Wish Me Luck - TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 232
Wish Me Luck

Well today is the start of the MSF. I hope all goes well, I still haven't found any riding boots.

I went to 3 or 4 different motorcycle shops here in Fort Worth and surrounding areas and couldnt find any I liked. I tried on some Frank Thomas, Joe Rocket, and some others and they all seemed to either make my feet look like I had on midget shoes, or were just extremely uncomfortable.

So for the time being I have been riding in my vans with long pants on that cover the ankles. Yea, Yea I know "Those don't offer any protection"

I also got a little impatient and went to the DMV(Thursday) and paid to take the Written and Driving tests, Took the written and missed one question. Scheduled to take the driving and got there at the CORRECT Time! and the little b!%ch that was giving the test got lippy and was telling me I was late. "The f&&k I was, I was standing in line, but whatever you need to tell yourself." Well needless to say, it shut her up when I told her I was taking the MSF this weekend :

Well got the permit and have been driving around since. I have also learned that, Fear is the best teacher.
s0ulburn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 07:29 AM
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
All you need for boots is over the ankle anything!




-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 07:36 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,142
Like GM said, they dont have to be motorcycle boots. mine are the boots I wear in the shop in auto tech class. but good luck with the MSF course.
King Bob is offline  
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 07:40 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,233
Good luck!!! ANd HAVE FUN!!
neebelung is offline  
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 08:05 AM
TWF Champion
 
Phenix_Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SouthWest, PA
Posts: 3,230
Send a message via AIM to Phenix_Rider
Basically, anything is better than tennis shoes/ skate shoes. Look at any crash pic, those are the first thing to go. Nothing to really hold them on, and nothing to keep the pavement from burning through to your feet. Leather work boots are good.

Check This: Hot New Artist Sailing up the charts!

'07 Ninja 650R Candy Plasma Blue
Got Gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
All riders take risks- what you wear usually reflects your respect for the bike and general knowledge of riding.
Phenix_Rider is offline  
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 10:59 AM

 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,448
I agree w/ P_R and Gas.... Just about anything is better than tennis shoes (omg i've seen some folks riding in sandals before).


I used to wear a pair of Magnum Hi-Teks when I rode. Provides great support to your ankles and the hi-teks are quiet comfy (IMO).
Amblyopic is offline  
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 01:02 PM
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,934
Wear some work/hiking boots until you can get real riding boots. Take it easy until then. After the MSF, just keep practicing the MSF stuff in a parking lot. I've spent hours doing stuff like that. I still do.

Really, before you hit the highway, or anything above, say, 20mph you want gear head to toe.
ceo012384 is offline  
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 02:37 PM
Factory Racer
 
jalaan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 2,022
yeah, what ceo said.

'99 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-7R, My 3/4 Liter
".. speed, you can't touch it, but you damn sure can feel it! "
jalaan1 is offline  
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 09:56 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 199
Good luck with MSF. Remember, first rule for the class. HAVE FUN!!!!

After all, that is why you are learning to ride in the first place.

Then practice, practice, practice after you pass the class.

Ride safe.
Zepp is offline  
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 07:31 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 155
Have a GREAT time. We just took ours as you know. Now I am patiently waiting for MTP to get his butt in gear, buy the darn bike so that I can practice, practice, practice.

He has about another week - after that, I am going out and buying my own darn bike. *ducks and runs for cover cause she knows that is not going to happen*
Bfly71 is offline  
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 232
I finally found boots that work. Finished with the course today, learned alot. I think the thing that gave me the most trouble was the u-turn in the box after a few times I got the hang of it. Had a blast, really glad I didn't pick up a 250 though just not enough power for my liking. Anyways tomorrow off to the DMV
s0ulburn is offline  
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 05:42 PM

 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,448
Gratz bro....

yeah I remember going to the MSF course... I'd been ridin' like 5 or 6 months (hadn't had my big spill yet) and thought i was hot ****... it was quite humbling (the instructors were great) and damn i learned a lot....

I think the biggest thing they taught me was how to break correctly....


but yeah, just like everyone is saying... Practice Practice Practice.
Amblyopic is offline  
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 05:44 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amblyopic View Post
Gratz bro....

yeah I remember going to the MSF course... I'd been ridin' like 5 or 6 months (hadn't had my big spill yet) and thought i was hot ****... it was quite humbling (the instructors were great) and damn i learned a lot....

I think the biggest thing they taught me was how to break correctly....


but yeah, just like everyone is saying... Practice Practice Practice.
What did you break?



marko138 is offline  
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 05:49 PM

 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
What did you break?
luckily it wasn't *too* bad.... was out riding w/ a friend east of College Station TX on 105... became dark, started heading back to town.

but anyways about the 'setting.' I ended up w/ some pretty damn bad road rash.... i got real lucky. Did ~900$ damage on the bike.... like i said, could have been much much worse. I got hella lucky.

That's when I regained a lot of my respect for the bike again... some folks all it takes is once... some folks, once is the only chance they get. I got lucky.
Amblyopic is offline  
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 06:21 PM
TWF Champion
 
Phenix_Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SouthWest, PA
Posts: 3,230
Send a message via AIM to Phenix_Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amblyopic View Post
luckily it wasn't *too* bad.... was out riding w/ a friend east of College Station TX on 105... became dark, started heading back to town.

but anyways about the 'setting.' I ended up w/ some pretty damn bad road rash.... i got real lucky. Did ~900$ damage on the bike.... like i said, could have been much much worse. I got hella lucky.

That's when I regained a lot of my respect for the bike again... some folks all it takes is once... some folks, once is the only chance they get. I got lucky.
I have a question.


Why's it so damn hard for people to start with respect for the thing without being afraid of it? Seems most people are pricks/squids, or they're terrified. I think most of the good people are on TWF...the people that fall between those two.

Check This: Hot New Artist Sailing up the charts!

'07 Ninja 650R Candy Plasma Blue
Got Gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
All riders take risks- what you wear usually reflects your respect for the bike and general knowledge of riding.
Phenix_Rider is offline  
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 06:26 PM

 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider View Post
Why's it so damn hard for people to start with respect for the thing without being afraid of it? Seems most people are pricks/squids, or they're terrified. I think most of the good people are on TWF...the people that fall between those two.
I did start off w/ a healthy respect, but then started thinking I was more hot stuff as I went along. Real tough not to do so when you're young(er)....
Amblyopic is offline  
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 10:29 PM
Factory Racer
 
jalaan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 2,022
congrats on the course.

'99 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-7R, My 3/4 Liter
".. speed, you can't touch it, but you damn sure can feel it! "
jalaan1 is offline  
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider View Post
I have a question.


Why's it so damn hard for people to start with respect for the thing without being afraid of it? Seems most people are pricks/squids, or they're terrified. I think most of the good people are on TWF...the people that fall between those two.
On weekends my dad would work out in his shop, he would build all kinds of stuff. Before I was born he even owned a Machine Shop. And before I even started helping him he would remind me to keep my respect for the machine I was using. He would always tell me that the table saw doesnt know the difference between meat and wood.
s0ulburn is offline  
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 11:24 AM
TWF Champion
 
Phenix_Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SouthWest, PA
Posts: 3,230
Send a message via AIM to Phenix_Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ulburn View Post
On weekends my dad would work out in his shop, he would build all kinds of stuff. Before I was born he even owned a Machine Shop. And before I even started helping him he would remind me to keep my respect for the machine I was using. He would always tell me that the table saw doesnt know the difference between meat and wood.
That's what I was taught. Don't be afraid of a tool- just don't get in it's way.

Check This: Hot New Artist Sailing up the charts!

'07 Ninja 650R Candy Plasma Blue
Got Gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
All riders take risks- what you wear usually reflects your respect for the bike and general knowledge of riding.
Phenix_Rider is offline  
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 11:56 AM

 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,448
Yup Yup @ P_R & Soul.

Shop is one thing, I was raised the same.... Why is there so much difference between a spinning blade/bit/grinder and asphault seems so different?


Oh. don't remember if I congradulated ya or not, but gratz Soul....
Amblyopic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome