DONT BREATH THE AIR!!!
One dead, one critical from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning at hotel ó Details in tomorrow's Citizen
BY TIMOTHY O'HARA
KEY WEST ó One man died and another man was flown to a Fort Myers hospital Wednesday after suffering apparent carbon monoxide poisoning at the Doubletree Grand Key Resort, according to police and hospital officials.
The father and son were found unresponsive at the hotel at about 12:15 p.m. The hotel was evacuated five minutes later, and the two men were taken to Lower Keys Medical Center, where one was pronounced dead. Six other hotel guests were taken to the local hospital complaining of symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Officers responding to the call at the hotel reported smelling a strange odor, their eyes burned and they felt dizzy when they entered the fourth floor room, said Officer Steve Torrence.
Last week, three other people suffered apparent carbon monoxide poisoning in room 416 of the hotel, according to two sources familiar with the case who asked not to be identified. In that case, an Iowa couple and their 22-year-old son were taken to an area hospital, the sources said.
Frustrated tourists evacuated from the hotel on Wednesday were given rocking chairs and bottles of water as they waited in the parking lot to be allowed back to their rooms. The hotel then arranged for shuttles to take the guests to the beach.
State inspectors were scheduled to arrive Thursday to determine whether the cause of the death was carbon monoxide poisoning.