HDTV ppl... - TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,152
HDTV ppl...

thinking about getting an HDTV. this is what I have in mind:
http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=SHLC52D62U

52", 1080p, pretty much the biggest baddest motha f*cka i could find. for $2500

anyways...if you have an HDTV, what is it, and what type of HD programming do you have (Dish network, DirecTV, Cable, etc.). currently we've got dish network, and they dont have many HD channels. so most of the time it'd be in SD. is it even worth it to get an HDTV then? it'd still be sweet to have a hyooj TV, but what happens if u play SD? everything gets stretched? everytime i think of buying one i come to this same point and quit


Last edited by Crazy250; 04-12-2007 at 10:30 PM.
Crazy250 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 10:30 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,790
Hitatchi is the best in HDTV.

Most over the air broadcast channels are HD now, which there's no point in watching your local channels over the dish...just watch it over the air.
R1up0n1 is offline  
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1up0n1 View Post
Hitatchi is the best in HDTV.

Most over the air broadcast channels are HD now, which there's no point in watching your local channels over the dish...just watch it over the air.
ahh sorry im a complete HD noob. so OTA is free and i just buy an antenna? is it a huge antenna or rabbit ears?
Crazy250 is offline  
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 10:44 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy250 View Post
ahh sorry im a complete HD noob. so OTA is free and i just buy an antenna? is it a huge antenna or rabbit ears?
Its ok... you gotta start and learn somewhere.

Yes, OTA is free, and almost ALL stations are braodcasting HD, and if they are not I guarntee it's in the works.

Rabbit ears won't give you the best reception you need.

I would recommend a 75-150 mile antenna on the roof, with a electronic position motor so you can point the direction of the antenna with a push of a button on the remote.

Of coarse keep your Dish so you get all the other channels too because Cable tv sucks!

Check out the consumer reports.... you will find Hitatchi HDTV's are among the best.
R1up0n1 is offline  
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1up0n1 View Post
Its ok... you gotta start and learn somewhere.

Yes, OTA is free, and almost ALL stations are braodcasting HD, and if they are not I guarntee it's in the works.

Rabbit ears won't give you the best reception you need.

I would recommend a 75-150 mile antenna on the roof, with a electronic position motor so you can point the direction of the antenna with a push of a button on the remote.

Of coarse keep your Dish so you get all the other channels too because Cable tv sucks!

Check out the consumer reports.... you will find Hitatchi HDTV's are among the best.
thanks for the advice m8, definitely helps.

who installs such things? place like best buy?

Last edited by Crazy250; 04-12-2007 at 10:58 PM.
Crazy250 is offline  
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 10:55 PM
TWF Board Of Directors

 
Trip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 11,484
Send a message via AIM to Trip
I am not a fan of Hitachi.

My choices would depend on what type of TV you want, Samsung or Mitsubishi is what I like in DLP, Pioneer or Panasonic in Plasma, Sony in LCD and rear projection LCD.

2005 Honda CRF88RR - 2007 Honda CBR600RR
Trip is offline  
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,152
i'm not exactly sure. I was under the impression that LCD offers the best picture quality, and thats the #1 thing. want to keep it slim so LCD or Plasma would be best.
Crazy250 is offline  
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 11:49 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 32
If you want it slim then u def want an LCD or Plasma. However. for gaming you want LCD for sure. The sharp you are looking at has an awesome Response time, 4ms...So for gaming thats an awesome TV. For the price you are trying to stay around that is a good TV. I dont know much about hitachi. But instead of using consumer reports I might recommend using CNET and other sites for reviews. Consumer reports tend to be out of date very fast. Best Buy is also clearing out almost all of their TVs right now because of new models coming in. I work there. If you tell me where you live I could send you a couple models that are like what you are looking for and ones they are clearing out. I can look it up at diff locations. If you get a clearence still in the box it would be a great deal
WDL386 is offline  
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDL386 View Post
If you want it slim then u def want an LCD or Plasma. However. for gaming you want LCD for sure. The sharp you are looking at has an awesome Response time, 4ms...So for gaming thats an awesome TV. For the price you are trying to stay around that is a good TV. I dont know much about hitachi. But instead of using consumer reports I might recommend using CNET and other sites for reviews. Consumer reports tend to be out of date very fast. Best Buy is also clearing out almost all of their TVs right now because of new models coming in. I work there. If you tell me where you live I could send you a couple models that are like what you are looking for and ones they are clearing out. I can look it up at diff locations. If you get a clearence still in the box it would be a great deal
hey thanks for the info man. 4ms? thats better than my computer monitor i think I hope I'll be getting a next gen system sometime soon but not really sure. but I'm a gamer for sure.
I'm a big fan of cnet and they have a TON of info on HD that I found so right now I'm reading thru all of that. I havent even gotten to the "which one and how much" stage yet, still trying to figure out what I need.
do they have plasmas in 1080p or other high res?
also, do places like best buy install antennas, and do they price match online vendors (i'm guessing not)?
i'm in champaign IL zip 61822 in case u can find anything, thx
Crazy250 is offline  
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 12:22 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 679
Well, from what I know of it HD tv is only as good as the tv you're watching it on. My father just got a new Sony LCD tv that looks pretty sweet. My parents also have one of the HD antenna things as well as dishtv.

I like the new LCD screens but personally I can't usually tell the difference between HD and normal tv.
brie is offline  
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by brie View Post
I like the new LCD screens but personally I can't usually tell the difference between HD and normal tv.
Crazy250 is offline  
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 01:06 AM
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1up0n1 View Post
Its ok... you gotta start and learn somewhere.

Yes, OTA is free, and almost ALL stations are braodcasting HD, and if they are not I guarntee it's in the works.

Rabbit ears won't give you the best reception you need.

I would recommend a 75-150 mile antenna on the roof, with a electronic position motor so you can point the direction of the antenna with a push of a button on the remote.

Of coarse keep your Dish so you get all the other channels too because Cable tv sucks!

Check out the consumer reports.... you will find Hitatchi HDTV's are among the best.
Yeah I don't think so. I have the HD with dual DVR box from Comcast. Works great and has GREAT HD pic. Besides without the cable you won't be able to DVR your favorite show Super Bikes.

But the TV looks nice. And the debate on tv brands is a joke. Just like everything else... only a few companies make the actual products!




-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 01:10 AM
Sportbike Junkie
 
TIGGER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Greenville,NC
Posts: 658
I have the Sony 46" XBR LCD and I use cable because I also get my internet with them. Plus,you gon't have to buy any eqipement,there are no contracts,and the HD receiver is also a DVR(digital video recorder,like TiVo) which records all of my programs while I'm away so I can fast foward thru the comercials!! I have heard that Direct Tv is going to have over 120 hd channels by the end of the year so I am looking their way right now. If you want to see what hd tv can do go to someone's house that has it and click onto DiscoveryHD channel...WOW is all I can say!!! BTW Brie,if you can't tell the difference they might not have it hooked up correctly. Like everything else,when you go premium you have to buy the expensive cables; HDMI,VGA or DVI. They say you can use component but I think that only gets you 480p. I also have an XBox360 and agree that LCD is the way to go for gaming...plus I'm using my LCD tv in the bedroom(32") as my monitor right now with a wireless keyboard/mouse and it is awesome! Once you start watching tv in HD you can never go back!

TIGGER is offline  
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 01:14 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I have the Sony 46" XBR LCD and I use cable because I also get my internet with them. Plus,you gon't have to buy any eqipement,there are no contracts,and the HD receiver is also a DVR(digital video recorder,like TiVo) which records all of my programs while I'm away so I can fast foward thru the comercials!! I have heard that Direct Tv is going to have over 120 hd channels by the end of the year so I am looking their way right now. If you want to see what hd tv can do go to someone's house that has it and click onto DiscoveryHD channel...WOW is all I can say!!! BTW Brie,if you can't tell the difference they might not have it hooked up correctly. Like everything else,when you go premium you have to buy the expensive cables; HDMI,VGA or DVI. They say you can use component but I think that only gets you 480p. I also have an XBox360 and agree that LCD is the way to go for gaming...plus I'm using my LCD tv in the bedroom(32") as my monitor right now with a wireless keyboard/mouse and it is awesome! Once you start watching tv in HD you can never go back!

I haven't seen it but I've heard Discovery HD is incredible.



marko138 is offline  
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 01:50 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
BTW Brie,if you can't tell the difference they might not have it hooked up correctly.
Well I'm thinking it's cause the tv I watch when I stay with them is an HD tv that's got to be like 4 or 5 years old. I can say that my father's new tv looks much better but I dunno if it's cause of the hd or not.

Hey, at my place I have cable and about a 12 inch tv so it's not like it matters to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy250 View Post
I know for a while is was all

brie is offline  
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 01:55 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by brie View Post
Well I'm thinking it's cause the tv I watch when I stay with them is an HD tv that's got to be like 4 or 5 years old. I can say that my father's new tv looks much better but I dunno if it's cause of the hd or not.

Hey, at my place I have cable and about a 12 inch tv so it's not like it matters to me


I know for a while is was all

Atleast you have cable. I work in television and I dont have cable.



marko138 is offline  
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 02:05 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 17,886
Solid TV. Anything in 1080p will be tight as fu*k. Even 360 or PS3 will be tits. The Aquos' are top of the line. Samsung DLP's are outstanding as well.
DLIT is offline  
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 02:13 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Atleast you have cable. I work in television and I dont have cable.
word. i've got bunny ears on my tube. Television is a bad bad thing, makes us sit around and watch things we'd like to do instead of actually doing them.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline  
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 02:17 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Atleast you have cable. I work in television and I dont have cable.
Well I wouldn't except it's free on campus
brie is offline  
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 05:39 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
word. i've got bunny ears on my tube. Television is a bad bad thing, makes us sit around and watch things we'd like to do instead of actually doing them.
Oh dont kid yourself...I'd love to have cable. I'm missin out on SportsCenter, MNF...all that stuff. But alas...I've got the bunny ears....till TV starts paying me some solid wages.



marko138 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome