Two Wheel Forums banner

thinking of taking my chain guard off

6K views 62 replies 12 participants last post by  Gas Man 
#1 ·
like the title says, i think it looks alot cleaner with them off, and i will obv put it back on when i have a passenger but i usually dont ride with one and i have the pegs off as well. Will it really get that much dirtier? even in the summer?:idk:

#3 ·
ahhh good call good call, i guess ill keep it on:cheers:

i was just watchin some moto gp vids and lookin at my bike and was like hmmm, prob would look a lot better

#7 ·
Take it off! I took mine off and it looks so much cleaner. Only one seat so i dont take passengers. It really doesnt sling that much oil. It looks neat with the fender removed also. I'll post a pic if i can ever figure out how. :2cents:

#8 ·
That may have come across wrong. All the people above have more experience that me and are correct that its safer to leave it on. I didn't mean to contradict. Im just saying that i haven't had a prob. yet and like the way it looks.

#22 ·
Please listen...

There are only a few things I feel strongly about or have expierenced. This is one.

I have had a chain come FLYING off my bike before. I was going about 75mph and the motor was turning at about 10,000 rpm.

When the chain flew off it SHREDDED my aftermarket tire hugger with molded in chain gaurd. It WHIPPED up and took out a 2" chunk of my undertail. Then proceeded thru the front sprocket, where it took out the front sprocket cover AND water AND oil pump, just before it put about 8 nics in the swingarm. Costing about $3000 worth of damage to the bike.

Trust me. Had I not had the chain gaurd on it surely would have swung farther forward before getting sucked up by the front sprocket, and hit me in the back of the leg.

The safety gaurd is there for a reason.

I, unfortuantely, don't have many pics of this... but here are a few that don't really show much...

#25 ·
Please listen...

There are only a few things I feel strongly about or have expierenced. This is one.

I have had a chain come FLYING off my bike before. I was going about 75mph and the motor was turning at about 10,000 rpm.

When the chain flew off it SHREDDED my aftermarket tire hugger with molded in chain gaurd. It WHIPPED up and took out a 2" chunk of my undertail. Then proceeded thru the front sprocket, where it took out the front sprocket cover AND water AND oil pump, just before it put about 8 nics in the swingarm. Costing about $3000 worth of damage to the bike.

Trust me. Had I not had the chain gaurd on it surely would have swung farther forward before getting sucked up by the front sprocket, and hit me in the back of the leg.

The safety gaurd is there for a reason.

I, unfortuantely, don't have many pics of this... but here are a few that don't really show much...
I hope you don't take this the wrong way but were you using a "clip" style master link or had you down converted to a 520 chain? Or (please forgive me but) did you install the chain yourself and did you use the proper tools? I have honestly never seen that happen in all my years of riding. If you do the math,quite frankly,it should be impossible based on the torque numbers of the bike vs the pull strength of the chain. But hey if there is even a doubt then I have to agree that you're probably better off with one than without,please disregard my previous post...as he skulks off to his corner.....

#23 ·
I have NEVER had a motorcycle chain break. I've owned 3 GSXR1000s and a Hayabusa. The only time I've even heard of a chain break was on a stretched turbo 'Busa and that guy admited that a) he should have used a 630 and not the stock size 530 and b) that his chain was worn out and he had meant to replace it. Oh btw he didn't get so much as a scratch and it did very minimal damage to his bike. I personally buy aftermarket guards for looks and to keep lube from flying around but I'd like someone to explain how that bit of plastic that was held on with plastic snaps would stop a chain from flying around if it happened to break? I always thought those guards were to keep stuff out of the chain,keep hands,etc out in case of a crash and to keep lube from flying around. Boy, you guys sure are mellow and safety conscientious! You don't want people to do wheelies, take off safety equipment( I bet some of you still have the safety stickers and reflectors on your bikes!), and EVERYONE should start riding on a Spree or Razz! What a bunch of :angelhap: s!!! HaHaHa!!!
I would just like to thank all of you for giving me something to do until I can ride my bike again!!! I really mean it!!!:hug:

#62 ·
im gonna get me a alum one for my 929 the dragstrip says you have to have a metal one. i broke the chain on my dads old tl1000s and it stood the stock chain gaurd up like it wasnt there. of corse it took a chunk out of the case and stuff. and no i wasnt beatin on it! it wwas about 50mph in 6th i burped the throttle a bit and snap! i know the chain gaurd took a beating but im glad it was there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.