Guitar Players.. Need your help - TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
TWF Board Of Directors
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,074
Guitar Players.. Need your help

Can any of you guitar players tell me how to do pinch harmonics? At least I believe that what its called. Its the high pitch note the Zakk Wylde uses a lot and so does Adam Dutkiewicz of Killswitch Engage especially on "When Darkness Falls". Any help would be appreciated.
Rider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 09:11 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5,535
upshift is offline  
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
TWF Board Of Directors
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,074
I cant see that.
Rider is offline  
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 09:20 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I cant see that.
oh I dont play much guitar but the vid pretty much shows that you tap the string with your thumb after strumming. To get higher notes do it toward the bottom of the guitar and lower ones toward the neck.
upshift is offline  
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
TWF Board Of Directors
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by upshift View Post
oh I dont play much guitar but the vid pretty much shows that you tap the string with your thumb after strumming. To get higher notes do it toward the bottom of the guitar and lower ones toward the neck.
I'll have to check out the vid from home.
Rider is offline  
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 09:48 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,016
To get them down like Zakk or Adam is gonna take mad practice. It's all in how you hold the pick. You want to 'dig' at the string with the pick and your thumb. Try holding the pick closer toward the edge (if you don't already)...and make a deliberate motion toward the string.

It's probly gonna be easiest to do it on the A or D string. Also....where you strike the string is gonna make a difference too. Try different spots....over top of the pickups...closer to the neck.



marko138 is offline  
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
TWF Board Of Directors
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
To get them down like Zakk or Adam is gonna take mad practice. It's all in how you hold the pick. You want to 'dig' at the string with the pick and your thumb. Try holding the pick closer toward the edge (if you don't already)...and make a deliberate motion toward the string.

It's probly gonna be easiest to do it on the A or D string. Also....where you strike the string is gonna make a difference too. Try different spots....over top of the pickups...closer to the neck.
I do hold the pick close the edge. Less then a 1/4 of an inch of the tip of the pick shows. Because I play with a fairly heavy gauge pick (.88) I turn the pick around and play with one of the less rounded corners so it doesn't catch on on the heavy gauge stings I use (10 - 52 progressives) I'll try it in different spots.
Rider is offline  
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 10:37 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I do hold the pick close the edge. Less then a 1/4 of an inch of the tip of the pick shows. Because I play with a fairly heavy gauge pick (.88) I turn the pick around and play with one of the less rounded corners so it doesn't catch on on the heavy gauge stings I use (10 - 52 progressives) I'll try it in different spots.
Basically you're trying to pinch the string with the edge of your pick and the edge of your thumb.

I also use .88s. I use the green Dunlops....for guitar and bass.



marko138 is offline  
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
TWF Board Of Directors
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Basically you're trying to pinch the string with the edge of your pick and the edge of your thumb.

I also use .88s. I use the green Dunlops....for guitar and bass.
Thats what I use, Green Tortex although I just got a yellow .73 from the bass player of Fuel last week. I thought that was a little light for a bass.
Rider is offline  
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 10:42 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Thats what I use, Green Tortex although I just got a yellow .73 from the bass player of Fuel last week. I thought that was a little light for a bass.
I've seen some bass players use really light picks. Although....real bass players don't use picks.



marko138 is offline  
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
TWF Board Of Directors
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
I've seen some bass players use really light picks. Although....real bass players don't use picks.
A la Cliff Burton, Steve Harris, and Robert Trujillo
Rider is offline  
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 10:45 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,016
If you look close you can see the greenie in my right hand:




And attached if you can't see the pb....



Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	696299473_l.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	7403  
marko138 is offline  
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 10:48 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5,535
Nice bass marko...btw is that a misfits skull in between those two frets at the top of the pic?
upshift is offline  
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 10:49 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by upshift View Post
Nice bass marko...btw is that a misfits skull in between those two frets at the top of the pic?
Sure is. Good eye. I just got that sucker out and played it for the first time in about a year the other day.



marko138 is offline  
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 03:53 PM
First 1000 Member
March 2008 BOTM Winner!
 
pickle.of.doom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Howell,MI
Posts: 4,183
I use yellow tortex for my bass. Light grey dunlops for guitar.

pickle.of.doom is offline  
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 02:37 AM
Factory Racer
 
Bassplayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Leandro, CA
Posts: 1,431
Send a message via AIM to Bassplayer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Can any of you guitar players tell me how to do pinch harmonics? At least I believe that what its called. Its the high pitch note the Zakk Wylde uses a lot and so does Adam Dutkiewicz of Killswitch Engage especially on "When Darkness Falls". Any help would be appreciated.

Okay here goes haha...

it just so happens i just finished teaching my guitar student how to do this!
depending on how you hold your pick, and the angle in which it is held, AND the type of pick you use can greatly affect the ease of your pinch harmonics...

First you need to find the "nodes" of where the pinch harmonics are to be played. You achive this by playing a natural harmonic (lightly touching string with fret hand, and then picking) all the way down the neck, accross your pick ups down to your bridge. (imagining invisible frets.) The space in which your pick ups line up are usually good indicators of where they are located, (you will need to mess with it a bit to find the exact locations. you will notice these harmonics sound the same as the ones played at the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 7th frets. This is because harmonics repeat in the same pattern all the way down the strings Go slowly, memorize these locations between the end of neck to front of bridge.

Now that you know WHERE the harmonics are located, comes the tricky part the pick hand...

With your pick in between your thumb and index finger pick the string at the location of one of these "nodes" and let your thumb barely touch it. i mean barely! do the motion slow as if you were trying to do a natural harmonic with your pick hand thumb. Once you get how much pressure is needed to create the hamonic with your thumb, pick the string and grace the string at the same time with your thumb. It takes time! Lots of time! Be patient with it. Once you get it down in one fluid motion mess with different locations of nodes and memorize them.

Once youve mastered this, you can add tricks like bending the note and pinching, doing dive bombs off of one handed pinch harmonics (ala Dime Bag) all kinds of awesome stuff...

-----
Like i said this will take time and patience, but mess with it til you get it.
Try difrent picks too, sometimes that helps!
Tortexs
Stubbies,
I use Jazz 3's thos are my favs....


Tortex

Stubbies


Try all strings, the heaviest ones will resonate with practice, but start off on the G string, and D string. try fretting the 7th fret and PH the strings, then try the 14th fret, and trying, youll notice that with every change in fret the postion of your pinch harmonic varies a lil, so you learn to get it by feel...

Hope this helps a little... any questions PM me bro! Good luck

Last edited by Bassplayer; 11-30-2007 at 02:42 AM.
Bassplayer is offline  
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
TWF Board Of Directors
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,074
Great write up BP!
Rider is offline  
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 07:54 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Great write up BP!
Thats what I was trying to say. He explained it much better.



marko138 is offline  
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
TWF Board Of Directors
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Thats what I was trying to say. He explained it much better.
Report from last night????
Rider is offline  
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 08:06 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Report from last night????
Awesome show. I'll type up a complete report when I get a few more minutes later today. All 4 bands killed. Especially LoG.



marko138 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome