Two Wheel Forums banner

Dyno Testing

3K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Gas Man 
#1 ·
I had a very intersting conversion with a friend yesterday about dyno's. In my opinion Dyno testing is a waste of time unless you just need to show or brag about horsepower numbers. The thing that burns my skin is that some big time exhaust companies are saying that switching to thier exhaust will provide this much more horsepower and have the numbers to prove it from dyno readings. What a lot of people dont know is that a dyno can be switched to read in two differnet types of meauserments from metric to standard by the person doing the dyno to read differnet numbers to show a false increase in hp's. I have always been a firm believer in taking a bike to the quater mile a meausring the horsepower by the 60 foot et times and mph vs the reaction time. a slow reaction time and 60 ft time with a low et and high mph means that your working with power other wise i think it all just a waste of money and another hustle:readng:

#3 ·
A dyno measures torque. Then a formula changes it to horsepower. Some people like high rpm horsepower and some like low down torque. EPA measures a bike's exhaust at certain mph. On a dyno printout, you can see by the hp and/or torque dip where the manufacturer had to lean out the mixture for EPA. At the track or strip, you want max hp and can just power right through those dips.

But I ride on the street and that dip might be right at the beginning or middle of my cruising rpm. That might mean a hesitation when opening the throttle. The dyno can work perfect for tuning out those dips, either by changing the mixture through different jetting or a Commander.

#4 ·
I would have to call :wbs: with its a waste of money or a hustle. i have a dyno and it is a very good tool in tuning a motorcycle. Yes somethings can be changed to make your numbers higher BUT it will bite you in the ass if you do that kinda thing in the long run. what alot of people dont realize is its not how much HP you make but how you get to that HP. if you take a well tuned GSXR 1000 (lower HP)and a poorly tuned but high HP GSXR 1000 the properly tuned one will smoke the others ass everytime. Yes everyone wants to have the most HP but someone will always have one with more. When used right the dyno is well worth the money.

#5 ·
Moved thread to tech!

I must say I agree... it is NOT a waste of money. I think just the opposite Zukboy. The drag strip... :scratch: too many variables there! On the dyno, as long as the outside or shop weather isn't changing each pass is exactly the same.

As far as changing the dyno from metric to standard... there is a word for that... FRAUD! And we all know that on most bikes, changing the exhaust does increase hp/torque. The amount may vary but it does happen.

#7 ·
i have a question about dynos....bc i have a problem with my bike and nobody knows whts wrong...and then i was told to put it on a dyno and then it would tell me excatly whts wrong with it...so i was wondering if it was true:idk: :readng:

#10 ·
you can't beat dyno tuning. dyno's are useful in making adjustment from stock to modified. you can see the results of every mod you do.
on one of my race bike, I bought a stock 1993 zx7 with a dip in the midrange. a full pipe and jet kit (several runs and adjustments) removed the dip and increase hp all around. the pipe length was adjusted, needle height, jet sizes, and different filters.

on another race bike, we tested the difference with newly ported intakes and roughed up exhaust.

putting different bikes on the same dyno will show accurate results. every race team i've competed with uses a dyno.

- a|ex

#12 ·
05' ninja 636.....it starts as soon as u start it up....its been through 3 sets of plugs....every time i clean up the plugs the first 3 cylinders are dry, black and the last one is wet and black....and i tested it and it gets spark.....so :idk: :help:

#13 ·
05' ninja 636it starts as soon as u start it up....its been through 3 sets of plugs....every time i clean up the plugs the first 3 cylinders are dry, black and the last one is wet and black....and i tested it and it gets spark.....so :idk: :help:
What part of MI are you in? If your close to GR I might be able to swing by and take a look. If you are in the east, I bet Gas Man woulnt mind taking a look at it.

#17 ·
well i did use a power commander but it was just wasting gas bc the ppl who put it on didnt have a map on it......me and my buddy put the one off the website on it and it was better..but i took it off since this problem has been occuring.....i have a yosh rc5 slipon......but thts it

#19 ·
I'm in southeast michigan... about 25 miles south of detroit.

Further... remove the power commander. And if you interested in having it professionaly dyno tuned I would recomend BSB in Farmington, MI in the backside of Recreational Leisure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.