Radar detector for bikes - TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Sportbike Junkie
 
TIGGER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Greenville,NC
Posts: 658
Radar detector for bikes

I just got the Adaptive Technologies radar detector for my bike and it's pretty f-ing cool! It came with a bike specific mount,wireless helmet speaker, remote led alert (which is way bright!)and a kit to install it in my truck,if I want. Well,I've only used it for a few days but I must say that the system works very well so far. The number of falses are minimal even without setting it to the "no X" mode. It certainly falses less than my Valentine one!The company claims range comparable to Escort and Bel. They are certified by the same company which tests all radar/laser equipment. It's water resistant,has the display on the top,set on an angle so I can see it clearly,and has huge almost clownishly large buttons so you can change controls with gloves on. It also has jacks for a remote laser pick up and a wired headset in case your battery dies on your helmet speaker or you already have a bike communication system like a Goldwing or a Chatterbox.
The only "gripes" I have are that it didn't come setup to run a relay so the unit is only on when your bike is on($3.50 at Autozone fixed that) and the mount isn't fully articulated so you have to compromise on location to allow access to the ignition and sight of the gauges,plus the unit is kinda large. Their website is www.radarforbikes.com and they are shipping for free right now. Maybe if everyone gets a detector,it'll cut down on "bikes running from the cops" incidents!

TIGGER is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 07:48 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,673
OneSickPsycho is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 10:13 PM
Factory Racer
 
Stunt4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,398
Send a message via AIM to Stunt4Life
are u serious... is that ur sig


WOT is more than just a throttle position, it's a LIFESTYLE
http://www.myspace.com/dicedamoderator +me
Stunt4Life is offline  
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 10:17 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 71
Looks like a real bad case of signature whoring.
bradiniowa is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 01:00 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunt4Life View Post
are u serious... is that ur sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradiniowa View Post
Looks like a real bad case of signature whoring.
U guys love it.
OneSickPsycho is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Sportbike Junkie
 
TIGGER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Greenville,NC
Posts: 658
Ya know what would have been CRAZY?!? If someone would have remarked on my post......

TIGGER is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 09:17 AM
Factory Racer
 
Stunt4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,398
Send a message via AIM to Stunt4Life
Dunno how much thats really going to save you on speeding tho.
They don't need proof that your were speeding to prove wreckless driving or too fast for conditions. We have a radar detectors on our bmw and lotus, it's the passport 8500 x50 on them and they work well for their purpose. If your mounting it by your windshield then you need to run a clear shield.


WOT is more than just a throttle position, it's a LIFESTYLE
http://www.myspace.com/dicedamoderator +me
Stunt4Life is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Sportbike Junkie
 
TIGGER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Greenville,NC
Posts: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunt4Life View Post
Dunno how much thats really going to save you on speeding tho.
They don't need proof that your were speeding to prove wreckless driving or too fast for conditions. We have a radar detectors on our bmw and lotus, it's the passport 8500 x50 on them and they work well for their purpose. If your mounting it by your windshield then you need to run a clear shield.

Oh ofcourse nothing guarantees you won't get a ticket but having a radar on my bike has drastically cut down on tickets for me. It can help you avoid small 5/10 mph over tickets and it lets you know when to pull the trigger on the highway. It absolutely eliminated the night time cop radars you and then sneaks up on you down the road ticket. It also prevents the "did he get me" indecision ticket. Anyway,I only posted this as info for members who are INTERESTED in getting radar detector for their bikes,not to start some asnine debate over the benefits of having a detector or not. If you don't think there's any benefit to having a radar detector then why do you have them in your cars. Btw, no one really needed to know what type of cars you have....

TIGGER is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 05:54 PM
Factory Racer
 
Stunt4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,398
Send a message via AIM to Stunt4Life
Wasn't saying they have no bennefit, they really do, more so in a car i'm saying because none of the cars we have are really fast enought to "avoid" a ticket like a bike and don't have to worry about running a clean shield.


WOT is more than just a throttle position, it's a LIFESTYLE
http://www.myspace.com/dicedamoderator +me
Stunt4Life is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 07:46 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,127
radar on a bike = ghey
Daveon2 is offline  
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 10:44 PM
Banned
 
trock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The fix
Posts: 2,149
Send a message via MSN to trock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveon2 View Post
radar on a bike = ghey
dave = "deuche" like the gun in goldeneye
trock is offline  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Sportbike Junkie
 
TIGGER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Greenville,NC
Posts: 658
Gee whiz,couldn't you have waited to ban him until after I got to comeback from the "ghey" comment? I'll never understand this,I decide to post after being basically gone for months. I try to put something up I thought might be helpful to the general population. I'm imediately acused of being stupid and now homosexual! Why would anyone feel so strongly about wether or nor I have a radar detector on MY bike? Gee,I just can't seem to remember why I quit coming here........

TIGGER is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 08:57 PM
Administrator
 
ShanMan14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: FREE THE HOPS!
Posts: 10,104
Don't take it personally.
ShanMan14 is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Sportbike Junkie
 
TIGGER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Greenville,NC
Posts: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunt4Life View Post
Wasn't saying they have no bennefit, they really do, more so in a car i'm saying because none of the cars we have are really fast enought to "avoid" a ticket like a bike and don't have to worry about running a clean shield.

A motorcycle is the perfect vehicle for radar detector use,think about it. When your detector goes off what do you do? You decelerate and what vehicle on earth can slow down faster,from any given speed,than a sportbike? As far as the sheild goes,it only affects laser.
Man you have one of the best detectors in the world. It comes equiped with an earphone jack,an earbud cost $3 at radio shack. You can walk into best buy and get a hard wire kit ($10) or use the one that came with it, if you didn't already. Buy a mount for $50 or velcro it somewhere on the bike and be ready to go!!! If it kept you from one 47 mph in a 35 ticket,it'd be paid for!

TIGGER is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 07:23 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 71
I have a slight concern of being run over from behind.
bradiniowa is offline  
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Sportbike Junkie
 
TIGGER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Greenville,NC
Posts: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradiniowa View Post
I have a slight concern of being run over from behind.

Ok ,that's a concern I can understand! Yea,I do a quick check b4 hitting the brakes and when in a group I flash my brakes and advise everyone not to tailgate me. I've had a radar detector on my bikes since my '88 V-Max so I've developed a "system". No accidents involving the detector so far (knock on wood!) It's an individual decision,like I said,I didn't come on here to convince all of you to install radar detectors on your bikes. I got a pretty cool gadget for my bike and wanted to share my experience in case anyone was interested. Apparently not....see ya in another 3 months or so....

TIGGER is offline  
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 07:56 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 14
cool

cool
ucoby is offline  
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 12:03 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I just got the Adaptive Technologies radar detector for my bike and it's pretty f-ing cool! It came with a bike specific mount,wireless helmet speaker, remote led alert (which is way bright!)and a kit to install it in my truck,if I want. Well,I've only used it for a few days but I must say that the system works very well so far. The number of falses are minimal even without setting it to the "no X" mode. It certainly falses less than my Valentine one!The company claims range comparable to Escort and Bel. They are certified by the same company which tests all radar/laser equipment. It's water resistant,has the display on the top,set on an angle so I can see it clearly,and has huge almost clownishly large buttons so you can change controls with gloves on. It also has jacks for a remote laser pick up and a wired headset in case your battery dies on your helmet speaker or you already have a bike communication system like a Goldwing or a Chatterbox.
The only "gripes" I have are that it didn't come setup to run a relay so the unit is only on when your bike is on($3.50 at Autozone fixed that) and the mount isn't fully articulated so you have to compromise on location to allow access to the ignition and sight of the gauges,plus the unit is kinda large. Their website is www.radarforbikes.com and they are shipping for free right now. Maybe if everyone gets a detector,it'll cut down on "bikes running from the cops" incidents!
I went to this site and noticed that you ahve to buy each piece seperately. What was the cost of your final buy when you bought everything? Just curious thinking about getting one since all we have in oklahoma are flat open roads.
Eycman is offline  
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 02:30 AM
Learning To Post
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2
You need the extension sensor for bikes as your body gets in the way of the rear sensor (works for unmarked Bikes & Cars coming up behind you

Radar Detectors For Bikes
adaptivradar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome