posts: 3,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
I don't know about his, but my wife would kick me square in the balls if she caught me in between another womans legs, dressed, riding, or otherwise..
mine too.........

Quote:
They call me Mr. Saverok
Silence is golden: Duct tape is silver.
saverok is offline  
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 10:15 PM
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by saverok View Post
now how does the wifey feel about you riding your sister-in-law?????
Not too much.. she says she'll be watching!!




-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 06:50 PM
 
saverok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: nashville,tn
Posts: 3,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Not too much.. she says she'll be watching!!
is the sister-in-law hawt???


Quote:
They call me Mr. Saverok
Silence is golden: Duct tape is silver.
saverok is offline  
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 01:01 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 196
I am deeply saddened by this. Not the fact that your step-kids aren't good at riding two up mind you, but the fact that a 12 year old weighs the same as I do.
DoktorPete is offline  
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 01:12 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorPete View Post
I am deeply saddened by this. Not the fact that your step-kids aren't good at riding two up mind you, but the fact that a 12 year old weighs the same as I do.
ebbs15 is offline  
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 09:42 AM
Factory Racer
 
jalaan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 2,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorPete View Post
I am deeply saddened by this. Not the fact that your step-kids aren't good at riding two up mind you, but the fact that a 12 year old weighs the same as I do.

you might still be growing. (not )

'99 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-7R, My 3/4 Liter
".. speed, you can't touch it, but you damn sure can feel it! "
jalaan1 is offline  
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 09:49 AM
Factory Racer
 
jalaan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 2,022
my son def. wants to ride with me but....
i still don't feel comfortable enough to ride a passenger yet,
and the kid's almost bigger than i am. he's about 5' 10" now and 180lbs. @14 yrs old.

i just might have to get him his own starter bike when he's old enough
for his liscence. which is pretty soon.

--off topic but...
what should i start him off on?
don't want him to start off late in life like i did.

'99 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-7R, My 3/4 Liter
".. speed, you can't touch it, but you damn sure can feel it! "
jalaan1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome