Two Wheel Forums banner

Noob with 929rr PLEASE HELP!

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  CB1terror 
#1 ·
i got a problem with my bike its a 2000 929rr with about 12,200 miles and the other day i was riding to my buddy's house, perfect ride smooth everything, then when i go to leave i turn the key and the instrument panel dont work...it lights up the back ground but nothin displays ...no tach, speedo, miles, engine temp, nothin just the neutral light works and turn signals... so i take off the seat and check all the fuses everything is good so i jiggled around the starter relay i think its called its comes right after the battery...so anyways i jiggle it and it came back on but the next day i didnt want to turn back on for nothin can some one help?

#2 ·
My brother had a very similar problem with his 1999 CBR 600 F4. It turned out to be the starter button/switch (on the right clip-on). The bike would crank and run, but he had the same problems with the gauge cluster lights and the headlight. Just a thought.

#5 ·
yeah i check all that no corossion or anything all the wires are good but here is where it starts to get weird....i left the key on the "on" possition but i unpluged the started relay (the one right off the battery) and let it sit for abot 2 minutes and when i plugged it back in it worked...it turned on and everything, but when i start the motor it dissapears its driving me crazy and i dont know wha to do

#7 ·
i ordered it last week i found one on ebay for like 20 bucks brand new there like 90 at a local bike shop here...but it should be here tomorrow ill let you guys know if it worked or not it wont be till around 3 when get off work thanks for all the help guys

#9 ·
It could be the starter relay switch. But on my CBR, the relay switch won't work if the clutch lever isn't pulled in (or the lever switch is bad), or if the transmission isn't in neutral (or the neutral switch is bad), or the sidestand is retracted (or the sidestand switch is bad). Plus, yours may have a tip over switch. And even if all those safety things are done, and all the safety switches are good, the wiring or connections may be bad. Electrical problems are a b!tch.

#11 ·
That sounds like a problem in the dash. Or the computer. But before you do anything drastic and/or stupid check your speedo/tach sensors and the wires/cables leading to the computer and dash.

#13 ·
My tach reads off the spark unit, but my speedo is a cable off the front sprocket. Even if yours is digital, it reads off a different sensor than the tach. So it sounds like a connector is bad. I would follow the wires off the tach and speedo to see where they connect to the main harness. I would take that connection apart and spray it with contact cleaner and put it back together.

#14 ·
thats what i think im goin to do...but i already ordered a new starter relay for it of ebay because everytime i unpluged it from the relay and plugged it back in it would turn on...then when i start the bike it shut down again...but the backlight still remains on, weird....but ill follow the wires and check the relay that connect to the speedo/tach.......thanks guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.