Two Wheel Forums banner

Found a bike with a problemyone

2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  hawkoar 
#1 · (Edited)
Found a bike with a problem

Hey everyone. The other day I found a bike for sale near me. It seems like a decent starter bike, most importantly it is cheap so I won't care if i junk it after a month. Its a 1986 Yamaha FZ 650CC bike. But when I e-mailed him about it heres what he said about the bike:

When I purchased it, it had to be started by popping the clutch. I had it serviced, and was able to start it easily with the key after. It rode smooth the few times I did so, but began acting up after I filled the tank at a gas station. I'm assuming that the mixture of new fuel with the old (previous owner had also had it sit for quite some time, unused) caused some difficulties. It stalled out often after that, but seemed to run fine as long as it was kept from stalling again-then it was a time to start it again.

Just wondering what could be the problem with this bike, how easy it would be to fix myself (have basic mechanical skills), and also how much it would cost to get it fixed if I'm not able to do it myself.

Thanks in advance for the replies!!! - Don

Edit: Sorry for the spelling mistake in the thread name

See less See more
#2 ·
Its probably just carbs, from sitting but I would like to know what he is talking about when he says he started it by popping the clutch. Roll starting maybe. probably needs plugs too. It may not be much of a problem but seeing how the guy doesnt seem to know a dang thing about it, it would just depend on the cost to whether I would mess with it or not.

#3 ·
You'd be safe to assume that the bike has had a lack of maintenance or was improperly stored. The carbs would definately need some attention. If you've never done work on motorcycle carberators it can be challenging to say the least.
Aside from obvious stuff like the rubber (tires and hoses) check for corrosion on the inside of the fuel tank and battery/electrical (lights, horn ect).

Also that should be a FZ 600 not 650.

Those were pretty cool bikes so it might be worth the trouble, depending on how much time and effort and money you want to put into it. How cheap is cheap?

#4 ·
its honestly 1 of those things that looks kinda sketchy. its definately not in perfect condition. According to his ad its been under a trap in his barn for the past 5 years.

I am obviously inexperienced, but how much would a shop want to do the carbs? I've heard they are tough. I e-mailed the guy with a couple questions and depending on his response think I'm just gonna go take a quick look at the bike this weekend....first MEMORIZING that manual for purchasing a bike.

How cheap is cheap you ask? $100

#14 ·
I say for $100, go for it. I've spent more than that on gloves... If it doesn't work out, push it into a river.

My local shop will service carbs for $65 per (and it will have four) and then re-install and sync them up. A shop near you would probably be similar.

#18 ·
I say for $100, go for it. I've spent more than that on gloves... If it doesn't work out, push it into a river.

My local shop will service carbs for $65 per (and it will have four) and then re-install and sync them up. A shop near you would probably be similar.
:iagree: :slol:

#16 ·
Its worth $100 to use for maintenance practice. Practice taking the carbs on and off, removing wheels, etc. You'll probably even get it to run while you are tinkering with it, and you'll learn a great deal on how a bike works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.