So I need to brush up on my basic trignometry (and maybe some geometry)... - TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,233
So I need to brush up on my basic trignometry (and maybe some geometry)...

....it's been YEARS (years!) since I've cracked a book on anything even remotely related to geometry or trig, and I'll be the first to admit, I remember NON of it... Not one iota.

But I'm going to start taking some Autocad classes for work (allows me to cross train on other functions in my department, more job security, more money, etc....). I asked our Engineer if there's anything I should read or brush up on in the meantime, and he said, "You've taken trig and geometry, right?" I said, "yeah, like trig 101, one semester, many many years ago...." He shrugged and didn't seem concerned, but ... well... I am!!

So does anyone have any recommendation as to a good book (is there a "trig for dummies" ) or books to get me reacqainted?
neebelung is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 09:29 AM
TWF Board Of Directors
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by neebelung View Post
....it's been YEARS (years!) since I've cracked a book on anything even remotely related to geometry or trig, and I'll be the first to admit, I remember NON of it... Not one iota.

But I'm going to start taking some Autocad classes for work (allows me to cross train on other functions in my department, more job security, more money, etc....). I asked our Engineer if there's anything I should read or brush up on in the meantime, and he said, "You've taken trig and geometry, right?" I said, "yeah, like trig 101, one semester, many many years ago...." He shrugged and didn't seem concerned, but ... well... I am!!

So does anyone have any recommendation as to a good book (is there a "trig for dummies" ) or books to get me reacqainted?
Library..... Its a wonderful thing. If you want to buy a trig book, go to your local university book store.
Rider is offline  
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 09:32 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 372
there's a trig for dummies book on amazon.com, about $14
naldge is offline  
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Library..... Its a wonderful thing. If you want to buy a trig book, go to your local university book store.
Library? Is that one of those buildings with all the books? I don't think I've been in one of those since the advent of the internet!

(j/k... I actually am a proud library card holder )

I was thinking I might just hit the college book store. Just didn't know if anyone had any other brilliant ideas.

*sigh*

Studying.
neebelung is offline  
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by naldge View Post
there's a trig for dummies book on amazon.com, about $14
There really is one? NICE!! I was kinda kidding, but then again they have a "Dummies" book for everything...
neebelung is offline  
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 09:36 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,688
If you dont' remember any of it, a college bookstore might be a little hard to digest. Check the local yellow pages under "teacher aids" or Home schooling supplies. Find the high school geometry and trig books. YOu should be able to get the teacher's key and the work book.
justpucky is offline  
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 09:40 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,673
I've screwed around with a couple CAD programs and you probably won't really need too much trig... Especially if you are just teaching others to use it...
OneSickPsycho is offline  
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 09:43 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 707
I do Cad work for surveying. Everything i learned has been in the office :and im darn good at it to ...
papapoi is offline  
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesickpsycho View Post
I've screwed around with a couple CAD programs and you probably won't really need too much trig... Especially if you are just teaching others to use it...
No, I won't be teaching other people how to use it. I'll be learning it for doing mechanical 2-D drawings.
neebelung is offline  
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 09:49 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by neebelung View Post
No, I won't be teaching other people how to use it. I'll be learning it for doing mechanical 2-D drawings.
Oh, I assumed 'cross train on other functions' or whatever meant you'd be training others... Either way 2D stuff is REAL easy to do...
OneSickPsycho is offline  
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesickpsycho View Post
Oh, I assumed 'cross train on other functions' or whatever meant you'd be training others... Either way 2D stuff is REAL easy to do...
No, no, I'll be the one BEING trained.


So do I NEED to brush up on the trig, or not?
neebelung is offline  
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 09:57 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 707
For mechanical cad work yes i would recommened it.
there is a ton of trig geometry and even calculus in surveying but glad im just a draftsman so i dont have to rack my brain but i gonna start learning it eventually :P
papapoi is offline  
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by papapoi View Post
For mechanical cad work yes i would recommened it.
there is a ton of trig geometry and even calculus in surveying but glad im just a draftsman so i dont have to rack my brain but i gonna start learning it eventually :P
Thanks! I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend!
neebelung is offline  
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 09:58 AM
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,809
College bookstores are evil and the books cost too damn much.
Check out http://alibris.com
They sell used books. I found trig for dummies there for 8.88
Trigonometry for Dummies
TaintedLove is offline  
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 09:59 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by neebelung View Post
So do I NEED to brush up on the trig, or not?

It has been a few years since I took my CAD classes, but all the "math" I needed came right back.
I think you will be fine.
GSXRGirl is offline  
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 10:02 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by neebelung View Post
No, no, I'll be the one BEING trained.


So do I NEED to brush up on the trig, or not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by papapoi View Post
For mechanical cad work yes i would recommened it.
there is a ton of trig geometry and even calculus in surveying but glad im just a draftsman so i dont have to rack my brain but i gonna start learning it eventually :P
Ok... I guess it depends... Are you replicating known parts or creating new ones?
OneSickPsycho is offline  
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesickpsycho View Post
Ok... I guess it depends... Are you replicating known parts or creating new ones?
Both. Some of it will be working on existing bills of material, some will be creating new ones, and another element will be working on take-offs (creating roof plans from blueprints, developing materials lists, etc...)
neebelung is offline  
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 10:04 AM
TWF Board Of Directors

 
Trip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 11,484
Send a message via AIM to Trip
Quote:
Originally Posted by neebelung View Post
No, no, I'll be the one BEING trained.


So do I NEED to brush up on the trig, or not?
Nah, just show up. If you remember simple geometry you will be fine.

2005 Honda CRF88RR - 2007 Honda CBR600RR
Trip is offline  
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Nah, just show up. If you remember simple geometry you will be fine.
Think so?

I mean I've got TIME... I don't even know if they've found a class for me to get into yet, so it might be fall semester before I start it.. so if I SHOULD study anything in the interim, I have time.
neebelung is offline  
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 10:12 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 624
For run of the mill 2D cad work, I would brush up on my right triangle trig. The following page is a decent resource (there are dozens on line).

http://id.mind.net/~zona/mmts/trigon...tTriangle.html

Unless you are going to be deep in design work, I wouldn't waste my money or time on books. I am currently doing 2D layouts, and 3D machine design, and good ole right angle trig gets me through just fine.

Good luck!
6doublefive321 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome