Two Wheel Forums banner

Basics for a wheelie

8K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  TATER 
#1 ·
#3 ·
it helps the absolute noob could be better i believe sounds like a project for someone willing also a decent vid for cornering/ knee dragging would be nice if anyone would like to try to take a project of that sort on can you say twf contest possibly

#22 ·
Dunno if this will help, but I also am still only learning how to wheelie and what I have found was the following.

The easiest method for me to get the front wheel up is with slip of the clutch, BUT I first practiced the power wheelies to get a feel for the front coming up.

I would go normally in 1st gear, then just when the bike starts to smooth out, I slip the clutch and give a twist on the throttle, this makes the front pop up, watchout because 1st comes up quickly....I still cannot do a 2nd gear popup, still practicing.

When its up there its ALL ABOUT THROTTLE CONTROL....I actually only figured this out today! I was doing grasshopper wheelies all the time with bad throttle control and actually posted in the newb corner for help, and on my why home I did a 1st to 2nd gear wheelie, and saw that being very smooth on the throttle when its up there works WONDERS....only thing is I practiced for weeks, and then it just suddenly all came together on my way home......

I have to say its a freagin good feeling....For me it's better than the first time you slide your knee on the track!!! Once you hit 2nd and you get the bike stable .... its awesome.

Hope this helps a bit....the experts would prolly say leave 1st alone, but for me 1st was the best way to get it up.....but thats my 2 cents and i am no expert.

Goodluck and have fun!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.