any contact lens wearers... - TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,082
any contact lens wearers...

i just got a new set of contacts last week and i absolutely HATE them! they are so uncomfortable! i got a daily wear pair this time instead of disposables. i paid the same price for the daily wear pair as i would 3 months worth of disposables. i don't like to waste $$, and reusing contacts is no problem for me. but here is my issue...

i have an astigmatism and the last time i got contacts they gave me those toric lenses. those are lenses that are thicker at the top and bottom, so they are weighted and won't spin in your eye. you are supposed to see slightly clearer with them. well, i can feel the thick edge of the left one rubbing the inside of my eyelid and it bugs me. plus these feel like they dry out so quick and i get blurry spots from time to time. i go back to the eye doc next week to have them looked at for my 2 week check-up. i will be sure to tell her how much i hate them.

i've worn contacts for many years, but have never had this kinda discomfort/issues when wearing them. just since i got these toric lenses. anyone else have issues? is there anything i can use to ease my discomfort? i hate this.
itgirl25 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 02:28 PM
Supporting Member
October 2007 BOTM Winner!
 
tallywacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: A Patrol base in IRAQ
Posts: 2,694
Send a message via AIM to tallywacker Send a message via Yahoo to tallywacker
Yeah toric lenses are annoying at first just like when u started wearing contacts for the first time. Dont worry you will get used to it and they wont bother you anymore.

www.myspace.com/kurtpittman
3/320th FA RAKKASANS

GHOST RIDE THE WHIP
tallywacker is offline  
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 03:01 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,316
what lenses do you have? I've got an asthig... yeah that... too... I use Acuview for Asthig... yeah that... they're REALLY comfortable... but REALLY THIN! so they tear easy... my old ones were FOCUS TORIC... they were thicker but not as comfortable...
ebbs15 is offline  
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 03:10 PM
Contest Winner
'07 Rally Veteran
November 2007 BOTM Winner!
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cbus, OH, and about 100,000 posts behind the post whore
Posts: 7,649
Send a message via AIM to drewpy
i sport the night and days, and i love them, i dontknow if they have a set for that asthigmatisum thingy though-



"It takes alot of anything to make my bike to something"
2001 RC51
drewpy is offline  
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 04:23 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,152
i've got some RGP (hard) lenses rite now, 30 days on at once supposedly. soft contacts are so much more comfortable tho...
Crazy250 is offline  
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
what lenses do you have? I've got an asthig... yeah that... too... I use Acuview for Asthig... yeah that... they're REALLY comfortable... but REALLY THIN! so they tear easy... my old ones were FOCUS TORIC... they were thicker but not as comfortable...
mine are bausch & lomb. my old toric lenses were biomedics (or something like that). both bother me. i know disposables are thinner, i am beginning to think that it is just the toric lenses that bug me...no matter what brand. i wonder if it is required for astigmatisms? i don't know how i'll ever get used to them.
itgirl25 is offline  
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 07:59 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by itgirl25 View Post
mine are bausch & lomb. my old toric lenses were biomedics (or something like that). both bother me. i know disposables are thinner, i am beginning to think that it is just the toric lenses that bug me...no matter what brand. i wonder if it is required for astigmatisms? i don't know how i'll ever get used to them.
yeah Toric lenses are for astig... yeah that...

you might see if you can do a trial pair of Acuview... all the Optometrists I work with say they've never had anyone complain... other than how thin they are...
ebbs15 is offline  
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,082
i'll hafta inquire about them on tuesday. thanks!
itgirl25 is offline  
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 09:25 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by itgirl25 View Post
i'll hafta inquire about them on tuesday. thanks!
yup yup..
ebbs15 is offline  
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 10:37 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
i sport the night and days, and i love them, i dontknow if they have a set for that asthigmatisum thingy though-


Then again... I got me the Lasik baby!!!
OneSickPsycho is offline  
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 10:39 PM
Supporting Member
October 2007 BOTM Winner!
 
tallywacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: A Patrol base in IRAQ
Posts: 2,694
Send a message via AIM to tallywacker Send a message via Yahoo to tallywacker
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesickpsycho View Post


Then again... I got me the Lasik baby!!!
Another military benefit... we get lasik for free

www.myspace.com/kurtpittman
3/320th FA RAKKASANS

GHOST RIDE THE WHIP
tallywacker is offline  
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallywacker View Post
Another military benefit... we get lasik for free
niiiice! what is the cut-off age for enlistment? that might be enough incentive right there.
itgirl25 is offline  
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 11:20 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by itgirl25 View Post
i just got a new set of contacts last week and i absolutely HATE them! they are so uncomfortable! i got a daily wear pair this time instead of disposables. i paid the same price for the daily wear pair as i would 3 months worth of disposables. i don't like to waste $$, and reusing contacts is no problem for me. but here is my issue...

i have an astigmatism and the last time i got contacts they gave me those toric lenses. those are lenses that are thicker at the top and bottom, so they are weighted and won't spin in your eye. you are supposed to see slightly clearer with them. well, i can feel the thick edge of the left one rubbing the inside of my eyelid and it bugs me. plus these feel like they dry out so quick and i get blurry spots from time to time. i go back to the eye doc next week to have them looked at for my 2 week check-up. i will be sure to tell her how much i hate them.

i've worn contacts for many years, but have never had this kinda discomfort/issues when wearing them. just since i got these toric lenses. anyone else have issues? is there anything i can use to ease my discomfort? i hate this.
Are you sure they aren't flipped inside out? I never had toric, so I don't know, but my soft lenses would sometimes get flipped inside out during cleaning and bug the hell out of me when I put them back in later. To tell, just put it on the tip of your finger and hold it up to look at it. If the edge flares out, it's inside out. -v- vs. just v. Kind of hard to demonstrate with the characters on the keyboard, but hopefully you get the drift.

At any rate, I don't have to worry about contacts anymore. I got lasik 5 years ago and couldn't be happier.
Captain Morgan is offline  
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 03:41 AM
Factory Racer
 
Bassplayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Leandro, CA
Posts: 1,431
Send a message via AIM to Bassplayer
i wear contacts too. I was on the border of needing toric and not.. (ive got slight astigmatism in both eyes) I use Biometric, and never feel them ever... Hope all comes works out ok for ya itgirl
Bassplayer is offline  
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
Are you sure they aren't flipped inside out? I never had toric, so I don't know, but my soft lenses would sometimes get flipped inside out during cleaning and bug the hell out of me when I put them back in later. To tell, just put it on the tip of your finger and hold it up to look at it. If the edge flares out, it's inside out. -v- vs. just v. Kind of hard to demonstrate with the characters on the keyboard, but hopefully you get the drift.

At any rate, I don't have to worry about contacts anymore. I got lasik 5 years ago and couldn't be happier.
i thought that was a possibility, so i checked for that. i think the left one may have been inside out because i inverted it the last time i inserted it and it bothered me a bit less, plus it cleared up a bit too. i found that the left one was a bit blurry, like it wasn't the right prescription or something. so that helped a bit. the right one doesn't always give me problems. mainly that left one.
itgirl25 is offline  
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 10:15 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by itgirl25 View Post
i thought that was a possibility, so i checked for that. i think the left one may have been inside out because i inverted it the last time i inserted it and it bothered me a bit less, plus it cleared up a bit too. i found that the left one was a bit blurry, like it wasn't the right prescription or something. so that helped a bit. the right one doesn't always give me problems. mainly that left one.
Sounds like they may have just given you the wrong lens. Hopefully they figure it out when you go to the doc again. I hated it when my contacts didn't fit right and absolutely despised wearing glasses. and hope it all works out.
Captain Morgan is offline  
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 12:25 PM
TWF Champion
 
SVRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 3,631
Send a message via Yahoo to SVRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallywacker View Post
Another military benefit... we get lasik for free
You/we do???? How do you go about that one!!??
When I was looking into it, the guard said it was a big , and would have nothing to do with it. That was a year or so ago tho.
Guess I'll have to check into it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
they make the one i posted in a strap on version
SVRider is offline  
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 12:26 PM
TWF Champion
 
SVRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 3,631
Send a message via Yahoo to SVRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by itgirl25 View Post
mine are bausch & lomb. my old toric lenses were biomedics (or something like that). both bother me. i know disposables are thinner, i am beginning to think that it is just the toric lenses that bug me...no matter what brand. i wonder if it is required for astigmatisms? i don't know how i'll ever get used to them.
I have a minor astigmawhoosits (you know) and I don't need any special type of lens... but maybe i'm just special???

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
they make the one i posted in a strap on version
SVRider is offline  
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 01:12 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRider View Post
You/we do???? How do you go about that one!!??
When I was looking into it, the guard said it was a big , and would have nothing to do with it. That was a year or so ago tho.
Guess I'll have to check into it again.
if you go to you annual optometry appt and ask they'll tell you if your a candidate or not.
ebbs15 is offline  
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 01:18 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by itgirl25 View Post
i thought that was a possibility, so i checked for that. i think the left one may have been inside out because i inverted it the last time i inserted it and it bothered me a bit less, plus it cleared up a bit too. i found that the left one was a bit blurry, like it wasn't the right prescription or something. so that helped a bit. the right one doesn't always give me problems. mainly that left one.
I had a problem like that with my VERY FIRST pair of contacts... when I went to have them check it out they said the axis was off... meaning the "weighted" part of the lens was not where it should be so it cause my vision to get all screwy... I'd see clearly about 5-10% of the time.

also if you don't know the trick... before you put the lens in your eye... hold it up... if it looks like a PERFECT SEMI CIRCLE... you've got it right... just insert it... but if it looks deformed a bit like it's been pinched on the sides... you've got it inside out.

also check to make sure you don't have the contacts in the wrong eye...

I swore I was good about making sure I put them in the right container... but on week I couldn't see very well... everything was all weird... so I thought what the hell I'll see if I did switch them... sure enough... when I swapped them back into their proper eye... BOOM night and day!

best thing is see an optometrist!
ebbs15 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome