Originally Posted by CBR Rider
Pigface, thanks for addressing that, but you forgot to address another of our misguided neighbors comments - healthcare. Last time I checked, everyone I knew in Canada who could afford it came to the US for healthcare.
You have a good point. At the same time, I've heard story after story about people having to wait weeks just to get a simple eyeglass prescription, etc.
I prefer private healthcare. . let *me* choose what to do with my money, and keep my taxes low. I've spent a lot of time in Europe, and London may be my favorite city in the world. . but every country has their own priorities. Nobody in their right mind would compare say a public dental plan to a private dental plan. That is in no way meant to be a shot at England b/c everyone knows we have well more than our share of issues.
It's sad that many people don't have healthcare. However, I know plenty of people take advantage of the system.
Last year was the first year in several that I didn't go out with our local chamber and give food and gift baskets to the extremely poor and needy here in Oklahoma City. 80% of them are extremely greatful. The other 20% have 5 kids, no job, and a big screen tv. .looking for a handout. They take the food and toys as if we owe them something, and close the door. THAT is the mindset of many people that want public healthcare. . they want everything given to them. In fact, they think the government and everyone owes
I do a lot for charity and look for nothing in return. However, when it becomes mandatory and my healthcare suffers b/c I have to pay for someone else's, that crosses the line.
At the same time, I do think it's utter bs that we can't get prescription drugs from Canada. . Our healthcare system is a racket and it's a mess, but IMO, it's the best in the world. Laughable to some, but I guarantee you this is the country I'd want to be sick in.
Like I said, I don't mean this to come across as a knock on Canada although I'm sure it seems that way. Vancouver is hands down the most beautiful city I've ever been to, and I've never had anything against Canadians. Well, I didn't care for French Canadians when I lived in South Florida b/c they took all the parking in the winter time, but that's a different story.
I think Ann Coulter (the lady in the video) is probably the only woman in the world that deserves to be slapped on a regular basis.