Panhandling.... - TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums
View Poll Results: Would you support a ban on panhandling?
Yes 11 57.89%
No 3 15.79%
Unsure 3 15.79%
Other...please explain 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
Panhandling....

Let's hear it... see poll!




-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 07:41 PM
First 1000 Member
 
JK_DILLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 5,314
It was banned in downtown Alanta last week. Some politicians argued it would prevent people from making a living. I dont call that living.

my one line signature
JK_DILLA is offline  
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 07:45 PM
First 1000 Member
 
Mudpuppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: State of Euphoria
Posts: 2,845
some of those people actually make like $40-$150,000 doing that shiiit.. Why ban it though? Some people actually need the money and are desperate..

Mudpuppy
TWF Resident Maniac
Wide Open Sportbikes

God told me to skin you alive

Mudpuppy is offline  
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
Not sure... seen it online as a poll... the only difference was they added "...popular tourists spots?" But I didn't think we needed that to spark a good conversation...




-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 07:50 PM
First 1000 Member
 
JK_DILLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 5,314
If they make that much, then they can sock it away (because they have no expences other than food). Get themselves an address (even if its a PO Box) Get a job and contribute just like the rest of us. im not insensitive to the needs of my fellow man, but i am not in the buisness of helping those who dont help themselves. There are always options, unless you live in communist china.

my one line signature
JK_DILLA is offline  
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
Good point there JK!




-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 08:17 PM
First 1000 Member
 
Mudpuppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: State of Euphoria
Posts: 2,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK_DILLA
If they make that much, then they can sock it away (because they have no expences other than food). Get themselves an address (even if its a PO Box) Get a job and contribute just like the rest of us. im not insensitive to the needs of my fellow man, but i am not in the buisness of helping those who dont help themselves. There are always options, unless you live in communist china.
I agree with you. I would never lower myself to panhandling no matter what. I am fortunate though that God has bestowed on me many blessings and the ability and talents to never have to worry about begging. However, just because we live in this manner we could never understand it unless we walked a mile in their shoes for sure. Some people might have true desperate times and need a little something to help them get by. It is always easy to say they can get an address, get a job, etc. when you are on the side of the fence with the green grass but think about it from their side for a minute - say they have no money, they are desolate, they have no ID, they have no birth certificate, they have no car, they have no job, they have no food, they have nothing - it takes alot to get an ID, get clothes for interviews to get a job, etc. etc. To us it is nothing because we are fortunate and have vast resources. Not everyone is like that. I do not condone lazy mfrs who just beg because they are too lazy to make a contribution. I am more playing devil's advocate and in my wife's words trying to have a little faith in mankind - meaning I believe there are some people out there that are truly needy. I think it is all the scammers, liars, cheats, lazy mfrs who give the truly needy a bad name and make us all say they should just get a job like it is as easy as waving a magic wand or something. We should all count our blessings and thank the good Lord everyday for everything that we have - our jobs, friends, family, houses, food, health, of course our bikes, etc. etc. We take WAY too much for granted..

Mudpuppy
TWF Resident Maniac
Wide Open Sportbikes

God told me to skin you alive

Mudpuppy is offline  
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
It always good to think about what it would be like if the shoe was on the other foot... good POV MP!




-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 08:29 PM
First 1000 Member
 
EIDROEDYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Detroit, MI-Rivercyde
Posts: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpuppy
I agree with you. I would never lower myself to panhandling no matter what. I am fortunate though that God has bestowed on me many blessings and the ability and talents to never have to worry about begging. However, just because we live in this manner we could never understand it unless we walked a mile in their shoes for sure. Some people might have true desperate times and need a little something to help them get by. It is always easy to say they can get an address, get a job, etc. when you are on the side of the fence with the green grass but think about it from their side for a minute - say they have no money, they are desolate, they have no ID, they have no birth certificate, they have no car, they have no job, they have no food, they have nothing - it takes alot to get an ID, get clothes for interviews to get a job, etc. etc. To us it is nothing because we are fortunate and have vast resources. Not everyone is like that. I do not condone lazy mfrs who just beg because they are too lazy to make a contribution. I am more playing devil's advocate and in my wife's words trying to have a little faith in mankind - meaning I believe there are some people out there that are truly needy. I think it is all the scammers, liars, cheats, lazy mfrs who give the truly needy a bad name and make us all say they should just get a job like it is as easy as waving a magic wand or something. We should all count our blessings and thank the good Lord everyday for everything that we have - our jobs, friends, family, houses, food, health, of course our bikes, etc. etc. We take WAY too much for granted..
I understand your point and this had never been so evident than when I was in South America (Brazil). My time there was an eye opener and made me that much more appreciative of what I have and can provide for my family. However, I can't tell the truly needy from the scammers so I don't support panhandling at all. I have no problem walking past anyone asking for a dollar, quarter, dime or penny. Also, I can say that I would do whatever I had to do, to keep from begging on the streets.
EIDROEDYR is offline  
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 09:10 PM
First 1000 Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 2,248
Its inevitable that someday, instead of asking for change..you will see panhandlers carying wireless credit card processing machines.

Currently bikeless
Was 007 CBR 600RR
was '98 YZF 600R
ne1469 is offline  
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 11:58 PM
First 1000 Member
April 2006 BOTM Winner!
'07 Rally Veteran
 
R1up0n1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Camp Hill / Hbg, PA
Posts: 9,790
Send a message via AIM to R1up0n1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpuppy
I agree with you. I would never lower myself to panhandling no matter what. I am fortunate though that God has bestowed on me many blessings and the ability and talents to never have to worry about begging. However, just because we live in this manner we could never understand it unless we walked a mile in their shoes for sure. Some people might have true desperate times and need a little something to help them get by. It is always easy to say they can get an address, get a job, etc. when you are on the side of the fence with the green grass but think about it from their side for a minute - say they have no money, they are desolate, they have no ID, they have no birth certificate, they have no car, they have no job, they have no food, they have nothing - it takes alot to get an ID, get clothes for interviews to get a job, etc. etc. To us it is nothing because we are fortunate and have vast resources. Not everyone is like that. I do not condone lazy mfrs who just beg because they are too lazy to make a contribution. I am more playing devil's advocate and in my wife's words trying to have a little faith in mankind - meaning I believe there are some people out there that are truly needy. I think it is all the scammers, liars, cheats, lazy mfrs who give the truly needy a bad name and make us all say they should just get a job like it is as easy as waving a magic wand or something. We should all count our blessings and thank the good Lord everyday for everything that we have - our jobs, friends, family, houses, food, health, of course our bikes, etc. etc. We take WAY too much for granted..


-My 2004 YZF-R1 - GYTR Exhaust, HID's, BMC Filter, PUIG DB, PCIII and more...
-2000 SV650 = Sold
-2003 R1 = Demolished, Sold
-2004 R1 = Lovin it!

http://www.myspace.com/r1upon1
R1up0n1 is offline  
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 06:04 AM
Banned
 
hooters_on_two_wheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Currently Terre Haute, IN
Posts: 278
Send a message via MSN to hooters_on_two_wheel Send a message via Yahoo to hooters_on_two_wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK_DILLA
It was banned in downtown Alanta last week. Some politicians argued it would prevent people from making a living. I dont call that living.

no, its simply called people refuse to go out and get a REAL job..therefore this is someone's way of making some quick cash to get by...I think its pathetic really....and people wonder why society is going down hill these days!

Off course when I was overseas in Europe....there was pan handling EVERYWHERE you went....even sitting in traffic....kids are running up and down the streets, car to car trying to get money from people....others trying to wash your windsheild for money...and the worst that I cant stand...are mothers using their children for money....UGH!!! that totally P*SSED me off!!!!
hooters_on_two_wheel is offline  
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 07:46 AM
First 1000 Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 2,248
Solution for panhandlers is to round them up and send the to a communist country i

Currently bikeless
Was 007 CBR 600RR
was '98 YZF 600R
ne1469 is offline  
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 09:02 AM
Factory Racer
 
2FURYUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lit'l Saigon, CA
Posts: 1,718
They're on every street corner out here. And sometimes very aggressive...

I've been on the soup bone line before and it's not pleasant. But, I didn't resort to begging to survive. You do what you have to do get back on your feet. I worked several shyyty jobs to make it thru and I can say it definitely makes you appreciate what you have once you get back on your feet.

YA THINK???
2FURYUS is offline  
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 09:04 AM
Ace
First 1000 Member
 
Ace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Nagasaki Saki
Posts: 2,006
Send a message via Yahoo to Ace
They wanna ban the Panhandle? In Forida? How they going to do that?

Never under estimate 15 beers, a little enlightenment, and the power of Rob Base and DJ Easy Rock ~Earl
Ace is offline  
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 09:09 AM
Factory Racer
 
2FURYUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lit'l Saigon, CA
Posts: 1,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace
They wanna ban the Panhandle? In Forida? How they going to do that?


YA THINK???
2FURYUS is offline  
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 09:12 AM
First 1000 Member
 
Earlzach's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: South, NJ
Posts: 1,396
Good points going both ways. As much as I love to help others, I still dont like the panhandling. You dont know when it is a scam or not.

Earlzach, Yamaha FZ1
"Some things are just best done NEKKED"
SOFAKINGII Owner David
Earlzach is offline  
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 09:12 AM
First 1000 Member
April 2006 BOTM Winner!
'07 Rally Veteran
 
R1up0n1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Camp Hill / Hbg, PA
Posts: 9,790
Send a message via AIM to R1up0n1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace
They wanna ban the Panhandle? In Forida? How they going to do that?


-My 2004 YZF-R1 - GYTR Exhaust, HID's, BMC Filter, PUIG DB, PCIII and more...
-2000 SV650 = Sold
-2003 R1 = Demolished, Sold
-2004 R1 = Lovin it!

http://www.myspace.com/r1upon1
R1up0n1 is offline  
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 09:17 AM
October 2005 BOTM Winner!
First 1000 Member
 
itgirl25's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: hanover, PA
Posts: 4,082
Send a message via AIM to itgirl25 Send a message via Yahoo to itgirl25
i never give money to beggars. i give them food instead. once i went to the hard rock cafe in baltimore for dinner. on the way out i passed a beggar right in front of the restaurant. i would offer my leftovers instead of cash. if it's food they want, there it is. if they refuse, it kinda makes you wonder what they want the money for.

when you turn your bike on, does it return the favor?



http://www.myspace.com/itgirl25
itgirl25 is offline  
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 09:24 AM
First 1000 Member
April 2006 BOTM Winner!
'07 Rally Veteran
 
R1up0n1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Camp Hill / Hbg, PA
Posts: 9,790
Send a message via AIM to R1up0n1
I do alot of audio and video work in churches...I see alot of beggers come into the church and ask or beg for money...the priest or ministers always tell them I can't give you money but I can certainly take you out for a bite to eat somewhere for lunch or dinner. The beggers ALWAYS refuse the offer. If they were that hungry they would take them up on the offer.


-My 2004 YZF-R1 - GYTR Exhaust, HID's, BMC Filter, PUIG DB, PCIII and more...
-2000 SV650 = Sold
-2003 R1 = Demolished, Sold
-2004 R1 = Lovin it!

http://www.myspace.com/r1upon1
R1up0n1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome