We met an amazing person last night - TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 155
We met an amazing person last night

A man by the name of Mark Brengi. I work with his wife. In March, Mark was in a terrible motorvehicle accident and severed his arm. I found out from a co-worker that his insurance will only cover $1500 towards a protetic arm, How ridiculous is that! The arm will cost $75,000. I have a special place in my heart for amputee's because my Dad lost his leg in Nam.

Can someone answer how an insurance company can get away with this?

Here is a link to the write up regarding the benefit. It was a lot of fun and the 400 people who showed up are a tribute to the type of man he is.

newspaper article
Bfly71 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 06:30 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfly71 View Post
A man by the name of Mark Brengi. I work with his wife. In March, Mark was in a terrible motorvehicle accident and severed his arm. I found out from a co-worker that his insurance will only cover $1500 towards a protetic arm, How ridiculous is that! The arm will cost $75,000. I have a special place in my heart for amputee's because my Dad lost his leg in Nam.

Can someone answer how an insurance company can get away with this?

Here is a link to the write up regarding the benefit. It was a lot of fun and the 400 people who showed up are a tribute to the type of man he is.

newspaper article
Read the story...pretty amazing he is even alive! Insurance companys sukk....that's why!
They are just legal extortionists....
brendanp is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 06:34 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,720
i love my insurance company, they basically bought my bike for me.


but as far as medical insurance goes, its a crock.

our healthcare system is so ****ed up.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline  
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 07:16 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,673
Medical insurance really only covers you for real basic stuff... Big stuff you generally lose your ass on...
OneSickPsycho is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 07:28 PM
First 1000 Member
 
jetskifast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Northern Calif, San Juan Island Wa
Posts: 1,897
Sounds like he purchased cheap health insurance plan.
Just like everything else in life, you get what you pay for.
Health insuranace plans spell out what is covered, not covered.
More expensive health plans offer better benefits
jetskifast is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 07:32 PM
mtp
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskifast View Post
Sounds like he purchased cheap health insurance plan.
Just like everything else in life, you get what you pay for.
Health insuranace plans spell out what is covered, not covered.
More expensive health plans offer better benefits

do you argue just for the sake of argueing?
mtp is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 07:36 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtp View Post
do you argue just for the sake of argueing?
Yes he does, but he is making a good point. The problem is, most people cannot afford what he is talking about... and those who can, would be able to buy the damn arm anyway...

I firmly believe that JST has 'rich guy guilt syndrome'... He's a hardcore liberal because he feels bad for having money...
OneSickPsycho is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 07:36 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,720
dont we all?
NONE_too_SOFT is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 07:52 PM
mtp
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Yes he does, but he is making a good point. The problem is, most people cannot afford what he is talking about... and those who can, would be able to buy the damn arm anyway...

I firmly believe that JST has 'rich guy guilt syndrome'... He's a hardcore liberal because he feels bad for having money...

I guess a med maja scrip and a water bong will round it all out
mtp is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 08:19 PM
First 1000 Member
 
jetskifast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Northern Calif, San Juan Island Wa
Posts: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtp View Post
do you argue just for the sake of argueing?
Just pointing out facts
Your wife asked why insurance company is not paying for arm.
Fact is he chose cheaper health plan that would not pay for arm.
Most states have insurance commissioner who makes sure health insurance companies play by the rules.
How many people would have showed up for fund raiser, if he said insurance company paid for arm

Last edited by jetskifast; 10-28-2007 at 08:21 PM.
jetskifast is offline  
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskifast View Post
Just pointing out facts
Your wife asked why insurance company is not paying for arm.
Fact is he chose cheaper health plan that would not pay for arm.
Most states have insurance commissioner who makes sure health insurance companies play by the rules.
How many people would have showed up for fund raiser, if he said insurance company paid for arm
Actually, for the sake of arguement, I asked how can an insurance company get away with this. It was somewhat of a rhetorial question. I understand the how and why of it.

Of course I can totally see why a hard working family would scrutinize their insurance policy and chose between putting food on the table and possibly needing an extra appendage.

As far as how many people would have showed up for the fundraiser. These are the kind of people that if they were having one - it was because it was needed and every damn person who was there last night would have been there again.
Bfly71 is offline  
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 08:41 PM
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,934
That's a good story. I hope he is able to get the arm.

Really, though, JSF is right. The more expensive insurance companies (for health, auto, everything pretty much) give you coverage where the cheap ones won't. They're worth the extra cash.
ceo012384 is offline  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 08:48 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 309
Sounds like Mark has accepted what's happened and is moving forward with a positive attitude. Hopefully he gets his new arm soon.
'73 H1 Triple is offline  
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 08:48 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
That's a good story. I hope he is able to get the arm.

Really, though, JSF is right. The more expensive insurance companies (for health, auto, everything pretty much) give you coverage where the cheap ones won't. They're worth the extra cash.
its really a redundant system if anything really serious happens to you. if you're looking for anything other than a 15 dollar copay at the yearly dr. office then you're gonna have to shell some clams.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 08:55 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,017
my buddy's health insurance paid for a titanium leg. he lost it running from a cop. he also received money from the insurance to buy a new gsxr with a modified linkage so he can shift with the right leg.

-a|ex
Back _Marker is offline  
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 05:54 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back _Marker View Post
my buddy's health insurance paid for a titanium leg. he lost it running from a cop. he also received money from the insurance to buy a new gsxr with a modified linkage so he can shift with the right leg.

-a|ex
I don't even know what to think about this one.
VatorMan is offline  
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 09:37 AM
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,259
Good to see people step up and help the guy...good story.
z06boy is offline  
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 09:58 AM
TWF Board Of Directors
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,074
Insurance companies are in business to make money. I never use a doctor and I pay hundreds each month for medical converage. Its just like auto or bike insurace. I am paying for others who need medical coverage. Im tempted to cancel all of my medical insurace and pay for stuff out of my own pocket. I'd save thousads each year.

I have a daughter (7yo) who has acid reflux desease and the insurace conpnay will not cover Prilosec or ANY drug that will treat acid reflux. So I pay for it out of pocket. Why am I still paying hundreds of dollars each month for basically no coverage? I should start up my own insurace company.
Rider is offline  
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 04:33 PM
mtp
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back _Marker View Post
my buddy's health insurance paid for a titanium leg. he lost it running from a cop. he also received money from the insurance to buy a new gsxr with a modified linkage so he can shift with the right leg.

-a|ex

that is a good example of what the world of hillary will be like
mtp is offline  
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 04:38 PM
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Insurance companies are in business to make money. I never use a doctor and I pay hundreds each month for medical converage. Its just like auto or bike insurace. I am paying for others who need medical coverage. Im tempted to cancel all of my medical insurace and pay for stuff out of my own pocket. I'd save thousads each year.

I have a daughter (7yo) who has acid reflux desease and the insurace conpnay will not cover Prilosec or ANY drug that will treat acid reflux. So I pay for it out of pocket. Why am I still paying hundreds of dollars each month for basically no coverage? I should start up my own insurace company.
Prilosec is OTC now so they usually won't cover it. You can always get samples from the pediatrician or get a waiver to get the meds. Most insuarance companies will listen to a Doctor. My daughter is on Prevacid. I know its about $200.00 a month and it is non formulary but we got it covered. It helps to be pushy to get stuff covered.
TaintedLove is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome