Global warming makes me wonder - TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
First 1000 Member
 
jetskifast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Northern Calif, San Juan Island Wa
Posts: 1,897
Global warming makes me wonder

Parents just started European vacation, while on phone Mom tells me London has been in 70's. Edinburgh Scotland parents current location been mid 60's, door man tells mom he has worked at Hotel 29 years. First time he has seen flowers being watered out front
London have never seen temps above 60's, Edinburgh has been even colder with plenty of rain.
Maybe this global warming thing is true
jetskifast is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 02:21 AM
TWF Board Of Directors

 
Trip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 11,484
Send a message via AIM to Trip
Who cares, we can kill off all the plants and animals including ourselves and the earth will fix itself. Granted it may take a million years, but that isn't a lot of time to the universe. We overestimate our importance and damage we cause.

2005 Honda CRF88RR - 2007 Honda CBR600RR
Trip is offline  
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 02:25 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,673
There are some convincing arguements out there...

I dunno though, the time in which we have measured weather when compared to the age of the Earth is like comparing the width of a hair to a football field (possibly 2). Heck the last ice age was what, 14,000 years ago? That's like comparing the width of a pencil to that same football field...

So could this be a natural shift that we have not witnessed simply because we have not recorded weather long enough? Or is it a direct result of us wrecking our planet? A combination of both?

Many will say that shifts in the planets temperatures and other weather phenomenon do not occur so quickly... I dunno about that... There are competing theories for many things (dinosaurs for one) that support very abrupt, but natural, shifts in the global environment.

Last edited by OneSickPsycho; 05-06-2007 at 02:51 AM.
OneSickPsycho is offline  
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 02:34 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,335
I agree with OSP and Trip. I think we've been here too short of a time to know what is normal and what is not. I also don't believe we really make a difference in the grand scheme of things.
Captain Morgan is offline  
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
First 1000 Member
 
jetskifast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Northern Calif, San Juan Island Wa
Posts: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Who cares, we can kill off all the plants and animals including ourselves and the earth will fix itself. Granted it may take a million years, but that isn't a lot of time to the universe. We overestimate our importance and damage we cause.
Agree will not effect us in our lifetime.
But talking with friends from Europe global warming happening now
jetskifast is offline  
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 11:25 AM
Contest Winner
'07 Rally Veteran
November 2007 BOTM Winner!
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cbus, OH, and about 100,000 posts behind the post whore
Posts: 7,649
Send a message via AIM to drewpy
if we can do something to slow it down, why not? its true that in the grand scheme we are a blip on the geologic time scale, but why not try and make the blip last longer?



"It takes alot of anything to make my bike to something"
2001 RC51
drewpy is offline  
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 11:32 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 833
I believe the universe goes thru natural cycles- in the 1800 the world worried of a global freezing... it's all a natural cycle. Nothing we are doing is causing it- and nothing we do will fix it. Last winter didn't the country recieve record snowfall-
TOMMYTOM is offline  
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 12:02 PM
Contest Winner
'07 Rally Veteran
November 2007 BOTM Winner!
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cbus, OH, and about 100,000 posts behind the post whore
Posts: 7,649
Send a message via AIM to drewpy
i disagree with the "we arent causing it" idea, look at the trend between cardon dioxide and the global average temperature, there is a direct correlation between the two, and no one is disagreeing that we arent putting co2 in to the atmosphere, its a simple A+B=C , i just dont understand how ppl cant relate the two, its one thing to not understand whats going on, but to be ignorant of the facts and dismiss it without proper research is just a good example of human interferance of their enviroment, anyone know what happened to Easter Island?



"It takes alot of anything to make my bike to something"
2001 RC51
drewpy is offline  
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 12:27 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 833
If you look into it- there is as much "proof" that global warming is a myth as there is "proof" that its a reality. The media has became a big business- its not about broadcasting actual events anymore-its about ratings & bad news sells better... more $$$... thats why all the "global warming hype". There is a multitude of research for both arguements... I'm not convinced.
TOMMYTOM is offline  
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 10:04 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
i disagree with the "we arent causing it" idea, look at the trend between cardon dioxide and the global average temperature, there is a direct correlation between the two, and no one is disagreeing that we arent putting co2 in to the atmosphere, its a simple A+B=C , i just dont understand how ppl cant relate the two, its one thing to not understand whats going on, but to be ignorant of the facts and dismiss it without proper research is just a good example of human interferance of their enviroment, anyone know what happened to Easter Island?
Did you know that there is a direct correlation between ice cream sales and the number of drownings? Does that mean that ice cream causes people to drown? No, it doesn't. The two occur simultaneously because of warm weather, but neither causes the other. There is a difference between correlation and causation.
Captain Morgan is offline  
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 10:08 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,162
I poop alot...And i think the fumes have something to do with El Beanyo...
Brizz is offline  
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 10:09 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
Did you know that there is a direct correlation between ice cream sales and the number of drownings? Does that mean that ice cream causes people to drown? No, it doesn't. The two occur simultaneously because of warm weather, but neither causes the other. There is a difference between correlation and causation.
Statistics are a beautiful thing like that... Not to mention you can prove and disprove something with exactly the same information.
OneSickPsycho is offline  
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 10:10 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,058
Globa warming my arse!! This is the wettest coldest winter / spring we've had in probably 15 years!

It's really starting to tick me off, I can't ride my bike to work and save money because the forecast always calls for rain.
devilstonic is offline  
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 10:21 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesickpsycho View Post
Statistics are a beautiful thing like that... Not to mention you can prove and disprove something with exactly the same information.
That's one reason that I don't believe stats. You can use them to prove anything you want as long as you twist them the right way. I just wanted to throw that out because it's a good way to show that correlation and causation aren't the same thing.
Captain Morgan is offline  
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 10:36 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 679
Global warming doesn't exist. However, weather cycles do. Technically we're still coming out of an ice age so wouldn't it make sense that the earth would get warmer? By the way, anyone who has seen "An Inconvenient Truth" should know they exaggerated the numbers on almost all of the studies they cited.

Besides, it SNOWED in PHOENIX this winter. It's been over 7 years since that last happened.
brie is offline  
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 10:39 PM
Knee Dragger
'07 Rally Veteran
 
psychochild28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: TN
Posts: 890
Send a message via AIM to psychochild28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizz View Post
I poop alot...And i think the fumes have something to do with El Beanyo...

Focus is the ability to believe in your goal even as your path twists and turns.
psychochild28 is offline  
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 10:39 PM
Contest Winner
'07 Rally Veteran
November 2007 BOTM Winner!
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cbus, OH, and about 100,000 posts behind the post whore
Posts: 7,649
Send a message via AIM to drewpy
the term global warming is a bad name, it isnt all about the warming of the globe, its about the greenhouse effect



"It takes alot of anything to make my bike to something"
2001 RC51
drewpy is offline  
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 10:41 PM
Knee Dragger
'07 Rally Veteran
 
psychochild28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: TN
Posts: 890
Send a message via AIM to psychochild28
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
the term global warming is a bad name, it isnt all about the warming of the globe, its about the greenhouse effect
nerd....... j/k u need a break from studying...

Focus is the ability to believe in your goal even as your path twists and turns.
psychochild28 is offline  
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 10:47 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by brie View Post
Global warming doesn't exist. However, weather cycles do. Technically we're still coming out of an ice age so wouldn't it make sense that the earth would get warmer? By the way, anyone who has seen "An Inconvenient Truth" should know they exaggerated the numbers on almost all of the studies they cited.

Besides, it SNOWED in PHOENIX this winter. It's been over 7 years since that last happened.
Something in this comment made me remember something... Remember all those crazy hurricanes in '05... Everyone was pointing to their stats and claiming "it's just going to be worse next year"... '06 brought little... I guess we'll see this year...
OneSickPsycho is offline  
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 10:50 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesickpsycho View Post
Something in this comment made me remember something... Remember all those crazy hurricanes in '05... Everyone was pointing to their stats and claiming "it's just going to be worse next year"... '06 brought little... I guess we'll see this year...
Yep, it's all wait and see.
brie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome