Q. about 1998 Kawasaki ZX-6 - TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 113
Q. about 1998 Kawasaki ZX-6

I've found a 1998 Kawasaki ZX-6 (not a ZX-6R. They look like two different bikes to me) that's in beautiful cosmetic condition, dark purple metallic paint, good tires, 26,000 miles.

I think the price is right ($3500). It would be my first bike. Has anyone an opinion to offer on what kinds of things I could expect and should look for?
Wadoka is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 02:36 PM
TWF Board Of Directors
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadoka View Post
I've found a 1998 Kawasaki ZX-6 (not a ZX-6R. They look like two different bikes to me) that's in beautiful cosmetic condition, dark purple metallic paint, good tires, 26,000 miles.

I think the price is right ($3500). It would be my first bike. Has anyone an opinion to offer on what kinds of things I could expect and should look for?
Is that the one with the dual cans? 1 on each side? Single headlight. There is one just like that here at work. Same color. That seems a little high. You should be able to find one of those under 3K.
Rider is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Is that the one with the dual cans? 1 on each side? Single headlight. There is one just like that here at work. Same color. That seems a little high. You should be able to find one of those under 3K.
Single "cyclops" looking headlight, dual cans, "banana" seat kind of like an F4i or Katana, rear grab handle like a mini-wing...
Wadoka is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 02:44 PM
TWF Board Of Directors
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadoka View Post
Single "cyclops" looking headlight, dual cans, "banana" seat kind of like an F4i or Katana, rear grab handle like a mini-wing...
Yep thats the one.
Rider is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 11:58 AM
First 1000 Member
 
EIDROEDYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Detroit, MI-Rivercyde
Posts: 667
I had a 95 ZX-6E as my first ride. The riding position is more upright, down on power in comparison to more modern bikes, and weighs quite a bit. Check NADA, kbb, or even ebay for a comparison price. If you do purchase the "E", check out zx6e.net. You won't find a better site dedicated to that model.
EIDROEDYR is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 04:31 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 646
$3,500 way too much for that. For that money you can find a good zx6r for that or even a more modern bike like a f4i. Check craigslist.com for bikes in your area.
jnn7404 is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 113
Well, I waited too long and it sold this morning. Ah well.

Now I know it's a pretty decent bike if another one similar to that one comes along.
Wadoka is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 07:57 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 8
$3500 is way to much, don't do it...I purchased a 2001 ZX-6R with only 6500 miles on it for $4000.....
ljcorby is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 07:47 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljcorby View Post
$3500 is way to much, don't do it...I purchased a 2001 ZX-6R with only 6500 miles on it for $4000.....


I bought my 2000 zx6r with 6,800 miles on it for $3,500. It was completely stock but still way better than the "E" model. I know you didn't buy it and be glad you didn't. Sounds like you are in a hurry to buy a bike. Check craigslist.com click your state and your or nearby city for a bike. I always see good deals on there. Between 3,500 to 5,500 you can get a great bike.
jnn7404 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome