Motorcycle Lane Splitting: Is It Legal? - TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,147
Motorcycle Lane Splitting: Is It Legal?

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Motorcycle riders often dart between lanes trying to beat heavy traffic, but are such maneuvers legal?

According to the California Highway Patrol, the answer is yes -- but it's not necessarily safe.

"It is legal for a motorcycle to share a lane in between other vehicles," CHP spokesman Don Oxley said. "If someone is going to lane split what we want to do is make sure traffic is going no more than 15 to 20 mph."

KCRA 3's Walt Gray strapped a camera to his helmet to capture what motorcyclists see and headed on out Highway 99.

Traffic was slow and Gray watched for cars quickly changing lanes or someone who might fling a door open to dump out some coffee. At times there was not enough room for him to get through comfortably and it was a judgement call for him to either try it anyway or wait.

"You see people zipping in and out of traffic and it really makes me nervous. You don't know where they are coming from ... sometimes I have seen them hit something," motorist Rachel Alexander said.

"People that buzz through there when traffic is 10 mph and they are going 30, 40, 50, 60 mph ... that's dangerous and they shouldn't do it," motorist Paul Brown said.

Ed Berrios, of Extreme Motorsports, has been riding for 30 years. He said he's seen some bad things happen when agressive motorcyclists go too fast while sharing lanes.

"They'll shoot up between the lanes ... something will happen where they'll clip somebody's rear view mirror and bounce off another car ... it's really bad," Berrios said.

"If you see a motorcycle coming up between lanes, move over a little bit and give them some room and let them go by. They're allowed to pass between lanes and we want it done safely," Oxley said.

The CHP adds that if traffic is moving at more than 20 mph, motorcyclists are expected to follow normal traffic and not split lanes.
bumblebee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 10:50 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee
"It is legal for a motorcycle to share a lane in between other vehicles," CHP spokesman Don Oxley said. "If someone is going to lane split what we want to do is make sure traffic is going no more than 15 to 20 mph."...

The CHP adds that if traffic is moving at more than 20 mph, motorcyclists are expected to follow normal traffic and not split lanes.
But what does the actual law that is on the books say?
Captain Morgan is offline  
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 11:57 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 53
I don't know, but in Utah we don't have a helmet law on the books if you're over 18. I would gladly trade a mandatory helmet law for lane splitting.
Willis is offline  
post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 12:00 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis
I don't know, but in Utah we don't have a helmet law on the books if you're over 18. I would gladly trade a mandatory helmet law for lane splitting.
hmm i'd disagree, the helmet law is much more important. If you don't want to wear a helmet than you are a SQUID!!!
R1up0n1 is offline  
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 12:05 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 53
You don't understand my post, I always wear a helmet, that's why I would want to trade and HAVE a helmet law and be able to lane-split.
Willis is offline  
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 12:08 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis
You don't understand my post, I always wear a helmet, that's why I would want to trade and HAVE a helmet law and be able to lane-split.
oh ok, but still then others will think...oh i don't have to wear this helmet.
R1up0n1 is offline  
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 12:25 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 53
Maybe I'd better explain this a little better, currently in Utah helmets are Not mandatory if you are 18 or older. Lane splitting is illegal. I want the helmets to be mandatory and the lane splitting to be allowed. That's where the trade part comes in. I don't care if the helmet law is mandatory or not, I always wear one, but others don't. Especially HD guys. They tend to wear those "protective bandanas".
Willis is offline  
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 12:26 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis
Maybe I'd better explain this a little better, currently in Utah helmets are Not mandatory if you are 18 or older. Lane splitting is illegal. I want the helmets to be mandatory and the lane splitting to be allowed. That's where the trade part comes in. I don't care if the helmet law is mandatory or not, I always wear one, but others don't. Especially HD guys. They tend to wear those "protective bandanas".
ok gotcha
R1up0n1 is offline  
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 12:40 PM
First 1000 Member
 
jetskifast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Northern Calif, San Juan Island Wa
Posts: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
But what does the actual law that is on the books say?
Law states you can split lanes up to posted speed limit, but no more than 5 MPH faster than flow of traffic.

02 BMW K1200RS Staintune many mods. Totaled by 16 year old girl
02 BMW F650GS Staintune many mods.
jetskifast is offline  
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 01:22 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 955
not legal in massachusettes, but they are commiong up with a bill to allow it...but right now its illegal to lane split here....
GsxrJack is offline  
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 03:38 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 461
I think it also has a lot to do with ego, as to why there's such a stink about lane splitting.

The guy or gal in their 40 thousand dollar SUV doesn't want that kid on the 2500 dollar bike cutting in front of them @ the stoplight that they've had to sit through two cycles at.

I just drove by the senate parking lot here @ the FL capital earlier today as I do everyday and counted zero motorcycles and countless SUV's.
snakemann is offline  
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 03:49 PM
First 1000 Member
 
Grafixx01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakemann
I think it also has a lot to do with ego, as to why there's such a stink about lane splitting.

The guy or gal in their 40 thousand dollar SUV doesn't want that kid on the 2500 dollar bike cutting in front of them @ the stoplight that they've had to sit through two cycles at.

I just drove by the senate parking lot here @ the FL capital earlier today as I do everyday and counted zero motorcycles and countless SUV's.

I HATE SUVs. Don't like 'em. Especially that everyone and their mother owns 'em.
Grafixx01 is offline  
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 03:52 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 461
Lane splitting is illegal in FL per Chapter 316.209 uniform traffic code
snakemann is offline  
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 03:54 PM
First 1000 Member
 
Grafixx01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakemann
Lane splitting is illegal in FL per Chapter 316.209 uniform traffic code

I don't know if it is legal or illegal here in Texas, I guess I should check that out before I do it again...
Grafixx01 is offline  
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 05:08 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVupON1
ok gotcha
holy ****
bulldog is offline  
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 09:18 PM
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
Yeah SV...I knew what he was saying from the first post!! Man o man...lay off the coffee or somin!

It would be nice if it was legal in MI but I don't care. When I'm doing it... I doubt any car is going to catch me... so whatever!




-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 09:22 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man
Yeah SV...I knew what he was saying from the first post!! Man o man...lay off the coffee or somin!

It would be nice if it was legal in MI but I don't care. When I'm doing it... I doubt any car is going to catch me... so whatever!
GM I live off coffee. I get a few hrs of sleep because I stay up so late ing. As you will see in another post from tonight in another thread.... I fell asleep ing with the laptop in my lap on the couch. Just glad it didn't fall over on the floor.
R1up0n1 is offline  
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 10:05 PM
First 1000 Member
 
jetskifast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Northern Calif, San Juan Island Wa
Posts: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man
Yeah SV...I knew what he was saying from the first post!! Man o man...lay off the coffee or somin!

It would be nice if it was legal in MI but I don't care. When I'm doing it... I doubt any car is going to catch me... so whatever!
Radio may catch you

02 BMW K1200RS Staintune many mods. Totaled by 16 year old girl
02 BMW F650GS Staintune many mods.
jetskifast is offline  
post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 10:09 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskifast
Radio may catch you
yeah but you can always run as long as ya don't see behind or in front.
R1up0n1 is offline  
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 10:13 PM
First 1000 Member
 
jetskifast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Northern Calif, San Juan Island Wa
Posts: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVupON1
yeah but you can always run as long as ya don't see behind or in front.
These days not worth it to run Penalty to great.

02 BMW K1200RS Staintune many mods. Totaled by 16 year old girl
02 BMW F650GS Staintune many mods.
jetskifast is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome